Seattle Questions...arriving late!

RN7997

I will be cruising Alaska from Seattle on the 15th. My family arrives by flight into SEA on the 13th but not till 1130PM. I am trying to decide where to stay, how to rent a car, if I need a car etc. Is there a way to pick up a rental car at those hours? My husband has a work thing on the 14th and my son and I would like to explore seattle a bit.

Any suggestions for any of this?

Hotel?

Car?

Sites to see with a 15 year old boy?

Also returning car and getting to port?

Lastly after the cruise we have an 1130 flight! What is the best/quickest way to get from the port to the airport on that Saturday after we get off the ship?

THANK YOU!

I will be cruising Alaska from Seattle on the 15th. My family arrives by flight into SEA on the 13th but not till 1130PM. I am trying to decide where to stay, how to rent a car, if I need a car etc. Is there a way to pick up a rental car at those hours? My husband has a work thing on the 14th and my son and I would like to explore seattle a bit.

Any suggestions for any of this?

Hotel?

Car?

Sites to see with a 15 year old boy?

Also returning car and getting to port?

Lastly after the cruise we have an 1130 flight! What is the best/quickest way to get from the port to the airport on that Saturday after we get off the ship?

THANK YOU!

First, assuming you're coming from PA, remember that it will be 2:30 AM on your body clocks.

My recommendation, stay at an airport hotel - plenty of affordable ones, all with free shuttles. The next day you have a choice:

1. Stay in the airport hotel (much cheaper than downtown hotels,) get a car and explore the city (yes, you'll have to pay for parking, but you'll probably be net ahead compared to downtown hotels without parking.) Come back to the airport hotel that night, lose the car, then take a limo or van service to the cruise terminal the next day.

2. Same as (1) but no rental car; take the hotel's shuttle to the airport and ride the train ($3) to downtown, explore, then the reverse in the evening. Much cheaper obviously, also less flexibility.

3. Check out of the airport hotel, take a limo/cab/van to a downtown hotel ($$) and walk around town (or use buses, etc.) then on cruise day just cab or limo to the pier, badda bing.

Option 2 is the cheapest, also the most limiting. No. 1 vs. No. 3 are a crapshoot depending on your cost/hassle sensitivity.

On the way back, take a limo or cab straight to the airport from the pier. The airport on cruise days is a zoo, so you want to be there ASAP and should try to disembark as early as possible.

2. Same as (1) but no rental car; take the hotel's shuttle to the airport and ride the train ($3) to downtown, explore, then the reverse in the evening. Much cheaper obviously, also less flexibility.

Also worth mentioning: Some airport hotels, such as the Hilton, Clarion, Crowne Plaza, and Marriott, are just a short walk to the light rail station and would not require shuttling back to the airport to catch the train.

I'll offer a contrary opinion and suggest what we did: STILA town car (basically always available on call at the airport) to Homewood Suites in downtown. Get a good night's sleep, free breakfast, and you are easy walking distance to Seattle Center, which is full of things for a 15 y/o to see and do on your day in Seattle--and also a cheap monorail or cab ride to downtown attractions like Pike Place, and walking distance to the waterfront.

YMMV.