Anyone with Sprint able to send /receive text messages while at sea?

princessh

We are sailing the Oasis in 12 days! We are looking for a way to communicate with our 2 sons ages 12 and 20 while on board. We were going to go the route of renting the ship provided device, but I read recently that they are no longer offered. We have considered getting the wifi, but would need it on 3 devices. We are not really fond of the idea, as we would like to take the week to "disconnect" from the internet. Getting the wifi, kind of defeats that purpose. I do not want to go to walkie talkie route, cause quite frankly I feel they can be annoying to others around us. Just looking for a simple way to stay in touch with our kids (especially the 12 yo) should plans change. Yes I know we can go back to the room and leave messages with sticky notes or a dry erase board. Just looking for a quick simple way to stay in touch. Someone with AT&T told me they paid international texting rates (50 cents a message) to text their kids while on board. I do not mind paying that for the convenience. I guess I am wondering if Sprint international will work for texting on board. I called them to inquire, and they advised me out plan covers international travel, but could not give me an answer as to if texting will work while at sea. If anyone knows if it will work or has been anle to text, I would greatly appreciate knowing. Thanks! Sorry for such a long post! :)

Have not been able to text using our Sprint phones.

Another suggestion besides leaving notes in your room(s) is to leave voicemails on your room phone. While you and the kids are out and about, you can leave a voicemail and check it from any phone on the ship. Keeps you from having to trudge back to the room all the time. Make the kids check the voicemail every hour or so and/or leave you a voicemail letting you know they're okay.

Would you mind telling me how to access it, if you remember? Is there some sort of code you punch in once the voicemail kicks in? Is it an extension you dial, then put in your room number? Just making sure I have everything squared away. We sail in 11 days! :)

I can't recall the exact details. :( Come to think of it, I can't recall doing it specifically on Oasis. My apologies. 90% certain it'll work though. Check with guest services?

Oh my, if it doesn't work how embarrassed will I be? Might be shunned from Cruise Critic.

I have Sprint and used my phone for texting while on a Western Caribbean cruise. (Allure) It was approx 50 cents per text (I think it was a bit more to receive a text.) It was definitely worth it. Besides, It's better than running back to my stateroom to check messages. (In my opinion) Especially if you just wanted to see where someone is to meet up. I think my cell bill was an extra $30 ish that month. The Sprint agent will also tell you how to set up your phone once on board (to avoid extra charges while roaming)

We have Sprint service and were on the Allure (in March) and had the wi-fi service for two devices and were able text between both with no problems.

Additionally because you're on wi-fi there were no charges for any of our messages sent.

In fact I was able to send messages (and receive) from the mainland with no problem either.

You should always be able to text with no charge (and no problems) using wi-fi only.

We will be on the Oasis next week as well and plan to do the same again.

See you there!