Cpap question

Monstica

Hi, I contacted the special needs access desk about my sons celiac disease, they responded quickly with a form to fill out. On that form it lists quite a few special need requests. I saw a section for CPAC machines. My husband uses one and was planning on taking it with him. He is planning on packing it and carrying it on the ship with an extension cord. It never occurred to me to inform the cruise line about it. Has anyone used one while onboard the Breakaway? Can we use our own extension cord? He doesn't require distilled water. Thanks in advance for your help.

Before I realized the Special Needs department provided the water and extension cord, I used to bring my own cord and had no problem. Now I do go through the Special Needs department, but I also need the distilled water.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your cruise.

Funny story on Breakaway last year. I also informed them I had a cpap and needed distilled water and extension cord. Right when the muster drill was starting, 2 crew members knocked on the door to carry me to the drill. Apparently they mistook my cpap request to mean I was disabled. I danced around to show them I was fine on my own!

Hi, I contacted the special needs access desk about my sons celiac disease, they responded quickly with a form to fill out. On that form it lists quite a few special need requests. I saw a section for CPAC machines. My husband uses one and was planning on taking it with him. He is planning on packing it and carrying it on the ship with an extension cord. It never occurred to me to inform the cruise line about it. Has anyone used one while onboard the Breakaway? Can we use our own extension cord? He doesn't require distilled water. Thanks in advance for your help.

My husband needs distilled water for his so always contacts Special Needs dept.

In their confirmation email they say "Don't forget to bring extension cord".

So, yes, bring your own extension cord. I don't think the ship has enough of them.

this is one of the many reasons these boards are so valuable. We've been cruising for 31 years, but this is the first cruise my husband has a CPAP machine. I never even thought to call the cruiseline to let them know. I just called, they said if I had called 2 weeks in advance they would have supplied the distilled water. Thanks everyone! We're going on the Getaway this Saturday :)

Can you order distilled water through your cruise personaliser or do you need to call them on the phone to order it?

By cruise personalizer do you mean Personal Cruise Consultant? If so, Yes, your PCC can contact Special Needs for you and request Distilled Water. That is what we have done the past two cruises.

this is one of the many reasons these boards are so valuable. We've been cruising for 31 years, but this is the first cruise my husband has a CPAP machine. I never even thought to call the cruiseline to let them know. I just called, they said if I had called 2 weeks in advance they would have supplied the distilled water. Thanks everyone! We're going on the Getaway this Saturday :)

My suggestion would be to ask you room steward for the distilled water. They may still be able to provide it.

That being said, while distilled water is preferred for the humidifier on you husbands CPAP it is not a requirement. With distilled water you can go longer without having to clean the chamber. With tap water it would be recommended to clean it every morning. The tap water on most ships is actually not that bad.

How long of an extension cord do you typically bring?

Not positive but 8 to 10 feet. The width of the cabin since most outlets are across the room. Some people bring masking tape to hold cord down so no one trips over it but we just unplug it in the morning. I sleep nearest to bathroom so no worries about tripping.

When I called yesterday they said to bring an extension cord that is at least 4 ft. My husband bought one that is 8 ft. For this trip we are bringing bringing distilled water, but for our Escape cruise in November they are going to supply the distilled water

Interesting - I submitted my request for extension cord and water via email and followed up last week and they said they'd be waiting for me in our cabin. Also, last time on Breakaway they provided an extension cord. I remember it was huge, like 12 feet long and always in the way

Both my DW and I used CPAPs on our Panama Canal Cruise last fall. All it took to request the distilled water was an email to accessdesk@ncl.com requesting it. Make sure you include your reservation number, ship name, date and port of embarkation, and cabin number. Within a couple days, I received the following:

[mailto:accessdesk@ncl.com]

Subject: RE: Request for Distilled Water for CPAP

Thank you for contacting the Access Desk. The information provided has been noted.

Please be advised that ship has been advised to provide you both with distilled water for the machines for the duration of the cruise. Please contact the Access Officer on board if there any problems or you require additional water. The Access Officer can be reached through the Front Desk.

We also recommend that you bring an extension cord at least 6ft. long, as the outlet may not be close enough to the bed and the ship only has a very small supply and cannot provide one.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Freestyle Cruising®

ncl.com

Note the recommendation regarding an extension cord.

We also found it convenient to have an electrical triplex outlet to increase the number of outlets needed to keep the camera, phones, and tablets charged.

00697-707_4.jpg

We have always traveled with my husbands CPAP. I actually bring 2 cords, One is a straight normal 6-8 ft cord and then I actually get a split one, its like a Y and goes in two directions. The main one goes from outlet to under the bed, then the Y-splits under the bed so we both get a plug on either side. Works really well.

We always take duct tape to tape down the cord so there are no accidental tumbles in the dark of night..........

Be VERY careful using duct tape. It can EASILY damage the surface you apply it to when you remove it. I am not saying that this WILL happen but it is more likely with duct tape than most any other tape. For a semi-permanent application the best tape to use is gaff tape. This is the tape that musicians use to tape down cords etc while on stage. Blue painter's tape is also good for semi-permanent use.