Suite life outside the Haven....

marc b

It's definitely not over the top to ask for meals in your cabin. I think Butler use depends on cruise, itinerary, etc. On the Breakaway, we ordered dinner once or twice in the cabin because we had been running around Bermuda all day and were just exhausted. You can order from the specialty restaurants if you wish. This last trip on the Getaway, there were lots of sea days, so we only used the Butler for the afternoon treats and a couple of late lunches after shore excursions. We tipped at the end. There is no shame in telling them which afternoon items you like best - and, of course, if you have allergies. To me, asking them to pack/unpack would be over the top...I don't mind running up to the buffet for snacks, etc., but the petit fours are really special :)

One of the things you will probably find is the "revolution of rising expectations." Once you get great service, stay in a suite, etc., there is no going back....And the Haven crew are generally outstanding. Think we just got an aberration - it happens....but the response was excellent...

And the Haven pool vs. the main pool is like a private island versus a day at Jones Beach....

Thank you for your reply Marc! We don't tend to be very high maintenance, and usually roll with the punches. We've never had a bad cruise, despite being with people who complained over small issues. I am looking forward to the "exclusivity" of the Haven area (hopefully without completely ignoring our travel mates) and some of the features of the butler. If you think of any more tips please pass them along! It's going to be a long year... sigh... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your reply Marc! We don't tend to be very high maintenance, and usually roll with the punches. We've never had a bad cruise, despite being with people who complained over small issues. I am looking forward to the "exclusivity" of the Haven area (hopefully without completely ignoring our travel mates) and some of the features of the butler. If you think of any more tips please pass them along! It's going to be a long year... sigh... :)

We had our first experience in the Aft Penthouse on Breakaway last year. You will love it. The is space was incredible. We were on deck 9, so had the largest of Balconies. Breakfast every day delivered by the Butler. I am sure they will not mind if you order extra meals for your travel mates. Several times we would want part of one item, and part of another. He would just bring both complete. He even brought lox one day when my wife had decided not to have them, thinking we had forgotten to ask for them.

We didn't ask him for much. He brought a few DVD's, made sure we got an additional robe and slippers for our son. I think my wife told him my son liked the M&M's, and grapes. So we always got extra grapes with the fruit, and we got a very large bowl of M&M's that lasted the week.

He was available at anytime, and the deck phone in the suite is nice to carry, since it gives you the ability call him, or anyone in your party that has Iconcierge phone feature.

Don't be afraid to ask for something you want. If it something they can get you great if not, no big deal. As for tipping, I gave it to him on the last night of the cruise.

We will be in the Haven on Breakaway again next month, but this time in the Haven courtyard. Hopefully we will take better advantage of the Haven.

Remains to be seen how much we use the butler this time. Since the main use was for breakfast on the balcony, and we will have a miniscule balcony this time compared to last, we may go to the Haven restaurant for breakfast.

Have a great time. The only problem with the Haven is once you have been in a suite, it calls to you for your next cruise.:eek:

We will be in the Haven on Breakaway again next month, but this time in the Haven courtyard. Hopefully we will take better advantage of the Haven.

I can't wait to hear your opinion on the two different Haven suites! I went back and forth, but opted for the large deck, particularly as my travel companions were able to score the adjoining "regular" cabin next to us. I hope we use the Haven area, but I'm sure it will be less than if we were right there. Have a fantastic cruise and if you can, let me/everyone know your thoughts on the differences!