first time parents, what's your experience with NCL's youth programs?

E46M3

We're booked for the Getaway in Oct. We are a family of 3, our little girl will be a little over 3 by the time of the cruise. Since we're first time parents, we're probably a little nervous about dropping her off at the youth program. But we're open to the idea nonetheless as we'd like to have some alone time for shows, and dinners. My wife has taken her to shorter classes here at home where she's dropped off for a couple hours. But she cried for the first few minutes but overall she did fine. What's your experience like with NCL youth programs? Tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by E46M3

We used the Splash Academy services on the Gem when our boys were 7 & 9, but have used kid's clubs on another line 3 days after our youngest turned 3. NCL's program is well run, the check out procedure is very safe. Adults aren't allowed in at all after embarkation/registration. The counselors were trained and very interactive with the kids anytime we were there for drop-off or pick-up. Our son participated in a pirate parade and treasure hunt that went around the ship. The theme is different each day, and I was impressed with how detailed the decorations and activities were each day. We were in a suite, so we had a cordless phone that they were able to contact us with. If you don't have that benefit, they ask where you plan to be while your child is there so they can contact you if needed. Hope that helps - feel free to ask any other questions that I may be able to answer.

We cruised on Gem when DD was 3 1/2. I wasn't hoping that she would go to the kids' club very often but we still went to the open house to register her. Our isuue was that we don't speak English at home - she hears a bit of English at daycare but not enough to speak it yet. I thought that she would feel lonely over there, even more when I realized that no one spoke French fluently at the club. We were given a phone so they could give us a call if there was a communication issue. To my surprise she spent 1h to 2h at the time at the club and she requested to go almost every day. So I would say to try it first at a time that you can come pick her up quickly if needed (ie don't plan a fancy, long dinner the first evening). Your daughter might like it more than you hope!

We went in April and our 3-year old absolutely loved it. He came with us on the first day for registration of course, and got so excited by seeing all the toys and activities that when we brought him the next day, he ran in without a backwards glance.

It's hard to predict how they'll react at that age. We haven't done NCL yet, but other cruise lines will give you a pager to buzz you if there's a problem. I would let the counselors know if you want to be buzzed if she's crying for more than a specified period of time. I think some parents have the "don't bother us unless she's bleeding profusely" attitude, so they won't necessarily buzz you if she's just unhappy. I've also done the thing where I hide out of sight to listen to see if I can hear her stop crying. I've also come by and peeked in -- but that's more risky -- if they see you, you might not get away.

The club on NCL called me at dinner the first two nights. The first night, he was sleepy but wanted a real bed instead of the mats they had. The second night, he was simply asking for me. I didn't ask how long he'd been fussing either time. And with time zones and jet lag, he was well past his bedtime anyway. We never heard from them after that though.

What ship are you sailing? My daughter is 4.5 and has been on three cruises since turning 3 and being old enough for Splash Academy. My husband is a stay at home dad so she had no real experience with Day Care. She also has a life threatening latex allergy. She loved splash academy. We were given a phone as well as told the locations and times to sneak a peek at her without being seen. Splash academy is not a jail or prison, she can ask to leave and they call you or you can go pick her up. My daughter didn't want to miss the parades! And we got to see her having fun. They also worked very hard at keeping her safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a police officer, serving several years as an SRO in multiple schools, I have to say that I am very impressed with the security policies & procedures on NCL. I never hesitate to send my kids to their programs and am 100% confident that they are very safe.