Fresh Fruit on Cruise

faith1989

Not sure about grapes and strawberries but I always see apples, bananas, cantelope, honeydew, watermelon, pineapple. While not fresh, there is also raises, prunes. I know there are others I am not recalling...

I do know there are chocolate dipped strawberries available for a small charge at the specialty coffee shop or cherry on top areas.

On our last cruise, on the Breeze, it seemed like they were always running out of bananas. I don't know whether or not ships are able to re-stock their produce while in certain ports. It may depend on availability at certain times of the year.

On our last cruise, on the Breeze, it seemed like they were always running out of bananas. I don't know whether or not ships are able to re-stock their produce while in certain ports. It may depend on availability at certain times of the year.

I think sometimes they "run out" because other passengers hoard them in their cabins. Evidently they then try to take them off the ship in Cozumel which explains the giant bin of confiscated fruit. :rolleyes:

I do not believe they restock on cruises. That is why the bananas get rather mushy toward the end of a cruise.

Running out of bananas is the norm. I'm guilty of grabbing early on a cruise too. I snack on them at night.

In the morning there's usually some canned fruit, usually peach halves.

Can usually find rock hard pears next to the apples.

Only seen grapes in in-cabin fruit baskets.

There's also grapes on the MDR cheese plate.

There is a lot of melon.

I notice this because I am allergic to melon.

But if you can eat melon, it is everywhere.

Berries are usually just a garnish.

If you order a grapefruit half there is usually a grape in the middle.

But there are always a lot of oranges and grapefruit in the morning.

Whole and peeled and sectioned.

The grapefruit are usually especially good.

Or on a cruise I have time to eat them...

Edited by mzloolue

We always (so far) get a fruit basket at the beginning of the 2nd leg of our B2B. The pears aren't even ripe before the end of the cruise so totally wasted since we can't take them off of the ship.

If there are no strawberries does the Captain walk around with Ball Bearings in his hand?

yep. they will run out of bananas toward the end of a 7 day. They have to load everything in at embarkation. Although I don't know about longer cruises. I seem to remember some reprovisioning on a 10 day cruise at St. Thomas. Something to do with FDA regulations.

Forgot to add.

If you really need a banana toward the end of the cruise, ask your waiter in the MDR. They can usually find one. I have also heard that the bars may also have them. (that is probably where my waiter has found them)

Edited by mapsmith

There's been lack of pineapple on our past cruises. Usually the have fruit in the morning/breakfast times on the lido.

I agree. I haven't seen pineapple on Carnival in quite a while. It seems to be mostly melons and bananas.

Pineapples, grapes and berries are usually part of the fruit plates in the MDR or are used as toppings for desserts.

Since supplies are loaded only on embarkation day, bananas do get ripe so run out after the first few days of the cruise. You will see more desserts like banana bread later on in the cruise...lol. Also, I think they will hold back some for use in the MDR.

On our Inspiration cruise, we found plums, nectarines, apricots, huge globe grapes, 3 varieties of pears , whole oranges and Kiwi on the morning Lido Buffet . We found these types of fruit to only be available at the breakfast buffet-station out by the pool area.... I believe this would be the grill area later in the day. It was a real treat over what the usual fruit offerings are.

This was the only cruise to date that I have ever seen whole apricots, plums, varieties of pears the big globe grapes, Kiwi and nectarines. Occasionally I can find whole oranges and the little grapes, but the norm on most ships are bananas, apples and sometimes the green pears. Not sure as to why...... Perhaps Carnival got a deal on fresh fruit during restocking ???

It is sometimes worth the effort to check-out the fruit offerings at a couple of different buffet lines. The fruit is normally set out at the beginning of the station so it's not too much of a hassle to walk up and take a peek.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app