Check your rates 7/20

We booked on a Past Guest rate and gave up our 9C aft wrap for a suite guarantee and saved $200 in the process. If the weather is lousy on our cruise the balcony won't matter much and I would rather chill in a cabin with a couch and chair than one with just one chair. Besides, I like the bigger bathrooms and all the storage space.

Just got an email confirmation that our form was approved, and they took the difference, but they also removed our OBC we had from our original booking. Is that typical?

When calculating if you are eligible for the price drop you have to include the obc you have.

For Example:

Your rate is $600 pp for a total of $1200 for 2

You have obc of $100

Your actual rate is $550 pp for a total of $1100 because you have to include the $100 obc.

The new rate is $500 pp for a total of $1000 for 2 with no obc

If you took the new rate it would save $100 because your total would be $1000 with no obc where as before it was $1200 with $100 obc.

You can't keep the obc you had and get the new price which has no obc.

If it was stock holders credit or a FCC then that is different.

Once again, no price drop here. No free cruise, no upsell or upgrade call.:(

Well, I have to take that back. I checked this morning and it was the same. Just checked it was $60 lower. Put in my ES Form and it was approved in 1 minute.:eek:

Well, great! I was going to encourage you that at least you still get to cruise, but now you have a price drop too!

You do have to be careful re OBC. After final payment, if it's just from price drops, it will keep adding up, but if it's promotion connected, you might lose it.

I prefer doing a mock booking to check prices. I just feel like I know for sure that I'm comparing the exact same thing that way.

When getting price drop adjustments, also note that another CC member who booked under a half-off deposit promotion had to pay the other half of his deposit when he repriced under a lower fare promotion that did not have half-off deposits. So just another thing to factor into your math to determine if the price drop works in your favor. Depending on the amount of the deposit, it might mean you'd have to pony up a lot more money now to save some money later.

Edited by undercat

I know I have a lot to learn still here. Please bear with me as I am slightly lost here. I am sure the best thing to do would be to contact my TA. But with the office closed at this time of night...

Here is a smidge of travel info: I have a 5 ppl in a OV category6B cabin leaving in Feb.

When I go to make a mock booking at Carnival site it appears all 5 berth cabins are sold out... it is my initial understanding that my OBC chance are all gone using price adjustments. Please correct me if I am wrong!:D

Any way so I went to the linked fare viewer and pulled up the same booking and "No rates available for your selections." is the message that shows, no surprise there... I so out of curiosity I tried same booking info blah..blah... but with 4 travelers rooms in same category 6B that are still available... and this is where I get a little confused I know not all rooms are equal as say most hotel rooms are (you could have 6ppl in a room or 2 in a 6sleeper room and it cost the same). You are paying for more than just a room on a ship I get that. But aren't most 5 berth room and 4 berth room grouped as same category when on same level? Are those types of rooms at all really different besides a roll away or something. Not really, I did 2 mock booking for same random date with available in both berth sizes and got the same exact room#'s as options with a 5 or 4 person cabin. The price was different by $249 before taxes/port fees. And this is maybe were I get a bit cloudy, I thought that at 3rd or 4th 5th persons booked in a cabin were not really "free" but covered by the cost of the booked category/size cabin with the initial cost of two (or this was the case on another cruise lines website -NCL-:rolleyes:). Of course taxes and port fees are per person add to the final cost.

It would then be my conclusion that guest 3/4/5 cost each $249 to be aboard and that cost is for eating/swimming/entertainment... (I am paying $259pp #3,4,5). I just want to make sure I not missing out on some extra $ $avings. Lol. 5ppl on an excursion adds up! An OBC would be nice but I am happy with the rate I booked at and the price only went up after I booked so no real love loss here. Thx. :cool:

When I go to make a mock booking at Carnival site it appears all 5 berth cabins are sold out

Hard to give specific advice without knowing cruise details and the make-up of your group. I think your countdown clock is wrong - nothing on the Sunshine 2/14/16, there is one on 2/13 (you might want to check that out, would be horrible to show up a day late, LOL)

Anyway, 1 suggestion, look at prices for 2 separate rooms, it may be close to the same and definitely more comfortable!!! And, depending on your group, you can have different categories, say Inside & OV That's what we're doing for ours, Hubby & I in a Balcony, and the kids (19, 19 & 20) in an OV close by.

Or, if you have younger kids, maybe look at booking 2 adjoining rooms where you can keep the door open. There are few of these, and usually go quickly.