Travel Insurance????

dachamps

We went with it. I feel that there are too many variables in the cruise industry and we put down wayyyy to much money to not guarantee it with a little more. Plus my folks have some medical issues and you never know what COULD happen. I feel better knowing that if something goes wrong, we are covered.Also, our travel agency had better coverage than the cruise line we went with PLUS it was cheaper:D !

dachamps: the first time we took independent travel insurance it paid for itself twice over. I had to visit the ship's infirmary two times. The bill was $380 and our insurance company reimbursed us in full without any hassle whatsoever. We do not cruise without it anymore--just too many things can (and do) happen over which you may not have any control. It is bad enough to have to cancel a cruise or leave the ship due to illness or family emergency, but it is far worse to do so and lose all the money you paid for your cruise and/or air fare. It is an individual decision but for us travel insurance is well worth the money and peace of mind.

I would definately make sure I had additional health insurance. Somewhere on these boards I read that if they have to evacuate you from the ship by helicopter they charge about $25 000. On our last cruise the ship had to divert to Cozumel on our way to Jamaica to drop off a passenger with a medical problem. I wonder if they were charged for the additional fuel used.

Kinda Like visa...... Never leave home without it..... Would you leave your cash at home? Would you leave your visa card at home? Never go on A cruise without it..... You never know if you will need it, But if you do.... It is there.... Question you need to ask yourself????? Would you not insure your car? Your home? Why not Insure your trip and yourself and or spouse or other..... It is A small fee to pay and you hope you will never need to use it, But if you need to you got it...... And will pay for itself big time if it come to that....... A $2,000 to $4,000 cruise could become A $20,000 debt if you leave home without it..... For the little it cost.... Well worth it... Just hope you never need to use it, But if you do...... Damn!!! You Are covered and saved thousands.......

If you're:

A) independently wealthy, or

B) can afford to lose all the money you've invested in your cruise and a whole lot more,

then don't buy insurance. If you can't answer yes to either A or B, BUY INSURANCE! Simple!

We always buy our insurance right after we book our cruise - then we don't have to give it another thought.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

What if: you get into an auto accident the day before you're supposed to leave for the cruise; you have a house fire and you cannot leave on the trip; a loved one passes away the day before the cruise; you come down with pneumonia and the doctor won't allow you to travel; you have emergency surgery a week before the cruise; you fall and break a leg on the cruise (do you have an extra $30,000 for medical evacuation off the ship---that's what it costs), and so on and so on. If you don't have insurance for all those reasons, and you have to cancel your cruise, you lose all your money with no recourse. I've had to use travel insurance three times with absolutely no problem getting the money returned.

In a word . . . yes. No matter how healthy one may be or how sure one is that their flight won't cancel . . . everyone needs cruise insurence. Just as with health insurance or homeowner's insurance . . . one has to make plans for the unexpected. As a former flight attendant, I used to laugh at those that took out flight insurance before boarding their flight (actually I still do) . . . but cruise insurance is an entirely different thing.

Here is the perfect example. Booked an 11 night Hawaiian cruise but used FF miles for the air. DUe to Hurricane Rita flight was cancelled and I could not rebook air because there was no room. Bought travel insurance that included trip cancellation due to inclement weather and we are now receiving thousands of dollars in refund with no questions asked just have to have documentation re: cancelled flight. Insurance was only a total of $142 and that is a small investment compared to what I will get back. As for the FF miles they are being redeposited with all fees waived and taxes refunded. DOn't leave home without insurance but remember to call and ask exactly what is covered. If I had not purchased it within 7 days of booking the cruise we would not have been covered. There are some advantages to booking early. Also we did not use the Ships insurance because then we would get vouchers only for that cruiselines versus receiving a cash refund. Know your product!!

I have to agree that travel insurance is worth the cost. Especially for the medical costs that could happen. Insurance is usually based on the cost of the cruise. For our 7-night cruise to Alaska next year we are spending $44pp for insurance, well worth if in case the unexpected could occur.

Archived