Calypso bands / music

jeffoula

Hi,

I just read somewhere that Carnival long longer has calypso bands playing on the lido deck or even over the sound system. Is this true? We are sailing next week. Calypso music and a Caribbean cruise go hand in hand.

Thanks for your input.

So I guess no calypso band for us this month?! That really sucks. A live calypso band really gets you in the vacation mode from the start. We have only ever cruised Carnival and are in our early 50's, does that mean we are too old for this cruise line? If so which line do we need to graduate to in order to get our live calypso band while leaving port for our infrequent much anticipated Caribbean cruise?

It was in late 2011 or early 2012 when they got rid of those. At first, all they had by the pool was a DJ blasting out the dance club music loud enough that Australia called and asked us to turn it down. They kept tweaking it, turning down the music or reducing the DJs time or even having a soloist playing out there (not calypso music, but still nice).

I also had read that they would be bringing back the calypso bands/duos, but I don't know if or when that's going to be done. Carnival hasn't been known to add things that require more staff lately.

Edited by k2excursion

It was in late 2011 or early 2012 when they got rid of those. At first, all they had by the pool was a DJ blasting out the dance club music loud enough that Australia called and asked us to turn it down. They kept tweaking it, turning down the music or reducing the DJs time or even having a soloist playing out there (not calypso music, but still nice).

I also had read that they would be bringing back the calypso bands/duos, but I don't know if or when that's going to be done. Carnival hasn't been known to add things that require more staff lately.

LMAO....too funny!!! But I do agree.

OP, as others have stated, Carnival hasn't had Calypso Bands in years. Then is one of the reasons I love Princess. They have great Calypso bands. A Caribbean cruise just isn't right without one!

Carnival has been stating for almost a year now that they are bringing them back, I just wonder when.

Hi,

I just read somewhere that Carnival long longer has calypso bands playing on the lido deck or even over the sound system. Is this true? We are sailing next week. Calypso music and a Caribbean cruise go hand in hand.

Thanks for your input.

We usually hang out at the aft bar area or in Serenity to avoid the DJ sounds at the sail away party, which is basically just line dances. It's fun for 30 minutes if you like that kind of music- our kids enjoy it, and I have been to known to move to it a little lol- but it's not like the old days. I wouldn't mind the DJs if they focused on island music, but they have been told what to play and it's a mix of genres, especially rock, country, and pop.

The lido deck has the DJ sounds upon return from port and also on sea days for a few hours every afternoon. It's a pretty rowdy party most of the time, especially on the last port day! Not sure what CCL was thinking when they went to the DJ format and did not include island music primarily, at least on lido. You are lucky to hear one Buffet or Marley song in the mix.

We enjoy the DJs for the most part, but we do love the live entertainers the most. We took our kids to hear the band on the Miracle; so rare to get that opportunity anymore to share big band sounds with the younger generation.