first time in Belize - cave tubing or shark/ray snorkeling?

mangowife

Hubby and I are cruising on Enchantment of the Seas starting 10/24 (first time cruisers!). We're scheduled on a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel, and now we're trying to decide what to do in Belize.

I have heard that cave tubing is unique to Belize, so I was really excited about that - but then I saw that snorkeling trips to Long Caye are offered and the nurse sharks/stingrays come right up to you there! I'm a person that loves water, but I wonder if I will be bored riding on a tube down a river? On the other hand, I know I'll have a chance to snorkel in Cozumel...

Can anyone out there lend some advice about this? Is the snorkeling in Cozumel better/worse than the snorkeling in Belize?

Thank you!

We have snorkeled in Belize and Cozumel and find the snorkeling in Cozumel to be better. (Our opinion) If we go again, we will do the cave tubing in Cozumel; many people on our ship said it was their favorite excursion.

Have a great cruise!

Went on the Enchantment last Thanksgiving (before drydock), and had a blast. Went to Cozumel and planned to snorkel but didn't, beached it all day. Snorkeled with the sharks in Belize and tour took us to Caye Caulker where we spent the rest of the day on golf carts. This was actually Thanksgiving day and all family members (all 40 of them on this excursion) said it was the best day and excursion ever.

Some other friends did the cave tubing and said they had a nice day, but didn't rave about it. Course now that I've done the sharks, next time I'll do the cave tubing.

Sorry it doesn't make your decision any easier, you'll just have to go again!

Mangowife,

We did the cave tubing in Belize and loved it. This was actually our favorite excursion on the whole cruise. We did book this through the ship as it was our first cruise and didn't really no about booking privately. It was about a 45 minute busride and then you get all your equipment and hike through the rainforest for about 30 - 40 minutes. It isn't a hard hike and it is just beautiful as you are going through. The guide was very knowledable on both the bus and walking through the rainforest. When we got to the end of the hike you could either walk into the water by climbing down the side on a rope (guide is there to help you) you just kind of plop into your tube - or you can jump off the cliff - Dh chose to jump but me and the kids went down the side - once you are in your tube you float through the caves for about 40 minutes. It was just incredible -the water was a little chilly - if you decide to do this take an old tshirt so it keeps the tube from rubbing against you. My personal opinion is you can snorkel anywhere - how often do you get the chance to cave tube? Let me know if you have anymore questions!

We just got back from Belize Sunday. We did the cave-tubing. Can't wait to do it again, this was the best trip we have ever had. We went with Yonny and cave-tubing.com. He was the best guide. We felt very safe doing this. They met us at the doc, picked us up and we were on our way. Did an extra cave which was nice, didn't have to share it with other groups.

Archived