Can you still use Carnival's waterpark area in winter?

hpugirl27

We are thinking of cruising to the Bahamas in January on the Sunshine. A big reason for choosing this ship is the water park area on it for my son. Do people still use the waterslides, etc in the winter or is it too cold? I doubt they heat it?

The weather in the Bahamas is quite variable that time of year. It can be too cool, in the mid to low 60's, for the slides or it could be just fine, just like Florida.

The Caribbean destinations south of Florida have more consistent warm weather

I think it depends on where you're from and what you're used to regarding cold. We've cruised several times in cold weather and we wouldn't dream of getting in the water. BUT, we see plenty of people from cold climates who think it's just fine and they're laying out and in the water as soon as the get on board.

Thanks everyone. Looks like it may just depend then. I'm originally from upstate NY, so I know about the cold weather people thinking it may be warm, but we've lived in the south now for many years. Thanks for your input!

I wouldn't worry about it. It rained almost my entire first cruise and I still had a great time. There are SO many other things to do :D

I think it depends on where you're from and what you're used to regarding cold....

True. Live in SFLA and originally from NY many years ago. We are spoiled down here. I don't go in the water unless it is north of 80 or 82. But that doesn't stop me from going to the beach 12 mos out of the year [emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji106][emoji106]

- JPO

I think it depends on where you're from and what you're used to regarding cold. We've cruised several times in cold weather and we wouldn't dream of getting in the water. BUT, we see plenty of people from cold climates who think it's just fine and they're laying out and in the water as soon as the get on board.

This is so true...here in So Cal I go to the beach in the winter in sweats and a hooded coat...I see tourists swimming and/or surfing without wet suits...like it's mid summer. LOL! Different strokes for different folks.;)

I would think that unless it was really cold you should be able to use the water park cruising in the area near FL and the Bahamas. But that's just what I think as I don't honestly really know.:o

Whatever, I hope you and your family have an awesome cruise!

Edited by mousey

We've only done the Bahamas once in the December/January time frame and it was COLD. Nassau was the "warmest" and it didn't even hit 70 degrees. Waterworks was closed the entire time. Beautiful clear skies during the entire cruise, just a bit chilly.

On a separate note, you can always tell who the "northerners" are. It may be barely 60 degrees and they are the ones out by the pool suntanning. It always cracks me up on a semi-chilly embarkation day to see a handful of people, fresh off the airplane, that can't wait to get some sun and are walking around wearing long pants/jeans but shirtless, while the locals are all bundled up and shivering. [emoji6]

Edited by Tapi

Bahamas temp is pretty much the same as Miami so in January it can be warm/hot but the last 2 years it's been 60's which is pretty cold so you said your thinking of cruising to Bahamas I would suggest cruising somewhere father south St Thomas is a great winter port always 80 to 90 there. .

On a separate note, you can always tell who the "northerners" are. It may be barely 60 degrees and they are the ones out by the pool suntanning. It always cracks me up on a semi-chilly embarkation day to see a handful of people, fresh off the airplane, that can't wait to get some sun and are walking around wearing long pants/jeans but shirtless, while the locals are all bundled up and shivering. [emoji6]

Very true

If you're from the north, you'll have no problems getting into the water. I've seen a lot of folks in the water during that time of year.

We are floridians, and freeze once it hits 70 lol. In fact, I won't go swimming at the beach until it's in the upper 90s. Lol. Once it hits in the low 70s/high 60s, we break out winter clothes lol.

Edited by Angela61280

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and experiences!

I would love to travel further south, but those cruises are usually 7 days, and we are taking my son for his first cruise. He's 5, I don't want him to be sick or hate it or something and be "stuck" on the ship. So we were looking for a bit shorter cruise, and have to fit it in with his school break.

You're right, kids don't seem to notice the cooler water! We live in SC now in a beach city, but he's never been on a water slide which he is excited to try! Thanks again everyone!