What happened in LaRomana?

mccusaf

Just got off the Breeze this morning (boarded on 29 Aug) and am headed home, we had an awesome time, but I was going to ask what happened in La Romana? We heard there was an incident on one of the Carnival excursions but didn't get details, and I don't want to speculate too much but it almost sounded like maybe the taxi/bus got robbed? Has anyone else heard or was affected?

Btw, we took a private excursion with ProExcursions on the catamaran tour and it was a blast!

Just got off the Breeze this morning (boarded on 29 Aug) and am headed home, we had an awesome time, but I was going to ask what happened in La Romana? We heard there was an incident on one of the Carnival excursions but didn't get details, and I don't want to speculate too much but it almost sounded like maybe the taxi/bus got robbed? Has anyone else heard or was affected?

Btw, we took a private excursion with ProExcursions on the catamaran tour and it was a blast!

My husband's co-worker was on this cruise. The co-worker said the passengers on a tour van were robbed. I don't know if it was a private van or one of the vans that wait around to solicit tourists that we take chances with. I logged on cruise critic in order to get more information myself

Edited by eedee

I don't know for sure but it almost sounded like it was one of the vans actually for the Carnival hosted excursion. The reason I say that is because when we heard about the incident it was during the Q&A with the cruise director and someone asked if the passengers were going to be compensated and the CD said yes, I would think if it was through a privately hosted excursion Carnival wouldn't compensate? I'm not sure though. . .

I don't know for sure but it almost sounded like it was one of the vans actually for the Carnival hosted excursion. The reason I say that is because when we heard about the incident it was during the Q&A with the cruise director and someone asked if the passengers were going to be compensated and the CD said yes, I would think if it was through a privately hosted excursion Carnival wouldn't compensate? I'm not sure though. . .

If private Carnival would have no responsibility. Hope nobody got hurt.

I have talked to people that have lived previously down in the amber cover area and they said it was bad ,as in the haitian ppl living there ,crime rate was high ,police officers corrupt ,but now they say it is even worse ,I don't believe we will be going there any time in the future .Worrying about being robbed ,or attacked while on a cruise is not an option IMHO.

Where did you hear this from? Is there another thread or newspaper article? We are headed there in Jan.

We were in the Q&A with the CD on the ship and one of the other passengers asked him if the people that were on the LaRomana excursion were going to be compensated for the incident. Rumor was that they were robbed so I was trying to find out for sure. We went off ship without incident but it's scary to think that could have been us!

Don't mean to diss my neighbor Dominican brothers and sisters but when people form Puerto Rico (where I live) travel to the Dominican Republic there is one cardinal rule: Stay within the tourist zones unless 1)you know your way around already or 2) You're with someone TRUSTWORTHY who is from or knows the place. I've heard hundreds of stories from there and have a personal one from my family that ended in tragedy. Even so, I don't say this out of spite or anything like that. If you're going to take a ship sponsored tour in any destination, this is the place. And as you can see, not even that makes you less vulnerable to crime. Be careful in the DR.

BTW, I work in the hospitality industry in PR, my accounts are not just from PR locals.

Edited by Stinger-pr

Travel anywhere can be risky at times...large American cities are not exactly the safest places, in some areas, and we can all talk about some of the hazards associated with traveling in Europe, Asia, the middle East, etc.

People have had issues at almost every Island nation, as well as Central America. As others have said, don't carry valuables, large amounts of cash, or flash those lap tops, cell phones, digital cameras and expensive jewelry and stay on the beaten path.

In reality 99% of us have never faced a burglary or robbery or personal assault in all of our travels. Limiting our travels because of the "what ifs" would be sad.

our cruise stop in DR last year, some passengers got robbed just walking down the street. Cell phones, everything taken. La Romana

I was just speaking to a Missionary worker who travels extensively. She said the only problem she has had was in honduras. They had to pay the "so called police" to get in and out of the country via car. And they did get their vehicle robbed as well.

We were just innocently walking around in Puerta Rico and a fellow turned us back and said not to go down the way we were going. That was very nice of the local.

Not every port is for everybody, but there are dangerous areas everywhere.

That said, when traveling in exceptionally poor locations it's a good idea to carry limited cash, one credit card, and an ID and nothing more. I have a cheap mobile phone that I use in these locations as well which I wouldn't be concerned about losing. This way you have no qualms about just handing everything to the perp and walking away.

Edited by gtalum

Been to La Romana twice and second time never saw reason to get off the ship.

Artists colony was interesting but no reason to go back.

Never understood why so many ships stopped there.

Then you are missing one beautiful place!!!

We took a private charter to Saona Island and that was the BEST excursion we have EVER been on hands down! Such beauty, so much to do and so much fun, was the best day we had on a cruise..............:D

Can't wait for the reviews on Amber Cove (which I am sure will have tons of security; even though there is dock space for 2 ships, they will only dock one in the beginning). When we went to La Romana we had 3 groups do 3 different tours with CCL and all were good. Still, we are planning on staying in port at Amber Cove just to experience the new facility while it's fresh and new.

Hope those affected by this robbery are doing well and are able to move forward without constant fear. I had a friend robbed at knifepoint while at work in a party store where they sold balloons and such...she was a mess for a few months, couldn't go back to work, etc. These occurrences are very life-altering for most people.