Confused about Shopping!

2minpins

:confused: Can someone clear up my confusion about the shopping area in Phillipsburg? I have read that it is an easy walk, and also that you should buy the water taxi bracelet.

How far is it from the cruise pier to the main shopping area? We will only have a couple of hours because we will be on another excursion earlier in the day, but want to get some jewelry shopping in also.

Thanks!

I have not walked from the pier, I have always taken the water taxi which is pretty fast and drops you off right in the middle of the shopping plaza. I think it was $5-6 for a all day, r/t ticket. Well worth it.

I am also a little confused, if you take the water taxi over is this the shopping area that is known as Front Street? :confused:

I have been to Phillipsburg many times, and will be going back again this year in

Oct., aboard the AOS.

The walk is a very easy walk should be about 5mins. if you don't window shop along the way. Why one would say that it is an easy walk and then say to take

the water taxi is beyond me except that if they bought a lot of items while shopping.

By the way prices are almost better in the US than any caribbean port. But if you must buy remember to do your homework first.

If you are docked at the pier (not using tenders), there is shopping at the pier - which is about a 5 minute walk from the ship. Front street is probably a mile walk, but along a fairly narrow, heavily trafficked roadway (no sidewalks). If you are going to Front Street, I suggest the water taxi, which as another poster suggested is $5-$6 for the whole day, so you can make multiple trips to carry all your purchases!

Thanks for all the info!

So, now my question is...we are going on the Lord Sheffield for the first part of the day...their website says:

If you are arriving via cruise ship, we are located a short walk (towards town) from the cruise ship pier. There should be no need of a taxi. Just leave the cruise ship dock, turn left and walk 5 minutes. The first building you come to is Dock Maarten (a big yellow building) and we are at the end of the dock.

So, once we complete that, we will want to shop....so is it best to walk back to the ship and take the water taxi or keep walking from there? Where is the water taxi? And will we be closer or farther from shopping when we get done at Lord Sheffield? We will only have about 2 hours I believe to be back to the ship.:confused:

If you are docked at the pier (not using tenders), there is shopping at the pier - which is about a 5 minute walk from the ship. Front street is probably a mile walk, but along a fairly narrow, heavily trafficked roadway (no sidewalks). If you are going to Front Street, I suggest the water taxi, which as another poster suggested is $5-$6 for the whole day, so you can make multiple trips to carry all your purchases!

Ok this is great information! We were in St. Martin a year ago and I do remember where the water taxi is located does anyone know what beach is located across the way when you are standing in line to get the water taxi there is a beach straight ahead anyone know what beach this is? If so what do they have there? place to eat/drink/shower etc.....Thanks!:)

The water taxi and the Lord Sheffield leave/arrive from the same area in the marina, which is a few minutes' walkk from the ship.

The water taxi will take you across Gt. Bay to the center of Front street. That's right on Gt. Bay beach. Sooooo convenient -- Front st. runs parallel to the beach. The buildings on the beach side are on Front st on the front and the beach (and boardwalk) on the back. Shop, swim, eat, drink ... all in one place.

When we were there last year, we shot the wad (50 bucks or something ;-) and rented a hotel room at Holland House www.hhbh.com for the day. Well worth it, especially with an eighty-something mother in tow. Rests, showers, shopping, lunch, we enjoyed it all.

Ah, I wish I were going. :D (green, that's me)

The water taxi and the Lord Sheffield leave/arrive from the same area in the marina, which is a few minutes' walkk from the ship.

Thanks so much for the info...that seems like it will be VERY convenient for a quick shopping trip after the Lord Sheffield.:)

In years past, the cruise ships tendered into Phillipsburg and docked at Front St. Then they built the cement pier to eliminate the tenders. Some shopping located on new pier. The water taxi just brings you from the new pier to the old dock at Front St. The walk to town offers no advantage and is not picturesque. We always shop in St Maarten as prices are better than other islands. Take the water taxi - you can buy the daily pass and go back and forth all you want for $5 or $6 US.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats one reason I love to shop in ST Martin. The best selection and prices are on the French side at the liquor store just outside the Port Royale or at one of the 2 Supermarkets just outside Marigot. There is a specialty shop in Marigot that has very old rhums and cognacs but they are pricy. There is a shop on the main central road from P'burg to Marigot near a supermarket.

Archived