Carnival babysitting - under 2 - in port

airboss

We were looking at in port babysitting for an infant under 1.

Carnival allows it for a few hours.

What is the ratio of kids/babysitters?

I'm sure it varies per sailing.

What were your personal experiences with Carnival?

(We would be on a Carnival run excursion)

They only watch under-2's for 4 hours on port days, so your excursion would have to be less than that. I think it was $6.75 per hour but that was back in 2012. I used their babysitting a few times for my under-2 y/o and had no issues whatsoever. They will change diapers and give bottles.

I may be the odd woman out here, but I would never trust strangers with my child, ever. Paranoid much, yes I am, but we live in a world that justifies it. Once my DS is old enough to understand wrong and say NO loudly and walk away or defend himself then maybe I would consider leaving him.

I may be the odd woman out here, but I would never trust strangers with my child, ever. Paranoid much, yes I am, but we live in a world that justifies it. Once my DS is old enough to understand wrong and say NO loudly and walk away or defend himself then maybe I would consider leaving him.

What age are you thinking? 28 or so?

Just because YOU would not do it does not mean there is anything wrong with another person talking advantage of a service offered.

I was wondering when the I would never leave my child people were going to hop on this although you do offer a new angle.

As far as I know, there has never been a complaint about abuse from the counselors. Even that sleazy lawyer does not have any stories pertaining to it on his site and if there had been even the tiniest hint of one, it would be there.

AprilJ I respect your thoughts.

To each their own.

What do you think you do when you send your child to school? Or leave with a babysitter at home? Or daycare while the parent works.

The first day is always with strangers. You just trust them because society says they are in a safe place.

One again I appreciate your POV.

Edited by airboss

I don't think you are alone. I kind of agree with you. I actually don't understand what the point is of taking kids (of any age) on vacations like this if you are just going to leave them with babysitters. They would be better off at home with their grandparents.

AprilJ I respect your thoughts.

To each their own.

What do you think you do when you send your child to school? Or leave with a babysitter at home? Or daycare while the parent works.

The first day is always with strangers. You just trust them because society says they are in a safe place.

One again I appreciate your POV.

I think her point is that she wouldn't leave a child that's too young to be able to verbally communicate with a stranger. By the time kids are in school they can articulate to their parents if any wrongdoing occurred when their parents weren't around.

You assume people have parents who are willing to watch their grandkids. Or people even have parents. What about people whose parents are deceased? Are they not able to go out of town because they aren't supposed to leave their kids with babysitters??

Both my parents died way too young and early and I wish they were still here but they aren't

I think this posting has gotten too emotional and judgmental.

Everyone has their own set of circumstances.

Let's all try to stick to the original questions.

I am sorry I can not assist you with your questions. I can share that my 3 year old (granddaughter) loved the Carnival Camp. Children do not want to return to a place that they did not feel secure.

I do agree with you thought that the child to caregiver ratio would vary by sailing. That is likely something you would have to be comfortable with the day of the event unless they can assure you prior of the ratio.

Enjoy your cruise. DG was under two on her first cruise. She doesn't remember much but we do.

They only watch under-2's for 4 hours on port days, so your excursion would have to be less than that. I think it was $6.75 per hour but that was back in 2012. I used their babysitting a few times for my under-2 y/o and had no issues whatsoever. They will change diapers and give bottles.

I hope so!!! Lol...

The question was about babysitting for less than 4 hours, not whether you would or would not do it. :mad:

The reason I mention the changing diapers is some cruise lines will not do this and will call you to come do it. To the OP, I used the babysitting when my child was 9 months and 15 months and never had an issue. The counsellors doted on my child and I felt very comfortable leaving him for a few hours here and there. Even now at almost 5, my child loves going to the kids club on cruises - he is very social and makes friends easily though.

I left both of my girls on the ship with Camp Carnival while my husband & I did some sightseeing/tours that I knew the girls were too young to do or appreciate. It started when they were 6 months old and 3 years old and they are now 21 and 25 and almost Diamond.

The girls were happy, well cared for and fed. I was completely fine, never worried and it helped us all have a great vacation.. Leaving them at home was something that I never thought about... they are my life, my family, my memories.

Yes, there are some tours/excursions that kids cannot do, thus the reason for leaving them on the ship on some of the Islands.. But to leave them home, NEVER.... I think it's absolutely ok to leave them in the very capable hands of the Camp Carnival Staff for 4 hours out of a 7 day cruise... Sometimes I think Camp Carnival Staff does a better job with our kids than we do!!!

DO IT... I can bet both the child and the adults will have a great time/day ...

Ratio is usually 8-10 kids to 1 staff member. They will turn people away if too many kids show up in a certain age range.

We've never left our kids during port times, but my 13 month old loved night owls and we thought it was a well-run program. He had been in daycare before though, so he had no problem with us leaving. If you are on a Carnival excursion, I see nothing wrong with leaving your little one at camp. Carnival run excursions will not leave you behind, and they carry a phone to get in touch with you if something comes up, unlike private tours.

We only used night owls when ours was 10 months old. Loved it, and felt he was well taken care of. They set out a crib, bottle fed him and if he wasn't asleep, one of the camp counselors was playing with him or holding him constantly.

Edited by Angela61280