Need to Get a Problem Resolved

pete_coach

I understand that but when I know it's an honest mistake, I wouldn't take advantage of it and wouldn't ask them to honor it. You know, it's just a philosophy of life. What we are in our daily lives always comes back to us one way or another.

Understood. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. From what the OP has said, he booked in good faith and wasn't aware of any mistakes or discrepancies until after the booking was completed and the bill was presented. Furthermore, Celebrity is continuing to run print advertisements with the same wording. Why should he think that is a mistake?

Hi, and sorry if this is not the proper venue.

I have an issue with Celebrity billing. I booked an all inclusive vacation package that, on the newspaper advertisement (in the fine print on the bottom of the page) stated "inclusive of taxes, fees and port charges". When I received my booking confirmation I was charged $630 for taxes, fees and port charges. I called the agents and they were apologetic and agreed that it should not be there but could not do anything about it but they would give me a $100 on board credit. At the time, even their website stated "inclusive of taxes fees and port charges".

Surprisingly, the website went down for that package the following week and the statement was removed. The newspaper ad that made us book was on 20 June 2015. The advertisement was still the same on 25 July as well as just this past weekend.

I have been sent up the ladder at the office and no one will do anything about it.

The issue I have is that I am at a dead end. The last person I spoke with said they will not bring it up higher and will not provide me with a contact higher up in the organization to plead my case.

Do any of you faithful Celebrity cruisers know of whom I can contact?

I just cannot believe New Zealand law would hold a seller responsible to sell a service or product at an erroneous price.

So, I looked and here's what I found:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/9646054/Paying-for-someone-elses-mistake

The "bottom line" in New Zealand is that shoppers cannot force retailers to sell them goods at prices that have been set accidentally low, Edwards says.

"When a customer sees a price sticker on a good or a shelf price, it is reasonable for them to expect that that is the price they will be charged at the checkout."

But, crucially, the sticker or advert does not create a "contract" between the buyer and seller, Edwards says.

"If it is an honest mistake a retailer doesn't have to honour it, though it is good customer practice if they do."

Commerce Commission consumer manager Stuart Wallace says that is generally the law around the world, and for good reason.

No-one would want an otherwise responsible company to go out of business just because one careless worker had put the decimal place in the wrong place in an advert.

People make mistakes, and the lawmakers understand that. As a result if/when honest mistakes are made there is no legal obligation to honor the pricing error.

Thanks all for your support.

I got a call from Celebrity and explained my points and once again, they agreed with me but, as some of you had said, their disclaimer became the key point in their defence. I agree they have a disclaimer but, the fact they were made aware and did not make any changes in over a month after becoming aware gave me some points too.

Anyway, the person I spoke with today had some points and so did I and we came to an amicable solution and agreement. The person was fair, and very customer orientated...on my side actually, and I was grateful for that. I received a generous on board credit and she will ensure that the advertisement is changed before it is run again.

In no way am I saying anything bad about anyone I spoke with, they were all very good and tried their best but, like any bureaucracy, they have limitations. The person I spoke with today had a higher level of authority and we closed my issue.

I really like Celebrity and would have booked with them again regardless but the effort they put into my issue makes me very happy to do business with them.

I am so happy to hear that Celebrity reached out to you here and was able to resolve the issue :D

I am OK with what they gave and I only persisted because I was trying to make a point. Anyway, it turned out good for everyone. I was even able to secure an on board credit for my friends. I booked 2 cabins at the same time on my credit card so the booking was actually for 2.

KikisDad, I quoted you because I saw you had 44 cruses and 353 days at sea. I know Canadian Military guys that have never spent that many days at sea ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to continue the saga....in my local newspaper today, Celebrity once again had it's advertisement for the "all inclusive" packages from Eastern Canada.

Regardless what the lady from Celebrity said, nothing has changed. The advertisement states taxes and fees*. The * indicates there is something in he fine print. The fine print states "and is inclusive of all taxes, fees and port charges".

Celebrity said they will make changes in the advertisement and they did , up top but left the critical information the same. I guess all I can say is that if there are Canadians that have booked this package, make your concerns known, perhaps you too will get an on-board credit.