August 27th Cruise to Canada/New England on Liberty

jude8

I can't thank you enough for the planner and entertainment schedule. I like to plan ahead as much as possible and this is great help. Even if it is not exactly the same for each cruise, it gets me close when trying to plan out the week. I have not seen "The Planner" document before. Do you know if this is something new?

Day 8, Halifax

Today we decided to get room service so we could get an early start. It was very easy getting off the ship. We had no wait at all and they had two gangways which helped.

We rented from the Hertz car rental that was right at the port on Marginal Road. It was a 2 minute walk once you were outside. I was ecstatic it was so close. Then it happened. We got there and they had no cars there! Two families were ahead of us. That morning, Hertz only had one car at the site. We all had reservations too. In addition, there are 4000 passengers getting off the ship and some may want a car. It was very strange. We had to wait about 20 minutes before they brought our car from the Marriott in town.

Anyway, we then headed out of town. We wanted to beat all the ship excursion groups to Peggy’s Cove!!! We got there and some of the groups were already there but it did not affect the beauty of this place! We did not stay long because we had other stops to make in our final destination.

Well, I will admit it. I am a huge Haven fan, a show on Syfy and they filmed a number of scenes there! So because of it, I was determined to get to Lunenburg and of course it is also a UNESCO site (really more for Haven!)

So on our way to Lunenburg we drove along the coast and stopped at Mahone Bay which was a cute picturesque town. My DH had to of course get some donuts at Tim Horton’s on our trip as well.

We got to Lunenburg. I hated that our time was limited because it was a beautiful little city. We drove around and did stop in a few shops. This is another place I would like to come back and spend more time. We grabbed a quick lunch at The Savvy Sailor. My husband had haddock chowder and salt cod cakes and I ate whole bowl of fresh steamed mussels with garlic and white wine! The restaurant is right on the water. I highly recommend it if you make the trip!

On the way back, we drove through Chester. It was okay but I would not recommend stopping given the limited time.

It was another great day!

We are big Haven fans too. Did you manage to find any of the locations in Lunenburg and Chester? We are there on a taxi tour in October. :D

• 3 months later...