Celebrity Future Cruise Certificate used on Royal?

JFontaine

On a Celebrity cruise I was given a Future Cruise Certificate because of several mistakes that Celebrity made. I would like to use it on a Royal Caribbean cruise, although the certificate states it can only be used for a Celebrity cruise.

Anyone have experience using a Future Cruise Certificate from one line on another? I will call and ask, but before I plunge into the customer service world, I was wondering if there was any experience on this.

(And paying it forward, I had another FCC two years ago, and just before it was to expire, I called Celebrity and they gave me a 6 month extension to use it, which I did.)

Thanks

If the certificate specifically states that it's for a Celebrity cruise only, then that should be the answer to your question. While the two lines have some reciprocal benefits, they are two separate companies. We did get one of those certificates after a cruise, and the head of Guest Services said specifically that it can be used ONLY for Celebrity cruises.

We had one from 911. We were on the Zenith when it happened and could not go to NY, had to be dropped off in Baltimore. We had a reservation with RCCL for 2002 called and asked if they would accept the certificate. They said no. Canceled RCCL and book the Caribbean on Millennium. Had a wonderful time.

I have no real world experience using these vouchers.

But I seem to recall reading somewhere in these forums in the last 2 months or so, someone upset they did this, as they only got $50 in value on RC for using a X future cruise certificate valued at far more than that.

There was likely far more to the story however.

You probably need to contact X or RCL directly - is there a number on the certificate(s) you have - I'd start there for sure.

I wouldn't think they are transferrable - especially if any perks were involved when the certificate was issued, but you never know.

Also I have read here that there are "older" certificates with different rules and usability versus the newer ones issued.

I look at it as my Marriott Points I have, some hotels charge me 70,000 per night, others only 10,000 a night, different "products" have different rules and policies, even if owned by the same owner.

Here's the answer from Celebrity: it depends. What the customer service rep told me is it depends on why I was given the certificate. He went off and read the notes and came back and said no. Makes me wonder under what circumstances there would have been a different answer - or does it depend on who is reading the notes? I asked if a supervisor might have more flexibility and he said no.

But here's the kicker: he said I could use it for on-board credit on a Royal Caribbean cruise. That makes no sense to me.

Here's the answer from Celebrity: it depends. What the customer service rep told me is it depends on why I was given the certificate. He went off and read the notes and came back and said no. Makes me wonder under what circumstances there would have been a different answer - or does it depend on who is reading the notes? I asked if a supervisor might have more flexibility and he said no.

But here's the kicker: he said I could use it for on-board credit on a Royal Caribbean cruise. That makes no sense to me.

Actually that's what the poster I referred to said in their post, which made no sense to me, but this is the 2nd time I heard it so must be some reality to it. I think that poster said they allowed $50 OBC, I assumed a cruise cert as valued at $500 or more.

I have used a Royal Caribbean future cruise certificate on Celebrity once, and have used a Celebrity future cruise certificate on Royal Caribbean once. The last one was booked in May 2014 for a cruise that was just completed in June 2015.

This was done with no difficulty in either case.

In both situations, I received the current benefits for a future cruise certificate on the line I was booking, not the benefits that were promised by the issuing line at the time I purchased the gift certificates.

Edited by elena7seas

If I understand correctly OP has a special certificate due to a customer service issue that has different rules and restrictions than those one purchases in future Crusie Sales.

I.e. one was gifted (call it what you want for the customer issue, but it was not "paid for") and ones that can move around were paid for.

Likely the OP's version is highly restricted in this case.

I have used a Royal Caribbean future cruise certificate on Celebrity once, and have used a Celebrity future cruise certificate on Royal Caribbean once. The last one was booked in May 2014 for a cruise that was just completed in June 2015.

This was done with no difficulty in either case.

In both situations, I received the current benefits for a future cruise certificate on the line I was booking, not the benefits that were promised by the issuing line at the time I purchased the gift certificates.

I am the person Cle-Guy mentioned in a pervious post. Indeed 4 years ago I changed a FCC from RCI in order to sail on Celebrity. I had 0 difficulty and only a minor reduction in OBC. I have been sailing with Celebrity ever since then and it seems the FCC rules and OBC are drastically different now.

I was told by 2 RCI reps and 1 Celebrity rep that the FCC transfer was possible. What they did not tell me is that the OBC from Celebrity ($150) will reduce to $50 when transferred to RCI

According to a Captains Club rep (whom I contacted after the changes were completed), FCC transfers are not allowed anymore and he was confused as to why someone would attempt such a transaction on my booking.

The rules have changed recently per the Captain Club rep, and not everyone is on the ball with the new rules. I would say ... don't do it, even of they allow you to. You might have a different outcome than me if you try, but indeed , I believe it may not be truly allowed anymore.

BTW I still have a dinosaur FCC from RCI that I keep moving year after year. I can't transfer it to my TA, and have opt to use FCC's that I can transfer to my TA when booking future cruises. The RCI rep told me to never cancel that FCC because they don't exist anymore. I have $100 OBC for a RCI FCC that one can move from ship to ship without penalty and will raise to $150 if I book in a Jr suite or higher. I re-confirmed the rules with her-just to make double sure. The old rules were what I was use to. I still do not completely understand the current FCC rule changes.

If you have a old FCC, maybe the transfer rules are different- not sure:p

Edited by MoyCoy