Cruise Rates getting higher

lilmizz

Ok So usually we book for our January or Feb cruise in Aug/ Sept. best prices... This time we booked back in June. Glad we did because costs have been going up! Ive heard from other CC members that this is whats been going on this time with the cruises they have booked. Whats up? are more ppl going now at this time of year? ( I think its the best time to cruise) Better weather and usually not a full ship. But things are changing? Economy maybe?

Edited by lilmizz

Just simple economics of supply and demand. If Carnival is filling ships with pre-bookings at the current rate their is absolutely no incentive to sale at reduced rates. Prices have been low for several years because of the incidents that Carnival experienced, but now their place in the market is no longing being negatively impacted.

Ok So usually we book for our January or Feb cruise in Aug/ Sept. best prices... This time we booked back in June. Glad we did because costs have been going up! Ive heard from other CC members that this is whats been going on this time with the cruises they have booked. Whats up? are more ppl going now at this time of year? ( I think its the best time to cruise) Better weather and usually not a full ship. But things are changing? Economy maybe?

Our B2B on Glory, 1/9/16 & 1/16/16 also are up from what we booked last January while onboard our 2015 B2B. We booked ES and hope for some price drops after final payment. However, we are not counting on it since prices seem to be going up & up.

We did book at a good price & received the OBC for booking onboard so we can't complain.

I booked for the Breeze several months ago for a January sailing and watch prices daily. The price is $20 higher for the room I booked but have noticed the interior rooms going up and down. I need to book some more OV rooms and patiently waiting for them to go down. I could go for some OBC as well!

Prices have been low for several years because of the incidents that Carnival experienced, but now their place in the market is no longing being negatively impacted.

This is my theory. They haven't been in the news lately because of a broken down ship or similar, so not as many people are inclined to avoid Carnival.

Demand is very strong so they raise prices to maximize income

They should be doing very well on their fuel bills too! When oil reached $140 CCL did add the surcharge, they made it work. Now the price is about $50 per barrel. I don't know how much savings that equates to but must be a nice chunk.

For a while the cruise lines were battling a poor economy, while adding record numbers of capacity... As ship ordering has slowed (some lines had multiple new ships a year). As ordering slowed and the economy picked up, the growth of supply slowed while the growth of demand increased...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen some higher and some lower than I would expect. Like the other posters said it's all supply and demand.

I like to book within 6 weeks of departure. I m fortunate to live near a few ports so I can wait later on to book. But given some flexibility as to ship/itinerary/line there are some deals to be had. I realize if you are flying then the air fare cost can be counter productive by booking later on.

Usually I have several that are in the same time frame that I can choose from, so waiting till later on, am usually able to get a good deal.

From past experience I have found one of the best times to cruise is departing the 2 weekends directly following Thanksgiving. A lot of capacity in the US back from Europe and Alaska and the demand is not that high yet.

Even some of the more high end lines like Celebrity have deals that time of year.

As far as air fare, you don't always have to pay a ridiculous fare to fly by booking closer in. I flew ow from Tampa to San Juan last year for Carnival's Splendor reposition from San Juan to Miami and only paid 140.00 or so one way on jetBlue. And the rate on the reposition cruise was unbelievable. That's another tip, check in to repositions as they are usually lower than can be imagined.

Edited by Jay Sam
addition

But given some flexibility as to ship/itinerary/line there are some deals to be had.

Except that if cruises are selling well at a higher price it isn't always the case that specials will be offered the last few weeks to sell cabins just to sail full. If a ship sails at a financial optimum that is the goal. I wonder if there are independent studies relating to cruise fare vs. on board spending. If passengers sail at a below "cost" rate and don't bring in additional funds on board what would be the point since expenses incurred by the cruiseline are the same regardless. I am sure many folks who travel cheap travel cheap across the board (though that isn't always the case).

Not entirely true , we booked a group of 8 cabins for June of next year last March, our prices have dropped twice since the original booking and we have 9 months to go. We hope they will go lower still. Now Carnival doesn't inform you of the price changes, we are always checking ,but for the savings it's worth it. By the way, the ship is almost sold out.

after todays fire, fares will go down tomorrow

Considering how obtuse many people are to the world around them it really takes a major incident with day and night press coverage to impact their lives in any way. If I weren't on this site and extremely interested in cruising I wouldn't have nor would I even hear about what happened to the Miracle. I am always surprised when researching cruise lines that things (often major) happened that I had never ever heard of.

Just simple economics of supply and demand. If Carnival is filling ships with pre-bookings at the current rate their is absolutely no incentive to sale at reduced rates. Prices have been low for several years because of the incidents that Carnival experienced, but now their place in the market is no longing being negatively impacted.

you put the whammy on them.:(

Bill