Liberty of the Seas scooter question

I will be boarding the Liberty of the Seas in the middle of August for the first time. Unfortunately, 2015 has not been kind to me. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and needed ankle reconstruction surgery. Due to the surgery, I wasn't able to begin the medication for the arthritis that will eventually give me pain relief until the middle of June. I had high hopes that the medicine would take effect, but it hasn't.

I am considering getting a scooter to use for longer distances. I can walk short distances, but long distances are excruciatingly painful. Would it be possible to 'park' the scooter at the entrance to Windjammers/MDR and walk in myself? I have good pain days and bad pain days. I'm really hoping for more good pain days and less bad pain days in the near future.

My mom will also be in a manual wheelchair that my dad will push. Thankfully, due to her physical limitations we booked an accessible cabin.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful!

:)

You definitely may park your scooter outside the dining room and walk in. And if you need assistance to your table it will be gladly offered. You might want to request a table close to the entrance so you won't have to maneuver between tables or too far to walk.

I've done both over the last several cruises, and it has worked well.

There will be assistance available at the gangway when you debark at your ports of call.

Edited by songster2

My mom used a scooter on the cruises, and would drive to our table in the MDR. The staff would move the scooter out of the way until it was time to go. The only time we had problems with the scooter was going over the humps in the hallway, I think they are where the fire doors close.

It should be a lot easier using the scooter than not, wasn't anywhere mom couldn't go with it.

I have used a rental scooter in an accessible cabin for almost e dry cruise we have taken. What a blessing to have, makes cruising much easier for me and gives me independence from my hubby. We don't have to be together 24/7. Make sure you bring a some kind of power strip with you, their aren't a lot of outlets in the cabins. The charge cord they give you is long but, you will need the extra outlets to charge it. If you have ports that are Tenders rather then docked you WILL NOT be able to take the scooter on the Tender. They will assist you going up and down the bang plank in port and your mother in the wheel chair as well. Most of the time I will park my rental scooter at the Windjammer/dining room entrance but, you can use them to get as close as possible to your table and the wait staff will deal with parking it for you. Just make sure you get the key back after it's been parked. Relax and have fun! Both the wheelchair and the Scooter will fit in an accessible cabin no problem!

Rhonda

My husband used a scooter for several years on RCCL. We found the staff very helpful wherever we went.

Sometimes he took his and sometimes we rented from Care Vacations (recommend them highly)

My husband used a scooter for several years on RCCL. We found the staff very helpful wherever we went.

Sometimes he took his and sometimes we rented from Care Vacations (recommend them highly)

Care Vacations is also who I use. There is also Special Needs at Sea but, I personally have not used them but, have heard good things about them.

Rhonda

My DW is completely dependent on her scooter, which she has used on many cruises now. The handicap cabin is the way to go if you need a scooter. Just a couple tips about dealing with able bodied folk. You will notice that many of them will walk left and look right, so be ready to back off and wait for them to realize your there. You have to realize that for many folks, your below there normal field of vision. Keep your speed down and watch out for obstructions that can high-center the scooter. Elevators will be a problem, so you may have to use some tactical maneuvers such as catching an up elevator when you really want to go down. Some people will try to jump in front of you at the elevators. Some want to hold the door for you and some just want to cut in front. Patience is the watchword and yes, you can drive right to your table and the wait-staff will park the scooter for you and bring it back. Don't struggle to make it, let the scooter help you to have a good time. Most ships can easily accommodate your needs. Liberty is much newer and is essentially barrier free. We have been on her Sister ship the Independence and had no troubles. Remember to keep the scooter charged every night. There is 110volt available, but you will need a long extension cord if you want to park anywhere completely out of the way, and make sure not to trip on the cord in the dark. Enjoy.

I have used a rental scooter in an accessible cabin for almost e dry cruise we have taken. What a blessing to have, makes cruising much easier for me and gives me independence from my hubby. We don't have to be together 24/7. Make sure you bring a some kind of power strip with you, their aren't a lot of outlets in the cabins. The charge cord they give you is long but, you will need the extra outlets to charge it. If you have ports that are Tenders rather then docked you WILL NOT be able to take the scooter on the Tender. They will assist you going up and down the bang plank in port and your mother in the wheel chair as well. Most of the time I will park my rental scooter at the Windjammer/dining room entrance but, you can use them to get as close as possible to your table and the wait staff will deal with parking it for you. Just make sure you get the key back after it's been parked. Relax and have fun! Both the wheelchair and the Scooter will fit in an accessible cabin no problem!

Rhonda

I was able to take my scooter on the Radiance tender when in Icy Strait Point, Alaska, in May. I suggest asking ahead of time. :D