Fred vs Toms

Nell, I didn't realise you were back. I thought you were away at the same time as Jak.

Did you get to see everything, and did you enjoy it?

Hi Happy v :)

We went on 25th July and had a fantastic time. It is the best cruise we've done. We loved the Eclipse! It is a really beautiful ship and the all round product was first class. Our tour in St Petersburg was wonderful and we can't wait to go back and see some more.

I've suggested on the other thread that you might try Boudicca on a day port visit, V. I'll soon be able to tell you my opinion. ;). I think Braemar is sailing from the Tyne next year or it could be Balmoral. Not got the brochure handy to check.

They are definitely worth a try Vee - I can't remember which area you are from in the UK but they do sail from many ports all around including Dover, Tilbury, Southsmpton, Liverpool, Falmouth, Glasgow, Newcastle & Edinburgh.

Ships are similar in size to Thomson, lovely deck & internal areas. Cabins are good too with tea & coffee facilities, safes on most ships (not all but not sure which ones don't have them), bathrooms were a good size with a nice shower - we had a superior 4 berth on Balmoral which was slightly larger than standard 4 berth on Spirit / Celebration. Loads of storage space.

Waiting & bar staff are mainly Filipino, Thai & Indian - all SO friendly & always smiling. The drink package whilst not fully inclusive we felt was very good & we did buy cocktails but our bar bill at the end of the 2 weeks for 4 people was not big!

No 'sell, sell, sell' on Fred & photos were a reasonable price too - £6.50 for a 7x5 picture.

No constant broadcasts over the tannoys; just generally the Captain's speech at midday & the CD usually in the morning detailing any information for the day.

Try them out - we started off with 2 mini cruises but we had already booked the 2 week cruise!

It might not be for everyone & whilst it has a reputation for being 'full of old people', age is a number, yes there were a lot of elderly onboard but a lot of the elderly can party hard - and there were all ages on too! The group I was with consisted of my 2 teens (15 & 18) & the rest of us are in our 40's & we all had a great time! I would also go onboard with just my husband too with no worries.

I made a special trip to get a brochure today. Made a cup of tea, started reading and found the girl had given me this years :(. I still read it and the itineraries are fabulous. I'll just have to try somewhere else tomorrow for the new one.

Jak have a great time:), I thought you were already there, I'm a bit out of touch at the moment:o.

Give Fred a ring on the 0800 number in the brochure and they will send you a new brochure.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Malch.

I had a look on the web last night and it said a new brochure was coming out in september so I'll wait for that.

I have one for 2015 already - it's orange coloured!

Mine's light blue, so I'll have to get the new one.

I think I'll order it as we have our granddaughter all week so definitely won't be going into town ;):D

Just realised no one has mentioned the Fred loyalty scheme which is set out in writing and not just a random thing like the odd bottle of fizz (if you are lucky!)

On return from your first cruise with Fred you receive a membership number and card for the Oceans Cruise Club and are entitled to 5% off any bookings made at least 12 months in advance, plus newsletter and advance notice of new offers etc.

Silver - When you have spent a total of more than 30 nights cruising with Fred it's 5% off for bookings made more than 9 months in advance, 5% off on-board spend and an Oceans cocktail party.

Gold - Exceed 100 nights cruising and it's 5% off bookings more than 6 months in advance, Silver benefits as above, plus 5% off pre-booked shore tours and welcome aboard gift.

There is also an on-board Rep for members and a land based Administrator for any enquiries.

Pity Thomson don't read this site any more. They could pick up lots of tips.

Malc.