QM2 N.Y.arrival - How to ????????

rabbit85

Just recd. the 'cruise' info. packet for Nov 20th S'oton to New York--

I am going to Self-Help disembark so I can get to JFK as soon as reasonably

possible-- on Saty.Nov 26th

ANYONE!!!! Please , anyone-----give me ideas for the most simple,easy let alone economical way to get to JFK from the new Pier 12 Brooklyn dock?

Taxi,Public transport via say Subway, Coach etc --- ??????????????????

The QM2Transportn Request Form says 'For flights after 1 pm 'JFK $42.00

Mid-town Manhatten $19.00

Is there a Subway nearby in Brooklyn, or other ways to reach JFK??

or is it best to go in to Midtown-Penn Stn,P.A.Bus Termn,Gr Cent.Stn

and then get say the Subway or what ( only have 1 wheelie case!)

Many thanks to nice New Yorkers with LOCAL knowledge!

Just recd. the 'cruise' info. packet for Nov 20th S'oton to New York-- I am going to Self-Help disembark so I can get to JFK as soon as reasonably possible-- on Saty.Nov 26th

ANYONE!!!! Please , anyone-----give me ideas for the most simple,easy let alone economical way to get to JFK from the new Pier 12 Brooklyn dock?

Not a local, but you will dock in Manhattan, QM2 will dock in Brooklyn from April 2006 - ORIANA's docking there today is temporary - the facilities are not ready yet.

Peter

Not a local, but you will dock in Manhattan, QM2 will dock in Brooklyn from April 2006 - ORIANA's docking there today is temporary - the facilities are not ready yet.

Peter

Thanks for that peter, was gutted when i read rabbit85 had recieved "cruise info" for 20 nov to NY and was heading to brooklyn, as we sailout on 26 nov

cheers.. sean

Just recd. the 'cruise' info. packet for Nov 20th S'oton to New York--

I am going to Self-Help disembark so I can get to JFK as soon as reasonably

possible-- on Saty.Nov 26th

Taxi,Public transport via say Subway, Coach etc --- ??????????????????

The QM2Transportn Request Form says 'For flights after 1 pm 'JFK $42.00

Mid-town Manhatten $19.00

Is there a Subway nearby in Brooklyn, or other ways to reach JFK??

or is it best to go in to Midtown-Penn Stn,P.A.Bus Termn,Gr Cent.Stn

and then get say the Subway or what ( only have 1 wheelie case!)

Many thanks to nice New Yorkers with LOCAL knowledge!

Hi Rabbit85, cant help with the info you want but are you sure about arrival into Brooklyn? You seem to be quoting facts from your cruise info, I do hope this is a mistake and you will be going into Manhatten....please recheck & let us all know... here's hoping..

I lived in Brooklyn! Im not sure what you consider economical, but for around $50 (I am guessing) you can take a local car service to the airport. Try asking 718 info (718-555-1212) for "Mexicana" car service, "Ridge" Car service, or any number of car services in the area of Brooklyn. You can also call a large company available on the web called "Boston Coach" - they are reliable but very expensive.

There are no trains that are close to the docks- you will have to walk a very long way to the nearest subway. It might be better simply to take Cunard's bus offer.

Good Luck

I was confused.for the voyage information was sent from 'cruisecom' who

sold me the B6 obst.Cabin and have now upgraded us to a B3 Deck 6 in-hull

balcony. I thought this 36 page booklet was from Cunard,for it had a Guest Regn.form to be completed,plus insurance,tours and other info for Nov 20th

Thanks to Peter & pals it seems we will be docking at the usual

Manhatten pier and NOT Brooklyn (until April 2006) so if I get off early I

will take a taxi to either a Subway, Gr Central for a train or the Bus Coach Terminal ?

I'm still unsure what is the present best Manhatten-JFK transit method-as

I still live in the days when a taxi ride to Idlewild was $20 (& a $2.00 tip)

and I went aboard QM for a 1st Class Sun deck single Cabin for $150 the

day of sailing --- of course we did not have Computers,Birth Control and

Jet planes,but the atom had been split!

So this voyage is mainly for curiousity,and a careful check on Peters'

Guernseyguy great diary from a few weeks ago!

Thanks everyone!!! (Still not sure Downtown to JFK ? - I was impressed

that a $50 fare is pretty standard and acceptable

for New Yorkers! Here in S.C. that would be a

long cab ride!)

I still live in the days when a taxi ride to Idlewild was $20 (& a $2.00 tip)

and I went aboard QM for a 1st Class Sun deck single Cabin for $150 the

day of sailing --- of course we did not have Computers,Birth Control and

Jet planes,but the atom had been split!

And property and taxes were affordable in Charleston south of Broad! OK...maybe never south of Broad, but in other parts of The Holy City. ;-)

If you want to - you could take the taxi to 42nd street and take the "A" train to the last stop, where you will be transfered to the monorail (for an additional $6 p/p) that will take you to the airline terminals. HOWEVER - its a long ride (maybe an hour or a little above) and you will be dragging your luggage around. People do it however.

You can also walk across the street to the port authority where you can catch a bus to the airport (dont know the bus company, but go search the NYC port authority web site or the Kennedy airport web site - they must have info on this). I think they charge $20 and that would be far more convenient than taking a train.

Good Luck -

Dan

Local New Yorker here. When you get off in Manhattan, by far the easiest way to get to JFK, and fairly economical, will be to take a yellow taxi from the pier; there will be plenty available. There is a flat $35 dollar fare (plus tolls and tip) to the airport. No matter what anybody tells you, there is no easy, fast and economical public transportation to JFK. It involves a complicated series of connection through distant subway lines and at least one bus, and really is just not worth the effort, stress and confusion. The Taxi would end up being about $45 all in, and given the convenience and ease of making the transfer this way, you should really consider any other option.

Archived