Hotels, Istanbul and Venice

Bruin Steve

RE: Bruin Steve: ...I agree about the hotels and have read several people's postings that they did better on their own.

Well, now that I've pretty much decided to take a deviation and find hotels on my own (although I'm still waiting to hear on the cost of the deviation), rather than pay the $1000 to $14000 for a night in Venice and the $500 a night in Istanbul, I've gone ahead and made a couple of quick reservations...mostly to put place markers down...but I'll keep them if I don't find something better between now and July...Both reservations are cancelable on one to three days' notice...

For Istanbul, I've got a 2-night reservation at the Conrad Istanbul (part of the Hilton family)...It's supposed to be a 5-star hotel and is ranked #51 out of 295 Istanbul hotels on TripAdvisor.com...but there have also been a few negative customer reviews on that site...Never sure with those poster reviews whether they're accurate or just some people with an axe to grind...But, one would hope that a large, well respected hotel chain would get its act together...The cost is only $112.50 per night...with tax, $265.50 for two nights...

For Venice, I made a reservation at the Hotel Anastasia, a 17-room boutique 3-star, right off the Piazza San Marco...#112 of 326 on TripAdvisor.com for 130 Euro per night, including taxes...or about $315 US at today's exchange rates...

So, for about $580, I've got my 4 nights of hotels...and I figure, even with getting my own ground transportation, I'm over $2000 ahead of where I'd be letting Oceania arrange my hotels...

Of course, I'm still up for any suggestions as to alternatives to my hotel choices...or comments on what I've reserved. Thanks...

We stayed at the Conrad for 3 nights, at the beginning of our Insignia cruise last April. We were quite happy with it. They have a fabulous buffet breakfast, but it is VERY expensive on its own (I don't think the rate you got includes this breakfast). You might want to check on the price differential, as they also have a rate that includes breakfast. I booked the room on my own, and if I recall, the rate was around $135/night with a beautiful view of the Bosporous.

Mike

I have no idea where this hotel is, but just make sure that you can arrive by Water Taxi direct to the hotel.......otherwise you could find yourself dragging all your suitcases from Boat to Hotel. Could be a long walk in the heat. Please remember that there are no taxis in Venice other than the water taxi.

Brian

They have a fabulous buffet breakfast, but it is VERY expensive on its own (I don't think the rate you got includes this breakfast). You might want to check on the price differential, as they also have a rate that includes breakfast.

Mike,

The lowest rate that includes breakfast is 145 per night...

With the added 18% room tax (since it's added to the room rate), that's a difference of $76.70 for the two breakfasts...

What do you think?

I can heartily recommend a hotel in Istanbul: Yesil Ev

It's a former Sultan's house locasted literally within walking distance of every major site including Topkapi, the Blue mosque and the Grand Bazaar to name a few. The cost about 4 years ago was $150 per night, including breakfast. Just the location is worth your while plus it's quite nice as well. And here is restaurant recommendation: Hanedan

The restaurant has 2 floors, ground level is meat, upstairs is fish. Exceptionally good food, remarkable appetizers offered to your table in small tapas type presentation.It's located a bit north, say a mile of the Ciragon Palace Hotel at a regular ferry stop. That stop's name begins with a B, maybe it's Betisoy or close to that. Your hotel should be able to reserve for you or the internet will do the trick I guess.

We stayed at the Conrad for 3 nights, at the beginning of our Insignia cruise last April. We were quite happy with it. They have a fabulous buffet breakfast, but it is VERY expensive on its own (I don't think the rate you got includes this breakfast). You might want to check on the price differential, as they also have a rate that includes breakfast. I booked the room on my own, and if I recall, the rate was around $135/night with a beautiful view of the Bosporous.

Mike

Mike -

How convenient is the Conrad to downtown and the pier? (And where did you dock? At the ferry piers north of the Galata Bridge, near the Dolmabahce Palace?) Looking at a map, the Conrad appears to be north of the Golden Horn/Old Istanbul, across the Galata Bridge. Is it walkable to downtown, or should we expect to use cab to get to and from the hotel? Any advice on getting around Istanbul on our own?

Richard

We, too, are going to try the Conrad on our Istanbul-Athens cruise next September. I also read the reviews on Trip Advisor and am wondering if I should book somewhere else instead. I'll be anxious to get your feedback when you return. We stayed at the Locanda Orseola in Venice a few weeks ago. It's rated #1 on Trip Advisor for B&B's. The owners were wonderful and very accomodating. It was very cute and very clean, but I think I prefer a hotel to a B&B. We paid 240 Euros, which is a bargain by Venice standards. They have a water window which was helpful when we had to leave Venice for our flight (3:45 a.m. for a 6:00 flight home). Venice isn't easy--especially with luggage!

Archived