Getaway -Western Carribean Itinerary Change

garnet115

I just received a notice from my travel agent that the itinerary for my Feb 2016 Getaway cruise has changed, and that we are skipping GSC and going to Costa Maya instead. Anyone hear anything about this? I am trying to figure out why the change since it is NCL's private island that is being cut. I'm not sure how I feel about this change.

We're sailing the western route on Getaway in March 2016. I haven't heard anything yet about a change, but will keep a watch out. Update us if you hear more...

Will do. My travel agent didn't know the reason for the change, but did say that they are changing on "many ships."

Also, I just logged into MyNCL, and it is still showing GSC and its excursions as the scheduled port, so I don't know when the website will be updated.

There's another thread here on the board which talks about the private island is definitely running behind schedule. The gist I got was NCL slowed down the process to protect the ecological stability of the surrounding environment. Sorry, but I don't remember the thread name.

We're booked for July 2016 Western Caribbean. Costa Maya was always our port. One of the reasons I picked this cruise. Love Costa Maya. Just make sure you leave the port area. The Malecon is awesome. Tropicante is our pick when there. Check out the ports of call page.

There's another thread here on the board which talks about the private island is definitely running behind schedule. The gist I got was NCL slowed down the process to protect the ecological stability of the surrounding environment. Sorry, but I don't remember the thread name.

That is Harvest Cay in Belize that is new and running behind schedule. The port that was cancelled on this itinerary is Great Stirrup Cay, the private island that his been operational for quite some time. I was there last year and it was very nice.

We're booked for July 2016 Western Caribbean. Costa Maya was always our port. One of the reasons I picked this cruise. Love Costa Maya. Just make sure you leave the port area. The Malecon is awesome. Tropicante is our pick when there. Check out the ports of call page.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you like Costa Maya. I am definitely doing my research on where to go. At least right now, the ship offered excursions don't look too great. I will go independent if I need to, but was hoping to stick with the ship excursions since I got a promo that includes the shore excursion credit.

I just received a notice from my travel agent that the itinerary for my Feb 2016 Getaway cruise has changed, and that we are skipping GSC and going to Costa Maya instead. Anyone hear anything about this? I am trying to figure out why the change since it is NCL's private island that is being cut. I'm not sure how I feel about this change.

What date in February is your cruise?

FYI - this is the text of the notice I received:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Getaway's 7-Day Western Caribbean sailing from Miami, Florida on February 14, 2016. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

We have made a change to the ship's itinerary and will now call on Costa Maya on Friday February 19, 2016 from 8 am to 5 pm; the ship will be at Sea on Saturday February 20, 2016 and will no longer call on Great Stirrup Cay. Please review the updated itinerary information below:

Original Arrive Depart

Sun Miami, Florida 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Ocho Rios, Jamaica 8:30 am 5:00 pm

Wed George Town, Cayman Islands 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu Cozumel, Mexico 11:00 am 7:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sun Miami, Florida

Revised Arrive Depart

Sun Miami, Florida 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Ocho Rios, Jamaica 8:30 am 5:00 pm

Wed George Town, Cayman Islands 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu Cozumel, Mexico 11:00 am 7:00 pm

Fri Costa Maya, Mexico 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Miami, Florida

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Great Stirrup Cay your shore excursions will be cancelled and refunded. If you have any questions regarding shore excursions, please visit our website at http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8am to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you onboard Norwegian Getaway.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

After seeing your post earlier, I checked my email, and sure enough, there it was! I'm not upset - I love Costa Maya. This will be our third time there. The first time we did the Chachoben ruins tour with Native Choice. The second we went to Mahajual and ended up at Tropicante, but unfortunately it was cool and cloudy. I'm glad to have another shot to see that wonderful beach! The funny thing is that this was our third time with GSC on our itinerary and we have yet to actually get to go - twice due to weather and now this. A plus is that we don't have to tender to Costa Maya.

If you are going to Costa Maya, check out the Maya Chan resort. We book western Caribbean itineraries with NCL specifically to hit Maya Chan which is an all-inclusive beach resort designed for cruise ship passengers (and run by Americans who built it to provide what they wanted when they cruised). Note: Book early as Maya Chan limits the number of guests and often sells out.

I'm on the same cruise as garnet115 - I'm also a Pats fan. I think the reason we're getting bumped from GSC is due to "Gronk's Party Boat" - a charter cruise with Rob Gronkowski from the Pats. They are using the island Saturday and they are having all day concerts and what not. We were supposed to be there Friday - I think we got bumped so they could set up. That's my best guess, especially if no one else hears anything.

I'm on the same cruise as garnet115 - I'm also a Pats fan. I think the reason we're getting bumped from GSC is due to "Gronk's Party Boat" - a charter cruise with Rob Gronkowski from the Pats. They are using the island Saturday and they are having all day concerts and what not. We were supposed to be there Friday - I think we got bumped so they could set up. That's my best guess, especially if no one else hears anything.

Thanks for that info. Actually, we were supposed to be there Saturday, so that would absolutely explain why we got bumped. It looks like MSC Divina is supposed to be there Friday, so they couldn't switch us.

http://m.cruisett.com/p/Bahamas/248-Great_Stirrup_Cay/February_2016/

Edited by garnet115

Thanks for that info. Actually, we were supposed to be there Saturday, so that would absolutely explain why we got bumped. It looks like MSC Divina is supposed to be there Friday, so they couldn't switch us.

http://m.cruisett.com/p/Bahamas/248-Great_Stirrup_Cay/February_2016/

You're right!! I had the original itinerary wrong - makes even more sense now! Still, I wouldn't have complained if they tried to piggy back us onto the island, lol. :):D:):D