Splendor Repositioning Norfolk, VA to Miami, FL 10/30/15 to 11/1/15

aznoohwee

The ship does not have any passengers on it. It sails empty from Norfolk to Miami. This is because it is illegal to operate a passenger ship from a US port without stopping in another country, no more "cruises to nowhere", even though this rule doesn't take effect until January 1, 2016. If they ship goes from one US port to another US port, it must stop in a foreign international port of call, which means any of the ABC Islands, or South America. San Juan has a special exception to this rule, hence why one ways from the US and San Juan are legal.

But the short answer is no, you won't be able to cruise from Norfolk to Miami on Splendor.

We did the Halloween repositioning on the Splendor last year from NYC to San Juan and it was really fun. I can't find any information on this sailing so it might be chartered... Any information? Just curious.

Repositioning cruises to/from Norfolk always sail empty.

Unless they choose to offer one in the future that sails to a foreign port or San Juan before going to NY or Miami, that will remain the case.

I agree with the others. Splendor sails empty between NYC and Norfolk. Splendor will do a handful of sailings from Norfolk to the Bahamas and one to Bermuda. Splendor will then sail empty from Norfolk to Miami.

Edited by Eng23

I have to ask. Why is it illegal for a cruise ship to sail from a U.S. port to another U.S. port without stopping at a foreign country? What's the reasoning behind that?

It's a law. Google Passenger Vessel Services Act or PVSA. It is sometimes also referred to as the Jones Act but the two are actually different.

Basically these laws were enacted so that foreign flagged vessels could not transport passengers or goods between US ports. They required foreign flagged vessels to have a stop in a distant foreign port before returning to the US.

Ok, so all those cruises that start and end in Hawaii or start in Las Angeles or San Diego and end in Hawaii are illegal?

I know you didn't make the law but why are those cruises allowed to happen? They are operated by foreign flagged cruise ships.

Ok, so all those cruises that start and end in Hawaii or start in Las Angeles or San Diego and end in Hawaii are illegal?

I know you didn't make the law but why are those cruises allowed to happen? They are operated by foreign flagged cruise ships.

If I remember right they usually stop in Ensenada to comply with the law. Probably the most boring port of all IMO.

If I remember right they usually stop in Ensenada to comply with the law. Probably the most boring port of all IMO.

Some do but not all and the ones that start in Honolulu and end Honolulu just sail to each of the Hawaian islands and back to Honolulu. Search cruises on vacations to go dot com for Hawaii as a destination and it brings up lots of cruises that start and stop in U.S. with no stops to foreign ports.

Edited by Jeepenfun

Some do but not all and the ones that start in Honolulu and end Honolulu just sail to each of the Hawaian islands and back to Honolulu. Search cruises on vacations to go dot com for Hawaii as a destination and it brings up lots of cruises that start and stop in U.S. with no stops to foreign ports.

This is because the ship is not a foreign-flagged vessel. The Pride of America, the ship you are talking about, is the only US flagged passenger ship in the world, thus allowing it to operate cruises from the US to the US without leaving the US.