Dunn's River Falls or Blue Hole?

Eiansmomma

Trying to make some plans for our upcoming cruise to Ocho Rios. I definitely know that we would like to go to see some "falls". I'm having a hard time deciding which one is better. We don't like LARGE crowds, we are a family of 5 (ranging from 42-6 but my kids are all very adventurous). It might come down to which would work out better with some of the other things we would like to do (snorkeling or tubing). We are using "Paul's Jamaica Tours" to take us around....

Blue Hole is beautiful and not crowded. You'll be assigned a guide that's really good about helping you through the various places to jump off. Some are higher than others. The water is very refreshing. We did Dunn's on our first cruise in the 80s and it was nothing I'd do again.

We have visited both the Blue Falls and Dunns River Falls. What makes Dunns River Falls so fascinating is the fact you can actually climb up 600 feet over cool, cascading water. The trek up the falls offers an amazing opportunity to climb up steep boulders, push your way through gushing water and even slide down a natural waterslide. However, Dunns River Falls is a popular tourist attraction and therefore it is a busy place. During our last visit here, we waited 50 minutes for a guide who then rushed up the falls so that he could go on with another group.

Unlike Dunns, you cannot climb up the falls at the Blue Hole, but if you love adventure, then this is the place for you! The Blue Hole features beautiful turquoise waters, hidden caves, thrilling cliff jumps and exciting plunges off a Tarzan rope swing. Rather than waiting for a guide and then being rushed up the falls like we were at Dunns, we had a full 1 1/2 hours to enjoy this secluded piece of paradise with guides who very attentive and treated us like V.I.P.'s. Moreover, there were no crowds of people here either!

If you have never been to Jamaica before, and really would like to experience the excitement of climbing up a falls, than Dunns River is something worth doing. However, if you would like to experience something more secluded that offers more thrilling adventure, than the Blue Hole is perfect for that. Between these two spots and based on our experience, our family much preferred our time at the Blue Hole. In fact, our visit to the Blue Hole was the highlight of our Jamaican vacation!

I have written reviews with photos as well as put together YouTube video's of both Dunns River Falls and the Blue Hole. If you are interested to learn more about our experience with these two spots, then please check out my reviews and video's.

Dunns River Falls

Review:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d2043496-r179490738-Dunn_s_River_Falls_and_Park-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Video:

[YOUTUBE]1ELKsoLnx50[/YOUTUBE]

Blue Hole

Review:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Video:

[YOUTUBE]vGaWG_6i45o[/YOUTUBE]

Check out this CC link for more information about the Blue Hole and Dunns River Falls:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911338

Edited by dz63

Great advice. Thanks. I'm going in January and I hate crowds so I'm inclined to try blue falls. What's the weather like in Jamaica in January so I know what to bring?

The weather in January is fantastic. Usually not and sunny every day...average around 80.

We have been to both Dunn's River and the Blue Hole. I suggest the Blue Hole for an adventurous day. The scenery is amazing and no crowds.

The weather in January is fantastic. Usually not and sunny every day...average around 80.

We have been to both Dunn's River and the Blue Hole. I suggest the Blue Hole for an adventurous day. The scenery is amazing and no crowds.

80 and no crowds--sounds like a winner. 😎

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...