Food allergy question

Cant_Wait1996

Hi all! My family will be on the sunshine next June and my daughter is allergic to cashews(she's got an epi pen). Does anyone know if cashew are commonly used in the food on board? It's not as common as a peanut allergy I know but she reacts just as bad. I've already looked at the carnival site and it just mentions telling our dining crew when we get onboard but I think that's just for the main dining room. She's 16 and won't be with us every second so I'd like to be able to tell her what to steer clear of. Thanks!

I developed a food allergy to sunflower seeds and almonds in my early 50s (55 now).

Inform the maître d on the first day. Each night your waiter will provide the next days menu to enable her to select her choices. They will prepare her dish specifically without the offending nut or seed. This is fun because everyone will want to look at " tomorrows" menu!

Your on your own at the buffet.

As you may already know, Indian food uses cashews in the sauces sometimes.

Edited by Richjoxyz

Send an e-mail to special needs. They will advise you how to handle it. Also, talk the Maitre D in the MDR and with those who can assist you in the buffet. Don't just wing it.

Thanks that's great advice! She's older and pretty good about making sure her foods ok not to mention she's pretty picky. I'm pretty sure she will only be eating tacos and pasta the whole time lol

I developed a food allergy to sunflower seeds and almonds in my early 50s (55 now).

Inform the maître d on the first day. Each night your waiter will provide the next days menu to enable her to select her choices. They will prepare her dish specifically without the offending nut or seed. This is fun because everyone will want to look at " tomorrows" menu!

Your on your own at the buffet.

Thanks we will do this for sure! Food allergies are so scary!

DD is allergic to peanuts and treenuts.

At boarding we go to the MDR and she orders her first night's meal. That night either the hostess or your waiter will take the next day's meal orders.

Each time your seated in the MDR a slip with her order is given to the waitstaff.

Only two issues with this-- Carnival classifies seeds as nuts, so DD doesn't get any seeded rolls in her bread basket. Last cruise her food came out quicker than mine.

The buffet has generic 'nuts' signs.

At the buffet talk with a hostess or The Lido Chef, not the line chefs. The line chefs mean well but aren't as trained as the others.

FWIW I cannot remember seeing cashews on the buffet. Usually walnuts, almonds and peanuts are used.

Edited by SadieN

Yes, they are frightening.

The first thing I do after I board is go see the maître d when they open. I explain my allergies and they take it very seriously and it works very well for the dining room.

The waiter will confirm who has the allergies when he first meets you. This is how you will know the info got passed on to him. If he doesn't confirm, bring it up and make sure he knows.

The buffet is more difficult. I have asked buffet servers if something has this or that and they will answer, sometimes incorrectly. The only way to know for sure is to talk to the Head Chef for the buffet. The food changes each day so finding him each day is difficult.

I have learned what is safe, and what might have the offending nut or seed, so I just wing it in the buffet, but I avoid anything that might have a possibility of affecting me.

For example, many pasties use almond flower, so now I just avoid them altogether. I know I can eat soft serve, so that is my go too desert. and melting cake every night in the dining room. They haven't killed me yet!