Oceanear's Lab on the Wonder

saleeb

Does anyone know if the Wonder's Oceanear Lab and Club are just as spacious and are comparable to those on the Fantasy and Dream? I ask because we are set to sail on the Wonder in October. We are sad to learn that there is no secret port hole for our inside stateroom. We also knew before booking that their is no Aqua Duck but now I want to make sure that the kids' clubs are as magical as they appear on the others. We have four kids who will be in those clubs. There are surprisingly few videos of the clubs for this boat, in particular (on youtube). One of my daughters has watched endless videos of the newer ships and I just hope that there won't be lots of things like missing from the kid's clubs. Either way we are thankful and blessed that we are going at all and we will have a great time. I just want to know what to expect so that I can prepare my kids on the plane ride. We are keeping it a surprise until we wake them up to drive to the airport. :) You have all already been instrumental in our decision making. Thank you.

Does anyone know if the Wonder's Oceanear Lab and Club are just as spacious and are comparable to those on the Fantasy and Dream? I ask because we are set to sail on the Wonder in October. We are sad to learn that there is no secret port hole for our inside stateroom. We also knew before booking that their is no Aqua Duck but now I want to make sure that the kids' clubs are as magical as they appear on the others. We have four kids who will be in those clubs. There are surprisingly few videos of the clubs for this boat, in particular (on youtube). One of my daughters has watched endless videos of the newer ships and I just hope that there won't be lots of things like missing from the kid's clubs. Either way we are thankful and blessed that we are going at all and we will have a great time. I just want to know what to expect so that I can prepare my kids on the plane ride. We are keeping it a surprise until we wake them up to drive to the airport. :) You have all already been instrumental in our decision making. Thank you.

How are you only finding all of this out so soon before your cruise?

They are smaller due to less kids on the smaller ships than the bigger ships that have more kids? They offer different activities and themes. A lot are specific to each ship.

With respect, how did you book your cruise? Via a TA or yourself?

ex techie

The Oceaneer's Lab/Club on the Wonder is not as big as on the Fantasy, but neither are there as many kids on the Wonder. Max passenger load on the Wonder is 2700, on the Fantasy it is 4000. Essentially nothing on the Wonder is as big as on the Fantasy. Another example--the dining rooms are not as big on the Wonder BUT they are far less noisy and less crowded.

However, not as big is not the same thing as "not as Magical." There are several different spaces, each with different things to do. In addition, kids signed into the Lab have access to the Club space except during open house hours and vice versa. You will have no issue with "not enough space." And on the special cruises, there is plenty for the kids to do. They really pull out all the stops.

Will all of your kids be in the Lab/Club? I may have misunderstood from some of your other posts.

Lab/Club --age 3- 12

Edge--age 11-14

Vibe--age 14-17.

Yes, there is built in overlap. For kids in the overlap ages, parent and kid can decide where they fit best or would rather be. Kids in the Club/Lab are there all the time. Kids in the "tween" and teen programs have activities all around the ship as well as in their special spaces.

You are right that there is no virtual porthole on either of the "classic" ships. The Wonder is the ship most in the original configuration, but even there are changes from the way she was built. It is the only ship running the original Animator's Palate show (and no one knows how much longer that will last). And honestly, we prefer to classic ships.

I can sit and play "It doesn't have....." Or I can list things that it does have that I like better......you've got a great cruise booked and I'm sure you and the kids will enjoy it.

One hint for inside rooms if you are concerned about no light to wake you. Turn the TV to the "View from the Bridge" channel and mute the sound. When the sun comes up, the TV screen will light up.

Edited by moki'smommy

Another hint--read the Navigator with the kids each night and use a marker to note the programs they want to attend so that you don't forget. Some families use a different color marker for each person. If you need more Navigators, you can get them from a rack next to Guest Services--no need to wait in line.

Another hint--start making a list now of things that you want to do on the first day after you board...

Get embarkation photo done and enter drawing for free print

go to internet cafe and sign up for free 50 mb internet package (once for each cabin, you may need different log on/password)

Get any tickets you need for free but ticketed events

do any dining changes you need

do "Art of the ThemeShip tour"

tour spa and enter drawing there

etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

I was in the middle of a reply and my computer died. :( Anyhow, Ex Techie, I was going to book with DCL directly, but when I learned of an on board credit thru a TA, I went with the TA. I did know that the Wonder is a smaller ship. That was no surprise, but I hadn't really looked at the boat at all because we hadn't planned on booking the Wonder or the Panama Canal cruise. You see, we had been hoping for quite a while to secure an MTO rate for a September sailing on the Fantasy. We had our eyes set on that and researched all about that ship and itinerary. However, when we learned that there was an MTO for the Wonder and the Panama Canal itinerary, and with encouraging words from Moki'smommy, we did a 180 and booked that cruise without much research. We figured, we will have a great time no matter what. It is a vacation, a long one at that, and it is a dream come true for my kids. We are going to have a fantastic time, no doubt.

My questions about the kid's clubs is due to the fact that my 9 year old has spent days watching videos about the ships and will let me know about all of the neat things like the magic portholes. Now honestly, a magic porthole is not going to make or break the cruise at all, but I want to be prepared to let my kids know that, "hey, just so you know, the kid's club will not have that cool thingamabob you saw on youtube." Just want to give them a heads up.

I do plan to surprise the kids but I figured that I can chat with them on the plane ride (once they know we are going on a Disney cruise), that we are going on the Wonder and it won't have the Aqua Duck or the magic portholes, etc. They will still be more than excited and I am so thankful that we can go. I'm counting down the minutes!

Moki'smommy, yes four out of five of my kids are going to utilize the kid's club, hopefully. I have a 3, 5, 7, 9, and 16 year old who will do his own thing or go to the teen club. Actually, two of my kids will have a bday prior to the sailing. Time flies.

Thanks again for the great tips! I will certainly look at the Navigator each night so that we can make the most of each day. I like the tip about the TV light too. Although, my kids are fairly early risers.

I am happy to hear about the Animator's Palette because my one daughter has talked endlessly about that show. Thanks to youtube, yet again. :)

I'm sure I will come up with other questions before the cruise. Thanks again.

I was in the middle of a reply and my computer died. :( Anyhow, Ex Techie, I was going to book with DCL directly, but when I learned of an on board credit thru a TA, I went with the TA. I did know that the Wonder is a smaller ship. That was no surprise, but I hadn't really looked at the boat at all because we hadn't planned on booking the Wonder or the Panama Canal cruise. You see, we had been hoping for quite a while to secure an MTO rate for a September sailing on the Fantasy. We had our eyes set on that and researched all about that ship and itinerary. However, when we learned that there was an MTO for the Wonder and the Panama Canal itinerary, and with encouraging words from Moki'smommy, we did a 180 and booked that cruise without much research. We figured, we will have a great time no matter what. It is a vacation, a long one at that, and it is a dream come true for my kids. We are going to have a fantastic time, no doubt.

My questions about the kid's clubs is due to the fact that my 9 year old has spent days watching videos about the ships and will let me know about all of the neat things like the magic portholes. Now honestly, a magic porthole is not going to make or break the cruise at all, but I want to be prepared to let my kids know that, "hey, just so you know, the kid's club will not have that cool thingamabob you saw on youtube." Just want to give them a heads up.

I do plan to surprise the kids but I figured that I can chat with them on the plane ride (once they know we are going on a Disney cruise), that we are going on the Wonder and it won't have the Aqua Duck or the magic portholes, etc. They will still be more than excited and I am so thankful that we can go. I'm counting down the minutes!

Moki'smommy, yes four out of five of my kids are going to utilize the kid's club, hopefully. I have a 3, 5, 7, 9, and 16 year old who will do his own thing or go to the teen club. Actually, two of my kids will have a bday prior to the sailing. Time flies.

Thanks again for the great tips! I will certainly look at the Navigator each night so that we can make the most of each day. I like the tip about the TV light too. Although, my kids are fairly early risers.

I am happy to hear about the Animator's Palette because my one daughter has talked endlessly about that show. Thanks to youtube, yet again. :)

I'm sure I will come up with other questions before the cruise. Thanks again.

Ah! Thanks for the explanation, its a lot clearer now! Sorry to hear about your computer, I hope you've got it back up and working again!

The Wonder is a great ship! And I'm sure you will have an amazing time on her!

I would definitely try to dissuade your 9 year old from watching videos of the Dream, Fantasy and Magic, and try to steer her towards videos that are specific to the Wonder.

If she has been watching Animators Palate videos from the Dream and Fantasy she has probably seen the Crush interaction videos. That is only on the Dream and Fantasy unfortunately. Also the animate your own character is only on the Fantasy and Magic I believe.

The original Animators show is still really cool, but it is a show that was conceived and installed when the ship was launched, and obviously technology has changed a lot since then, and as the Wonder hasn't been re-imagined like the Magic, it is different.

Here is a spoiler video if you haven't seen one and don't mind knowing!!

Just so you know, the Midship Detective Agency activity is only on the Dream And Fantasy.

I've been searching for over 30 minutes now trying to find a good video that shows any detail of the OC and OL on the Wonder and they are very hard to find aren't they!

This one is probably the best and up to date: (Skip to 18 mins)

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!

ex techie

I knew from some of your other posts that you had a high schooler. I just didn't realize that the others were clustered together at the younger age range. The Club/Lab set up will work great for your kids IF they like the programming at all. What you will see on the Navigator are the activities with "suggested" ages or "designed for" ages, but any kid in the programming can do any activity. They generally do not encourage kids out of the suggested range to participate unless the kid shows some initiative. Example--if "Do-si-do with Snow White" is listed as suggested for ages 3-5, the CMs will not point out to a 9 year old that this activity is starting and ask if he/she wants to participate, while they will sometimes make that suggestion to a 4 year old. On the other hand, if the 9 year old tells a CM that they want to do the activity, or shows up at the right location, they are welcome to join in.

The nice thing is that your kids will be able to be as together or apart as they choose while in the programming.

Another activity the younger ones may enjoy is the wake up/exercise with Disney Jr. characters each morning in the Promenade Lounge. This is a toddler/pre-schooler type activity and a parent must be with the child. It is sort of a dance party/exercise thing for the little ones. It is listed under "Family Activities" in the Navigator while the Club/Lab activities are listed under kid activities.

ex techie, thank you for the links. I just tried to watch one and my kiddos walked in, so I will check them out once they get to bed. Thanks for finding them for me!

mokismommy, my kids are going to love the wake up exercise with the characters! I had never heard of it before. Thanks for the tip. In another post you mentioned to start a list of things to do on embarkation day. You mention getting the embarkation photo done. How does this work? Do they take your picture automatically and you order it once you get situated? How much is a photo?

They offer to take your photo if you wish, or you can decline to. They scan your KTTW card and then they know who you are and which Stateroom you are in.

The price depends on whether you want just a single print from them or more, or if you want a digital copy on a CD. disneycruiselineblog.com has a load of information and prices. You buy them at Shutters.

They must offer them on a flash drive by now right moki'smommy?

Embarkation list: dining changes, registering the kids with the clubs to get the Mickey Bands if you didn't in the terminal, exploring the open house times of the Club, Lab, and tween and teen areas, signing up for mixology or beer or wine, or tequila tastings, adult only dining reservations you weren't able to get or changes, checking if there are any shore excursions that were previously sold out that they have any available spaces now, or asking to be put on a wait list, pick up tickets for private Character meet and greets at GS, LUNCH!, swim, and have fun is all I can think of!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

As you are walking toward the ship for boarding, the photographers will be set up to do family embarkation photos. There is NO cost to have photos taken, they cost $20 for an 8X10 to purchase. But the hint is that when you have the embarkation photo taken, you are given a coupon which you can deposit in a jar in Shutters. There is a drawing, and one stateroom will win a free photo. If you don't want to spend the time, you can bypass the photo line...but then you won't have 2 entries (one for each cabin) for that free photo drawing. You can order photos any time during your cruise...don't rush about it!

As Techie said, you give them your KTTW card when you have the photo taken; that is how they tie it to your cabin. They sell a CD of all the photos that you have done on the ship, and for just a little more include one print of all photos. BUT on a 14 night cruise, that package is about $500. Photos on board are NOT cheap. We buy few and carry our own cameras everywhere.

IF you have waiting time in the terminal, you can get in line to do your kid registration and get their bands then. Alternatively, you can wait till after boarding and do it any time up to the minute you first take the kids to the programming. Typically there is no line once you are on the ship. If you check in and are ready to board at that point, don't get in the wrist band line....just head toward the big doors for boarding.

Since you are a first timer on DCL, you can go on line and do check in at 75 days before cruising. You can also make any reservations you want--adult dining, excursions, etc. At least do the on line check in and select a PAT (port arrival time). This is when you will be expected to arrive at the terminal and your boarding card number is tied to this time. If you don't have flights yet. choose the earliest time available--there is no penalty to arriving after your time.

If you have spare time in the terminal, READ the Welcome Aboard Navigator in detail. THere are all sorts of little gems that you might otherwise miss.

OK, in fairness, the Wonder doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships, but she is a fine vessel and a classy lady. You'll have a great time. Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to do this cruise if the timing worked for us--but it doesn't.