RCL Tiki Hut Relax & Snorkel - St. Maarten

I did this excursion just this past Monday. :) I personally enjoyed it very much, and as a matter of fact it was our second time doing this excursion. I am in process of uploading photos to computer (just off Liberty today), so I hope to have some for you soon!

My son (now 10), said this was his favorite part of the cruise back in 2013, and it was again this time as well.

Some quick facts:

1. Water taxi takes you to floating platform. The boat is for the Tiki Hut and the Snuba. Boat makes trip every hour, so free to return to ship as you wish.

2. There is shade, but not much. A few umbrellas, and one structure on last platform.

3. Masks, snorkels and fins are all supplied for your use. There is a little "kiddie pool" should you wish to practice your snorkeling skills before jumping in the big water. They also have noodles and "floatie" belts should you wish some extra flotation help.

4. Cash bar and food - no food included in price of excursion.

5. All of your items are held in a basket for you, and if you need something from basket, just tell them your number and they get basket for you.

6. Many pretty fish to see as well as the sunken helicopter and boat.

7. You are VERY close to the Snuba experience, and the area can get crowded with snorkelers.

8. I could hear the moans of some people as we approached the platform, as it was not what they expected. It truly is made from 3 floating platforms connected together and it is by no means anything fancy. It is a very low key atmosphere.

Thanks for your feedback! We are sailing in a few weeks and trying to figure out what to do in St. Maarten. We have been there several times, but we haven't been there in 9 years! It will also be our DD's first visit there....and also her 7th birthday is the day we are there. Trying to find something to do and make it an extra special day for her!

Edited by hardingk

I hope seaotter's experience means they have fixed the place for the better. We did this excursion on October of 2013 and found the place to be very run down, including spots where it felt as if the plastic planks were going to give way.

After about an hour another snorkel trip came by so the water was crowded. With so many people and it being right next to the helmet dive, the snorkeling was so so.

We got out there about 9:30 but by 10:45 it became crowded and we were ready to go. The whole thing about a boat coming by every hour is bunk. We got there at 9:30 and did not see another boat to go back on until 12:15.

The boat ride back was awful as well. It was choppy and the "captain" was going so fast the front of the boat was coming out of the water. The seats were around the edge of the boat and there were no safety features. When he went over a particular large wave, this poor four year old kid went flying into the wooden bench across from him and started crying. Everyone was hanging on for dear life!

I hope this works with picture - trying one to see how it turns out. Attached as a PDF files, as JPEGS would not load. Will try more.

As HesterMofet wrote - yes, the place has undergone some fixing up due to bad storm, but it is a no frill place to hang out - nothing fancy at all. Expect to hang around in a wet bathing suit for awhile. :)

Untitleddocument (1).pdf

Picture 1: This is my son’s back...everyone gets safety lecture. Feet are in the “kiddie pool” for practicing before going into big water.

Picture 2: Fish in the “kiddie pool”. I bought an underwater camera back in 2013 - best purchase ever made.

Picture 3: Looking down at people doing Snuba

Rest of pictures in last file (description under photo)

Hope this helps and Happy Cruising!!!

TikiHut1.pdf

TikiHut2.pdf

TikiHut-3.pdf

MorePictures-TikiHut (2).pdf

Thanks for your thoughts on this excursion. I am stuck between this one and the Maho Beach and snorkel. I like the idea of a full snorkel day and being able to leave when I want. I still can't decide.

We did this 2 years ago and I was disappointed. Very crowded and not a real good snorkeling experience. After trying this I decided I would stick with going on a boat or to a beach with good snorkeling.