bringing wine

sunsetme

Went on the Breakaway last year and brought 3 bottles. Didn't know we had to check in anywhere and no one flagged the bottles. We took them to the restaurant for dinner every night on the cruise and the last night a server asked if we paid for the bottle , we said no and were charged for that one bottle.

A couple times when I just had one bottle in my carry on they didn't flag me. But last couple cruises I've brought 6 bottles in a separate bag and of course I pay corkage.

I mention this because if you're only bringing 2 bottles and you have 2 carry on bags . . . . . .

You will then only owe $30 and can pay it as soon as you go through security. I'm sure no one is trying to get you to sneak it on over $30.

You will then only owe $30 and can pay it as soon as you go through security. I'm sure no one is trying to get you to sneak it on over $30.

I certainly never tried to sneak it on. Even with the UBP I'll pay the corkage on a few bottles to have in my room. I was just relaying my experience.

Edited by Gregor4500

Rules are rules; however,

It depends on the port/security/ship.

After embarkation, at most ports, security takes everything in a bottle.

Once, in the Bahamas, security tried to take a small bottle of Vanilla extract 'cause it had alcohol in it,

until a supervisor stepped in to say how stupid that would be.

The reason they confiscate your booze is for your own safety.:rolleyes:

Last year on Western Med.cruise,

when we were getting back on the NCL Jade in Barcelona, there were shops right in the port.

A wine store was having a two-for-one sale.

The sales clerk, that sold us two bottles of wine, told us there is no alcohol check and no corkage fee when you get back on the ship AT THIS PORT.

Sure enough, no ship alcohol/security check at all.

We went back out and purchased two more bottles.:D

Sooo... see what happens and good luck.:)

The rules are that you MAY bring wine back onto the ship in port.

Just declare it and pay the corkage fee.

Don't rely on that in Barcelona though. They usually tell people there is no alcohol check as you get on the ship.....even when there is.

That is what happened to me on The Epic in May. I was planning on buying 6 bottles of wine on board but there was a liquor store right before you actually got on the ship. We had already gone through the port security so I thought how great they won't find my 2 wine bottles. And the lady in the store told me don't worry there is no security check so I bought the wine as did my friend. Well wouldn't you know it there was another security check and they found my 2 bottles of wine. And right next to the x-ray machine was a guy who asked for your cabin number and then he wrote down the corkage fee which is $15 per bottle. I decided not to buy the additional bottles since I had two bottles of wine and this was a very port intensive cruise.

I was planning on buying 6 bottles of wine on board but there was a liquor store right before you actually got on the ship. ... And the lady in the store told me don't worry there is no security check so I bought the wine as did my friend. Well wouldn't you know it there was another security check and they found my 2 bottles of wine. ... I decided not to buy the additional bottles since I had two bottles of wine and this was a very port intensive cruise.

So essentially you got goofed by a third party sales person saying anything to make a sale and because of that you decided not to drink as much as you had originally planned. Rrrright.

So essentially you got goofed by a third party sales person saying anything to make a sale and because of that you decided not to drink as much as you had originally planned. Rrrright.

Yep!! That is exactly what happened. So really NCL lost out as I did buy other drinks but didn't pay for their expensive wine package.

I just wanted people to know that the saleslady was wrong and that there is another security check when you get on the ship.

They ask for the cabin number and charge the corkage fee to onboard account. Never have I seen/heard that they'd process any kind of actual payments there.

The area where the wine is checked in Miami, was directly across from the Suite check-in. The last time I check in aboard the Epic (February 2015) I had to go to the wine desk first, however suite check-in was backed up and the staff member wanted my CC first, so I gave her the card I would be using aboard ship, and signed the same receipt you get on the ship. I guess I need to clarify my earlier reply for some readers.;)

The area where the wine is checked in Miami, was directly across from the Suite check-in. The last time I check in aboard the Epic (February 2015) I had to go to the wine desk first, however suite check-in was backed up and the staff member wanted my CC first, so I gave her the card I would be using aboard ship, and signed the same receipt you get on the ship.

So they had a POS or the check-in laptop case set up there and swiped your credit card? Was it charged to the card separately or did they just set up your account at that time?

I've never seen that, even in Miami - suite or not. But then again, haven't sailed from Miami with NCL since last year.

So they had a POS or the check-in laptop case set up there and swiped your credit card? Was it charged to the card separately or did they just set up your account at that time?

I've never seen that, even in Miami - suite or not. But then again, haven't sailed from Miami with NCL since last year.

Well, next time you're in Miami, watch the process for yourself. If you haven't been checked in, and your card hasn't be swiped yet, just like in a restaurant, they take your card and swipe it at a computer terminal, they certainly don't take cash. :rolleyes:

Well, next time you're in Miami, watch the process for yourself. If you haven't been checked in, and your card hasn't be swiped yet, just like in a restaurant, they take your card and swipe it at a computer terminal, they certainly don't take cash. :rolleyes:

That is why I asked "Was it charged to the card separately or did they just set up your account at that time?" -- so that I wouldn't have to wait until next January to find out how it goes.

Edited by Demonyte