Internet access in cabin question...

FrogCruiser

I understand that for a fee you can obtain a modem to access the internet for unlimited usage during the cruise. Is it possible to access the internet from 2 different laptops in the same cabin? I realize that doesn't really sound like something I should need or want to do on a VACATION but I thought I'd ask in the interest of marital harmony !!! thanks

I understand that for a fee you can obtain a modem to access the internet for unlimited usage during the cruise. Is it possible to access the internet from 2 different laptops in the same cabin? I realize that doesn't really sound like something I should need or want to do on a VACATION but I thought I'd ask in the interest of marital harmony !!! thanks

yes it is. You have to plug the modem into your laptop so it does not matter which one you use. However you won't be able to use both at the same time.

If you have a wireless card in your laptop you may get a wifi signal in your cabin and you won't have to use the modem.

On my RCCL panama crossing my tablemates got the internet access and has no complaints about it.

One thing is that you should check the price with an RCCL customer service rep BY EMAIL before you go. Print the email and bring it along.

Both he and I were quoted the same price from the RCCL customer service rep (me by phone, he by email) but they tried to charge him a higher price once he got on board. Since he had the email from the RCCL customer service rep, he got the lower price.

What is the charge on a 10 day or 12 day cruise for unlimited in-room internet access via my own laptop? Is it "high" speed or dial up?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what it is on any of the other ships but on the "Voyager" class it was $100 for both the 7 & 9 night cruises for unlimited use of the modem. This is dialup and is VERY slow.

WIFI is based on minutes.. 50 cents per minute whether you use your own computer or the ones in the Internet Cafe. However you can purchase packages that give you a lower rate such as $25, $50 and the rate drops to like 42 cents a minute.

Again this was on the Voyager and the Navigator which are the "Voyager" class ships. I imagine that the cost is probably the same on the others but I would definitely call RCCL and ask.

I am pretty sure that wifi does not work in Staterooms at least on the Voyager. There were certain hotspots you could take your laptop too (I saw a couple who had the hotspot list) but not in the staterooms (for wireless anyhow). FYI.

On the new ship FOS you will be able to access WIFI in your cabin.

I am pretty sure that wifi does not work in Staterooms at least on the Voyager. There were certain hotspots you could take your laptop too (I saw a couple who had the hotspot list) but not in the staterooms (for wireless anyhow). FYI.

On the new ship FOS you will be able to access WIFI in your cabin.

Oddly enough I was able to access the wifi in my cabin on the 6th deck even though there were no hot spots on this deck at all... as a matter of fact the nearest hot spot was several decks below & above. It said the signal was weak but it worked fine. I also heard others say they were able to get access in their cabins as well. When I mentioned this to the CS rep at the desk they said yes some cabins get a signal but they do not want to state this since they do not want to be responsible if people cannot get the signal. So they state that you must go to the hot spot to get wifi.

At the hot spots the signal was excellent but to be honest I didn't see much difference between the hot spots and my cabin.

And of course this was on the Voyager. I can't speak for any of the other ships

We were on the Mariner this past April and were also able to get the Wi-fi in our 8th floor stateroom. The hot spots were Ellingtons Lounge, the Solarium, Cafe Promenade, Wig & Gravel Pub, the Schooner Bar, and the Conference Ctr.

Prices for Wi fi were .50 a min. and the package deals were 60 min. $25; 90 min. $35; and 150 min. $50.

If you don't have Wi fi, you can rent a wi fi card for $10 a day.

I paid $100:( on a Med cruise to plug the laptop in our room on deck 8. We were on Brilliance, the voyage from hell: 2 deaths, including a murder and our tablemate, the worst food ever and the worst internet on board a ship in 9 years! The internet worked 10% of the time, including at the dock. The speed, when it did work was between 20 and 28K! The problem is bandwidth. They have barely sufficient for the pay-as-you-go, nevermind the cabins. The attitude is: tough, we told you that it can be slow.

It is strange that sister line Celebrety can have adequate internet and good food. On Oceania Regatta last year, the service was equivalent to fast dialup and worked all the time. The same was true with Thahitian Princess in the South Pacific!

DT10L;)

We bought the internet package while on the Navigator, we never could get it to work on our laptop. Even had a tech from the ship come and try and no go- he blamed it on AOL. We took the modem back and got a full refund.

The internet cafe was really not much better and we used up the free minutes we had in one session mostly waiting to get signed on.

We found our best bet was to use the internet cafe's on the islands. Usually very high speed and cost us about $3 for 15-20 min use.

Funcruiser

I had in-cabin internet access on our Panama Canal cruise in April on Serenade. I believe it was $200 for the 14 days. A little high, but it turned out to be worth it. I was able to check email from work (the deal I made in order to take 2 weeks off at once), but even better could email pictures "live" to my sister and even chat with her real-time via AOL Instant Messenger.

On the second day of the cruise I was suddenly unable to access most websites, but I finally figured out the problem: Windows had installed some automatic updates that the RCCL server apparently didn't like. I rolled back the operating system to an earlier date, disabled automatic updates and all was fine from then on.

It isn't a fast connection - somewhere between 28K and 52K - but it was serviceable for what I needed.

Happy cruising,

Susan

Archived