Snuba

ArizonaTracie

My family of four did this in Cozumel. If you don't SCUBA, it is next best thing...and what made us get our SCUBA cert afterwards. You breathe through a regulator, and can go down about 20 feet--a whole different experience close-up than snorkeling. We thought it was worth it, but just wasn't long enough--could have done this all day instead of the 30 minutes or so you pay for...

I agree w/ crb04. Snuba is one of the most fun things ever. I got to take great pictures of a reef shark swimming around the bottom! I am getting ready to do it again in Kauai in a few weeks and my DH will get to go this time too. I was a little apprehensive, but the instructor stays w/ the group the whole time, so my fears were alleviated, but I did keep a death grip on the regulator in my mouth! My jaw was tired when I was done!

My brother is interested in this for Hawaii. Any comments? Is it worthwhile?
It is without a doubt much better than just snorkeling. My wife and kids did it in Kona. My DD loved it, DW liked it, and DS didn't have fun because he got cold. He wouldn't wear his wetsuit, DD wore her's. The warmest the water gets in Hawaii is 78-79f in August-September. It will be in the low 70's in late winter.

more info can be found at http://www.snuba.com

It is better than snorkeling. But definitely not as good as scuba. If ready to try snuba, might as well try intro scuba unless there is some medical issue.
I agree, but if there is a medical reason not to try scuba, that should also apply to snuba as well, even if the operator doesn't require a medical form.

On a recent cruise our friends were considering snuba, until we heard an experience from a tablemate. While they were down there they ran out of air. Friends said,"FORGET IT!"
That is unfortunate. That operator was negligent.

Archived