Supper Club Reviews

power1user

Here is the first review...

We just got off the Carnival Miracle on Sunday, September 18th. Our experience of Nick and Nora's was absolutely terrible. As you read our review take one thing into consideration - we went as a group of eight. We know this very well may have been our problem. However we feel that just as we will give credit to all the wonderful things we experienced on our cruise we need to also let other cruise critic members know about the one area of our cruise that was a huge disappointment.

We have gone to "coursed" restaurants before and absolutely loved the atmosphere of a slow relaxing meal. However our meal lasted for 3 hours and 45 minutes. It was so bad some of our party left before dessert.

Our water never had ice in it and was lukewarm for the whole meal.

The beginning of the meal was passable. Our salads were delivered incorrectly and the wait staff was confused as to who ordered what. Several didn't care for the appetizer or salad they had ordered, but that happens. However after our salad plates were removed from the table we waited 45 minutes before our entrees were delivered.

When the entrees were delivered they were given to the wrong people (again) and the side dishes were wrong. One of our guests received 3 baked potatoes while his wife didn't receive her side dish at all (which was not a baked potato). There were only two meals of the eight that were right and good.

The men who ordered their steaks received them cold (one was ordered well-done and it was cooked but cold). The steaks ordered med and med-rare were also cold. Neither the filets nor the porterhouses were seasoned at all. The porterhouse was not trimmed properly and very difficult to eat.

The mashed horseradish potatoes reminded me of the instant mashed that my sister makes with no flavor - I think they forgot the horseradish.

The service was also terrible.

We had to ask for our glasses to be refilled. We asked the wine-steward about buying a bottle of wine - remember there were eight of us (six who may have drank) - and he said we couldn't, we had to buy it by the glass. When only one person ordered a glass of wine at the beginning of the meal, he never came back.

Our waitresses only showed up to deliver our meals (incorrectly) and to let us know 35 minutes into our entree wait that it would be another 5 minutes - which turned into 10.

When the matre'd was talked to regarding the meal she admitted they had really messed up our meal however they could not do more than take care of two or three of our individual bills or give us each a bottle of champagne. Well, several in our group don't drink and champagne would not have been appropriate for them.

This was their resolution: They reimbursed the gentlemen who sent his steak back for his meal. They reimbursed one of the other couples for one meal. Then they sent chocolate covered strawberries to 3 of the 4 couples. One couple in our group received NO compensation at all! They may have attempted to deliver strawberries to their room, but his wife was ill in bed the whole following day (partly due to Nick and Nora's and having to eat our dessert at 11:30pm)

Needless to say, we will never recommend Nick and Nora's. We were very disappointed to spend extra money on a meal that was horrible when we know we could have eaten in the dining room, had a great meal and Ryan, our waiter, would have been perfectly attentive!

In regards to the food being better than the dining room. Here is our take:

The steaks were worse than the dining room.

The Lobster was definitely better.

The "creme Brulee" is not true creme brulee! It is very good, but we had the exact same dessert in the dining room the evening before.

The salad I had was delicious, others however hated theirs.

The mashed potatoes were horrible (No flavor at all). The dining room horseradish potatoes were 10 times better.

The dessert as a whole were very good.

The only part of our meals that we felt warranted extra money was the lobster. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Our Recommendation? SKIP THE SUPPER CLUB. (at least on the Miracle)

We were at Nick and Nora's in February on the Miracle... could not recommend it more highly!!!! Absolutely FABULOUS meal, service and atmosphere. It IS a long meal... but having been to similar restaurants, that is expected. I'd say allow for around 2.5 hours... depending on you. We did not rush them at all and wanted to enjoy the full experience. The singer and pianist were wonderful... some from our group (Ricky :D) got up and danced... We had 6 top table.

The food was amazing!! Bread was wonderful with 3 flavored butters, next time I will go with the Spinach Salad, caesar was okay, but I have had better. The appetizers were great, our group varied in what they ordered and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I can attest that the crab cake and lobster bisque are amazing! The surf and turf was delish and NOTHING like what you could get in the dining room! The steak could be cut with a fork, the lobster was tender and perfectly cooked. The chocolate trio dessert was fabulous!!!

By the time we left we could not have eaten another drop... it was a full meal and then some!!!

Since we are doing reviews... here are some pics :D

1234.bmpth_food1.jpg

th_food2.jpg

This might be the wrong thread for this, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

I hear about people saying they had more than one starter, and I can't tell if that is in different trips to the supper club, or if at one meal they had two starters.

Can you confirm?

GC, you mentioned that you enjoyed the crab cake, the lobster bisque, and that you'd go for the spinach salad instead of the caesar... how many appetizers does each person get to try?

TIA!

This might be the wrong thread for this, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

I hear about people saying they had more than one starter, and I can't tell if that is in different trips to the supper club, or if at one meal they had two starters.

Can you confirm?

GC, you mentioned that you enjoyed the crab cake, the lobster bisque, and that you'd go for the spinach salad instead of the caesar... how many appetizers does each person get to try?

TIA!

You only get 1 of each course... however, we had a great team, and the waitress allowed me to get both. Others have been able to get 2 apps, some have not... but everything else, they are strict on "just 1"

Rose, yes!!! LOL! You will love it!!!! Here is the closest I could find to the menu from February... I understand the creme brulee is back on the menu!! WOO HOO!!! Also, they had a surf and turf... yum!!!

STARTERS

TRIO OF ESCARGOTS

Baked in Brioche, Wrapped in Rice Paper and Classic Bourguignonne

BEEF CARPACCIO

Sliced Raw Beef Tenderloin with Shaved Parmesan Cheese Marinated Mache Lettuce

SUSHI PLATTER

Ahi Tuna, Shrimp and Unagi with Pickled Ginger and Wasabi

ICED RUSSIAN CAVIAR

1 oz. of Sevruga Caviar with Traditional Condiments and Buckwheat Blinis An Extra $29.00 Charge will Apply

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Colossal Black Tiger Prawns with American Cocktail Sauce

NEW ENGLAND CRAB CAKE On Roasted Pepper Remoulade

LOBSTER BISQUE WITH VINTAGE COGNAC Fleuron and Fresh Cream

BAKED ONION SOUP “LES HALLES”

A Parisian Classic

SALADS

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, Traditionally Prepared

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS

With blue cheese, warm bacon dressing.

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD

Greens, Radicchio, Tomato Wedges, Purple Onion Rings and Watercress Choice of House, Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing

SIDES

BAKED POTATO WITH TRIMMINGS

SAUTEED MEDLEY OF FRESH MUSHROOMS

YUKON GOLD MASH WITH WASABI HORSERADISH

SPAGHETTI WITH FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

GRILLED FRESH VEGETABLES IN SEASON

CREAMED SPINACH WITH GARLIC

ENTRÉES

Our Steaks Are Hand Selected and Aged for 30 Days to Our Specifications. Carefully Handled and Perfectly Cooked.

BROILED NEW YORK STRIP LOIN STEAK

14oz of the favorite cut for steak connoisseurs

CLASSIC PORTER HOUSE STEAK

24oz of the best from both worlds

BROILED FILET MIGNON

9ox for the true Gourmet

CHILEAN SEA BASS

Lobster Nage-braised sea bass over young spinac and mango salad

BROILED LOBSTER TAIL

served with drawn butter

BROILED SUPREME OF FREE RANGE CHICKEN

with blackberry port wine reduction

GRILLED LAMB CHOPS

double cut lamb chops

served on five-bean cassoulet and rosemary jus

BROILED PROVIMI VEAL CHOP

center cut from the highest greade milk fed veal

Sauces Available

THREE PEPPERCORN SAUCE

WILD MUSHROOM SAUCE

SAUCE BEARNAISE

DESSERTS

CITRUS CHEESECAKE WITH HAZELNUT BISCUIT

Burnt Basmati and Mango Ravioli with Almond and Marcarpose Jam

WASHINGTON APPLE TARTE TARTIN

Served with Chocolate and Leon Balm Salad

CHOCOLATE TARTE WITH BITTER CHOCOLATE PATE

Raspberry & Pineapple Croquant, Tiramisu Notre Façon

FRESH FRUITS

Assembly of Tropical Fruits and Berries in Season, Served with Homemade Sherbet

SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL CHEESES

Well, I'm sorry that your experience was kinda crappy. I highly recommend the Golden Fleece on the Legend.

The four of us (DH, DS, DD and myself) had the 7:00 seating. We got to see the most beautiful sunset from the inside of the funnel! Also, since it was early, the staff was extra attentive, since the restaurant wasn't crowded. Milena was our Head Waiter, and she was exceedingly competent and knowledgeable about the foods she served, plus she had a great smile all the time. We had a complimentary appetizer of asparagus soup or a napoleon of ahi tuna and peas, and the napoleon was better by far. Appetizers were Lobster Bisque (the lobster was baked into a wafer that had the soup poured over it - yum!), French Onion soup (yum) and DD got a sushi assortment, which was undoubtably the best sushi any of us had ever tasted.

The Sommolier brought us the wine list and made suggestions, and we ended up with a lovely champagne that was perfect with our dinner. Salads were tossed with bleu cheese, ceasar or spinach with warm bacon, and all were fresh and tasty. Entrees were Broiled Lobster Tail, two NY Strip Steaks and the gigantic Porterhouse steak for DH. All three steaks were cooked perfectly and served piping hot at the same time, and the lobster tail was split, broiled and presented with drawn butter. Just heaven.

Sides were horseradish potatoes, broccoli, string beans and rice, and all were tasty. (Yes, we sampled each others' dinners!) For dessert, we got two apple tartins and two of the chocolate trios ... DEFINITELY go with the chocolate trio! Each one of the three little chocolate dishes were melt-in-your-mough delicious.

All through dinner, there was live music for easy listening and/or dancing, and it was wonderful. Service was top-notch. Next time we sail the Legend, we'll be dining at the Golden Fleece at least twice!

Rose, yes!!! LOL! You will love it!!!! Here is the closest I could find to the menu from February... I understand the creme brulee is back on the menu!! WOO HOO!!! Also, they had a surf and turf... yum!!!

YUMMY!

I'd do the surf and turf in a heartbeat! I think I see a new york strip with my hubby's name on it!

Boy oh boy, I hope they have it!

The DW and I also didn't find that Nick and Nora's lived up to the additional cost, overall. My opinions: I had the Escargot: Grade D. I found the Escargot much better in the main dining room. Wife had the Crab Cake: Grade C. Nothing good, or bad about it. We both had the Surf and Turf: Steak: Grade D. Not that it was terrible, or tough, or etc. It just had absolutely no flavor, like they forgot to season it or something. Lobster: Grade A. Very, very good! We both had the mashed potatoes: Grade C. Again, not good or bad. We both had the Spinach Salad: Grade B. We enjoyed the dressing.

I don't recall what we had for desert, so I can't grade it.

For the service I would grade it B+, but we were the only ones in the dining room on Monday night (at 7pm), save for a small group of the crew that were eating there, so I would hope they'd do a good job.

On our cruise, we spoke to friend's we met through CC, and they had great food and bad service, and the group that sat by us in the main dining room had great food and service. So, from this very small sampling, it appears as though there may be an issue with consistency, at least with Nick and Noras?

My Dh and I ate at The Point on the Conquest last December, 2004.

Unfortunately the only time available was early on a Cozumel shore day. We did a Tulum tour that got back late so we rushed to get showered and dressed to make our reservation.

We missed the music and dancing. I think because we ate so early, or they didn't have it, or I just wasn't aware of it.

My DH and I each order a cocktail before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner.

As far as I can remember we had the following for dinner.

TRIO OF ESCARGOTS (me)

Baked in Brioche, Wrapped in Rice Paper and Classic Bourguignonne

BEEF CARPACCIO (dh0

Sliced Raw Beef Tenderloin with Shaved Parmesan Cheese Marinated Mache Lettuce

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS (dh)

With blue cheese, warm bacon dressing.

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD (ME)

Greens, Radicchio, Tomato Wedges, Purple Onion Rings and Watercress Choice of House, Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing

GRILLED FRESH VEGETABLES IN SEASON (ME)

CREAMED SPINACH WITH GARLIC (DH)

BROILED FILET MIGNON (DH)

9ox for the true Gourmet

Surf and Turf - no longer offered (me)

I forget what DH had for dessert but I had the Creme Brulee's

The did give us a "little" extra appetizer from the chef but I can't remember what it was. :rolleyes:

Over all our experience was good. I'm looking forward to taking my daughter to the Supper Club on the Liberty and going with friends on the Glory.

When we went the charge was 25.00 per person. 30.00 would be worth it too. If it goes much higher I may not be so quick to go.

Here is the first review...

We just got off the Carnival Miracle on Sunday, September 18th. Our experience of Nick and Nora's was absolutely terrible. As you read our review take one thing into consideration - we went as a group of eight. We know this very well may have been our problem. However we feel that just as we will give credit to all the wonderful things we experienced on our cruise we need to also let other cruise critic members know about the one area of our cruise that was a huge disappointment.

We have gone to "coursed" restaurants before and absolutely loved the atmosphere of a slow relaxing meal. However our meal lasted for 3 hours and 45 minutes. It was so bad some of our party left before dessert.

Our water never had ice in it and was lukewarm for the whole meal.

The beginning of the meal was passable. Our salads were delivered incorrectly and the wait staff was confused as to who ordered what. Several didn't care for the appetizer or salad they had ordered, but that happens. However after our salad plates were removed from the table we waited 45 minutes before our entrees were delivered.

When the entrees were delivered they were given to the wrong people (again) and the side dishes were wrong. One of our guests received 3 baked potatoes while his wife didn't receive her side dish at all (which was not a baked potato). There were only two meals of the eight that were right and good.

The men who ordered their steaks received them cold (one was ordered well-done and it was cooked but cold). The steaks ordered med and med-rare were also cold. Neither the filets nor the porterhouses were seasoned at all. The porterhouse was not trimmed properly and very difficult to eat.

The mashed horseradish potatoes reminded me of the instant mashed that my sister makes with no flavor - I think they forgot the horseradish.

The service was also terrible.

We had to ask for our glasses to be refilled. We asked the wine-steward about buying a bottle of wine - remember there were eight of us (six who may have drank) - and he said we couldn't, we had to buy it by the glass. When only one person ordered a glass of wine at the beginning of the meal, he never came back.

Our waitresses only showed up to deliver our meals (incorrectly) and to let us know 35 minutes into our entree wait that it would be another 5 minutes - which turned into 10.

When the matre'd was talked to regarding the meal she admitted they had really messed up our meal however they could not do more than take care of two or three of our individual bills or give us each a bottle of champagne. Well, several in our group don't drink and champagne would not have been appropriate for them.

This was their resolution: They reimbursed the gentlemen who sent his steak back for his meal. They reimbursed one of the other couples for one meal. Then they sent chocolate covered strawberries to 3 of the 4 couples. One couple in our group received NO compensation at all! They may have attempted to deliver strawberries to their room, but his wife was ill in bed the whole following day (partly due to Nick and Nora's and having to eat our dessert at 11:30pm)

Needless to say, we will never recommend Nick and Nora's. We were very disappointed to spend extra money on a meal that was horrible when we know we could have eaten in the dining room, had a great meal and Ryan, our waiter, would have been perfectly attentive!

In regards to the food being better than the dining room. Here is our take:

The steaks were worse than the dining room.

The Lobster was definitely better.

The "creme Brulee" is not true creme brulee! It is very good, but we had the exact same dessert in the dining room the evening before.

The salad I had was delicious, others however hated theirs.

The mashed potatoes were horrible (No flavor at all). The dining room horseradish potatoes were 10 times better.

The dessert as a whole were very good.

The only part of our meals that we felt warranted extra money was the lobster. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Our Recommendation? SKIP THE SUPPER CLUB. (at least on the Miracle)

Since you started this thread, thanks for your review - that sounds like you had a VERY bad experience there... who was the hostess when you went?

How was your cruise otherwise? Shows - staff (other than supper club :) ) - boarding - your cabin.. etc...

Thanks!

Tom

My complaints about the supper club on the Glory had nothing to do with the food. They were:

1) Music- they should have a piano player or some other instrumentalist, not just muzak out of the speakers.

2) Ambiance- they have it located next to the jogging track, so the windows have their curtains closed, making the place a bit claustrobic. A supper club on a cruise should have a view of the ocean!

My complaints about the supper club on the Glory had nothing to do with the food. They were:

1) Music- they should have a piano player or some other instrumentalist, not just muzak out of the speakers.

2) Ambiance- they have it located next to the jogging track, so the windows have their curtains closed, making the place a bit claustrobic. A supper club on a cruise should have a view of the ocean!

And the 2 great things about Nick and Nora's was the singer and pianist, and the view of the ocean!!!! The ambiance was wonderful!!!!

I also do not care as much for the layout of the supper club on Conquest class vessels. I prefer the two level Spirit class layout (w/our seat in the upper level - great people watching too!)

Tom

I totally agree with the location of the supper club on the Glory. You have no ocean view at all, just the jogging track. The curtains were open while we dined, so you know what we were viewing. Even though we did not have a terrible experience, in our opinion we would have been just as well off if we had stayed in the dining room.

And the 2 great things about Nick and Nora's was the singer and pianist, and the view of the ocean!!!! The ambiance was wonderful!!!!

Chris, we had the awesome window view, but nothing along the lines of human entertainment. I still think that it was slow up there when we went because it was the first formal night, but I am glad you had great food and service:)

Tim

Chris, we had the awesome window view, but nothing along the lines of human entertainment. I still think that it was slow up there when we went because it was the first formal night, but I am glad you had great food and service:)

Tim

Sorry to hear that Tim! The entertainment they generally have in there is very good...nice and relaxing, not overbearing... people dancing... fantastic!!!! I'm hoping (but not overly optimistic) that it is the same on the Valor!!

We sailed the Glory this past August, did the supper club as to we were on our honeymoon. My thought it was a waste of money. Like other posters no scenery (except people gawking at you), sounded like a heard of elephants up above but the thing that really made me laugh was when I asked for a frozen daiquri-they told me they could not make one as it would make to much noise. I thought are they for real. The other thing I noticed was a couple came in with JEANS on and RATTY TENNIS SHOES--I was like:eek: . Not very romantic experience. Yes the food was good, but then again so was the dining room food. Again this is only my opinion and experience. If Isailed again and I plan on to I would not pay the extra money.

Tom N Cheryl,

The rest of our cruise was awesome. Embarkation was smooth and easy. I do think Carnival does a wonderful job of boarding. You never seem to "wait" long (although you really are).

Our room steward (Stephanus) was awesome. Like I said we sailed with friends, two of which roomed right next door. They loved the fact that Stephanus was available at their beck and call. We loved the fact that we never saw him. Cudoes to him for knowing his customers!

Our balcony was great. We will never cruise again without one. We spent a lot of time out there reading and soaking up the sun.

Our dining room experience was unbelievable. We had Ryan (head waiter for the upper floor) and he had each of our personalities pegged after the first night. He teased my DH relentlessly - which was perfect, but knew who didn't like to be picked on also. He was GREAT. His assistant Adriane was awesome to. The poor man didn't speak near as much english and had a horrible time of us confusing him, but took it jovially and we enjoyed his great attitude. The bar steward assigned to our area was the best. Several in our group don't drink and he knew to have cokes at the table for them each night. We tipped him extra just for that because we knew he didn't get as many tips as he would have with heavy drinkers.

Our ports were fun also. I posted on the Belize thread about our wonderful time there (cave-tubing.com). I will also be posting about a great private excursion we had in Grand Cayman. (Nautigal Private Sail boat charters at grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com)

Nothing exceptional in Costa Maya or Cozumel - just shopping.

Debarkation was great also. We only had one complaint and that was standing in line through the casino where people were smoking. Otherwise, very smooth even with a delay by port authorities/customs because of baggage concerns.

Tom N Cheryl,

The rest of our cruise was awesome. Embarkation was smooth and easy. I do think Carnival does a wonderful job of boarding. You never seem to "wait" long (although you really are).

Our room steward (Stephanus) was awesome. Like I said we sailed with friends, two of which roomed right next door. They loved the fact that Stephanus was available at their beck and call. We loved the fact that we never saw him. Cudoes to him for knowing his customers!

Our balcony was great. We will never cruise again without one. We spent a lot of time out there reading and soaking up the sun.

Our dining room experience was unbelievable. We had Ryan (head waiter for the upper floor) and he had each of our personalities pegged after the first night. He teased my DH relentlessly - which was perfect, but knew who didn't like to be picked on also. He was GREAT. His assistant Adriane was awesome to. The poor man didn't speak near as much english and had a horrible time of us confusing him, but took it jovially and we enjoyed his great attitude. The bar steward assigned to our area was the best. Several in our group don't drink and he knew to have cokes at the table for them each night. We tipped him extra just for that because we knew he didn't get as many tips as he would have with heavy drinkers.

Our ports were fun also. I posted on the Belize thread about our wonderful time there (cave-tubing.com). I will also be posting about a great private excursion we had in Grand Cayman. (Nautigal Private Sail boat charters at grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com)

Nothing exceptional in Costa Maya or Cozumel - just shopping.

Debarkation was great also. We only had one complaint and that was standing in line through the casino where people were smoking. Otherwise, very smooth even with a delay by port authorities/customs because of baggage concerns.

Thanks for filling in the gaps! We also had an extended debarkation once on the Sensation, and could not get away from the smokers!

Perhaps something has changed since our July Miracle cruise. We dined at N&N's 5 straight nights, and other than one night where I could not cut my filet with a fork (no kidding, the filet is USUALLY very tender!) everything was PERFECT - glasses constantly topped off - perfectly heated/cooked/seasoned foods... it could not have been better.

Ivana was the hostess when we were there (she was filling in for Zsa-Zsa). The sous chef even came up to our table after a couple of nights and talked with us. He asked if there was anything special he could make the next evening - Mushroom Truffle Soup he suggested after we threw a few ideas around... WOW, it was top notch - we even asked if he could make that for us again this Thanksgiving!

I hope we do not encounter even a fraction of the issues you had there - was it busy when you went? We dined there at 6pm each evening, and it was never very busy (at least at that time!).... our meal was complete after 1.5 to 2 hours. We did skip the dessert 2 or 3 nights, as we simply did not have any room left, and we did not want to be in PAIN the rest of the evening :D

Tom

I've been to two of the supper clubs - Scarlett's on the Valor, and the Emerald Room on the Glory.

In Scarlett's I had the shrimp cocktail for appetizer, spinach salad, the filet mignon for main course and the citrus cheesecake for dessert. Everything, from service to food to atmosphere (a duo was singing I believe) was excellent! Only complaint here (if you can call it that) was that you couldn't order two appetizers - only one.

In the Emerald Room, I had (again) the shrimp cocktail, ceasar's salad, surf and turf for the main course and the citrus cheescake for dessert. I can't remember if there was a duo (I don't think so) but I seem to remember some sort of music was playing. Of the two salads, I do think the spinach salad is better, and I like the surf and turf instead of just the filet mignon alone. It came with a pumpkin ravioli and a great asparagus tart that I just loved! By the way I ordered the horseradish potatoes both times and found that they were better on the Valor. Service was good in the Emerald Room, and someone in my party had ordered two appetizers and the waitress didn't object at all!

While both were good choices and I would patronize both of them again if I have the chance, overall, I think Scarlett's was slightly better.

Hope this review helps a little!

Have a great night,

Cathy

Archived