Ellis Tours to El Yunque Rain Forest

TRAVELCRUZIN

Just got a message from Ellis regarding our tour booked Feb 2016. Apparently he is changing his tour and not going to El Mina Falls in the rain forest because it is over run with tourists.

So if you are booking a tour you might want to check out where he is going. He offered us a different tour and I'm very excited about it!

Which day in Feb. 2016 are you visiting? It's funny this guy (who as far as I know has a good reputation) is still advertising these changes even so far off. Yes.. El Yunque gets overcrowded on certain days....on certain periods. Summer months especially since locals flock to the rain forest. Depending on what day of the week and the amount of ships in port that day, overcrowding shouldn't be that much. Another possible explanation is he's not allowed to take tourists anymore into the rain forest. Reason: Tour operators need a special permit to gain access into the US National Parks controlled parts of the forest. No permit, no way to get to La Mina falls(one of the main and most famous attractions). The areas he advertises as taking people now are (as far as I know) just outside the US Parks controlled lands. Still El Yunque but not the parts everyone comes to see. Plus, Its on the other side (east-southeast) of the mountain which is a longer drive than to La Mina area.

I did think that it was odd that he would be worrying about crowding so far in advance. But everything I read this guy is a great guide! I do like the new place he is suggesting and the hike seems much easier (based on youtube video) than La Mina Falls.

We were originally booked for Feb 20th but I was trying to get cheaper flights so instead we will be going on February 28th when the ship gets back to port.

Have you been before on this tour?

Which day in Feb. 2016 are you visiting? It's funny this guy (who as far as I know has a good reputation) is still advertising these changes even so far off. Yes.. El Yunque gets overcrowded on certain days....on certain periods. Summer months especially since locals flock to the rain forest. Depending on what day of the week and the amount of ships in port that day, overcrowding shouldn't be that much. Another possible explanation is he's not allowed to take tourists anymore into the rain forest. Reason: Tour operators need a special permit to gain access into the US National Parks controlled parts of the forest. No permit, no way to get to La Mina falls(one of the main and most famous attractions). The areas he advertises as taking people now are (as far as I know) just outside the US Parks controlled lands. Still El Yunque but not the parts everyone comes to see. Plus, Its on the other side (east-southeast) of the mountain which is a longer drive than to La Mina area.

I'm curious myself to see where he takes us. I asked him if I still would be able to do the things I was interested in such as swimming and seeing a waterfall and he replied yes. As I stated in the other related thread I prefer avoiding crowds. I've visited beaches where there is absolutely no one and you have it all to yourself, priceless. I just hope the spots he takes us to don't fall short on expectations.

Anyway, I'll find out soon enough in less than 3 weeks. I'll post back with my findings when I return.

BTW, stinger, I love that USS Enterprise banner.

• 2 months later...
I'm curious myself to see where he takes us. I asked him if I still would be able to do the things I was interested in such as swimming and seeing a waterfall and he replied yes. As I stated in the other related thread I prefer avoiding crowds. I've visited beaches where there is absolutely no one and you have it all to yourself, priceless. I just hope the spots he takes us to don't fall short on expectations.

Anyway, I'll find out soon enough in less than 3 weeks. I'll post back with my findings when I return.

BTW, stinger, I love that USS Enterprise banner.

Have you done the tour with him already? How did you like it?

Have you done the tour with him already? How did you like it?

We loved it. He took to us to a beautiful location for swimming in the river in El Yunque. We were the first ones there and only a few other folks came by shortly after. It had a large deep pool, ropes to swing into the water and a waterfall. My understanding is that La Mina (the spot that the other tours will take you too) is incredibly crowded and therefore unpleasant.

I would definitely recommend Ellis. It's your own private tour and you go where you want.

El%20yunque.jpg

Charco%20Frio%20River.jpg

I too looked into using Ellis when i was going to the rain forest after his reviews. I accidentally asked another tour operator if Ellis was their guide and i was told that he should not be touring in the rain forest because he does not have permits to go in.

Didn't know it was that hard for people to bring you to a forest.....

• 5 months later...
We loved it. He took to us to a beautiful location for swimming in the river in El Yunque. We were the first ones there and only a few other folks came by shortly after. It had a large deep pool, ropes to swing into the water and a waterfall. My understanding is that La Mina (the spot that the other tours will take you too) is incredibly crowded and therefore unpleasant.

I would definitely recommend Ellis. It's your own private tour and you go where you want.

El%20yunque.jpg

Charco%20Frio%20River.jpg

this looks perfect! please share your booking info, in box me if you'd like

fleisherellis@aol.com

His name is Ellis. Tell him you want to visit Charco Frio and Las Tinajas if you want to go swimming there. He can take you somewhere else as well if you'd like.

super..that is exactly what we want! i found him on FB and he was quick to respond :) on a side note, whats the availability of alcoholic beverages?

super..that is exactly what we want! i found him on FB and he was quick to respond :) on a side note, whats the availability of alcoholic beverages?

He doesn't normally carry anything besides water and a few snacks but your free to bring your own.

Tell him Orlando sent you. I'm the guy who made the video Caribbean Blue thats posted on his facebook page:

Edited by El Pistoffo

He doesn't normally carry anything besides water and a few snacks but your free to bring your own.

Tell him Orlando sent you. I'm the guy who made the video Caribbean Blue thats posted on his facebook page:

will do...he's been great! trying to get some of the other roll call peeps to join us but someone highjacked my post talking about the rock wall beach place SMH

Ellis is great. We have used him twice and had a great time.

thanks for the post...after reading a little more i'm nervous about the rain/mud conditions. will he cancel or change the tour if the conditions warrant it?

thanks for the post...after reading a little more i'm nervous about the rain/mud conditions. will he cancel or change the tour if the conditions warrant it?

He will change the tour if the conditions are unsafe. You will have a great time no matter what.