Wedding music & jams

MsFox

My wedding day is getting clear, and I'm drawing a blank on what to play at the reception. My mom gets 5 songs, and I'm assuming she'll choose some fun salsa, merengue, and other songs. My fiance isn't a dancer but I like to dance. Or at least if other people want to, I want then to be able to. What songs did you or will you play at your wedding?

So far, the ceremony itself I want instrumental only versions. I am at a loss of what to play at my reception though. Advice?

My wedding day is getting clear, and I'm drawing a blank on what to play at the reception. My mom gets 5 songs, and I'm assuming she'll choose some fun salsa, merengue, and other songs. My fiance isn't a dancer but I like to dance. Or at least if other people want to, I want then to be able to. What songs did you or will you play at your wedding?

So far, the ceremony itself I want instrumental only versions. I am at a loss of what to play at my reception though. Advice?

I'm assuming you didn't choose the DJ and have to provide your own reception music? Besides the songs we had for our dances we told the DJ to play fun, dance music. I'd imagine if I'd have had to burn my own CDs I'd choose the same to keep people on the dance floor!

Originally I selected the DJ option, but my fiance was not a fan of the disco on Carnival Freedom. He's a reserved type o' fella, and I think the Havana bar has a cool Hispanic vibe that fits (fingers crossed). The flip side of that is I'm left with reception music searching. I'm on the hunt for fun music!

• 1 month later...
@slord12 were you given the option of giving the DJ a list of songs you wanted played?

I did request a few specific songs but mostly stuck with genres that we wanted to be played. We provided the DJ with a CD with 3 songs on it for our first dance, father daughter dance, and mother son dance because those songs weren't available in Carnival's music library.

We're getting married Nov 18th with our reception on the Carnval Breeze. We have the DJ and I turned in our reception form with a list of songs that we'd like to be played and there were only 6 they didn't have. Carnival said all I had to do was put those songs on an iPod and bring the aux cable and it'd be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my wedding is coming up, I recently sent Carnival my song list. We are bringing our own music, and apparently, we can just connect an old iPhone to the ship with cables (I'm also putting it on my android phone, and bringing an audio CD).

I was really unsure about how many songs, and worried about variables (didn't want to run out of music, but also didn't want too many songs). They haven't responded as I asked if I needed to shorten the list, or if any songs (since some are clean versions of quite explicit songs) would be unacceptable to Carnival.

It's been an event choosing songs for such a short ceremony/reception. To other brides, I'd recommend the DJ option, if you like the disco area.

• 2 months later...
Since my wedding is coming up, I recently sent Carnival my song list. We are bringing our own music, and apparently, we can just connect an old iPhone to the ship with cables (I'm also putting it on my android phone, and bringing an audio CD).

I was really unsure about how many songs, and worried about variables (didn't want to run out of music, but also didn't want too many songs). They haven't responded as I asked if I needed to shorten the list, or if any songs (since some are clean versions of quite explicit songs) would be unacceptable to Carnival.

It's been an event choosing songs for such a short ceremony/reception. To other brides, I'd recommend the DJ option, if you like the disco area.

Carnival told me to have about 20 songs for the ceremony but I don't think there is anything wrong with having more than 20 just to play it safe.

I am going this route as well for our hour reception. It has been pretty difficult to find songs to play. I don't think many of our guests will be dancing.. more so mingling, eating and drinking. We only have an hour...

I have some country slow songs on my list, especially the bride/groom dance. My fiance is fighting me on it thinking our first and only dance will be "awkward". Did anyone else find it "awkward"?

I also have 5 o'clock somewhere by Jimmy Buffet/Alan Jackson, Margaritaville by Buffet, Bob Marley, some oldies.. Our age group is going to fluctuate and I like the old stuff as well. I'd start putting the music on an ipod and listen to it. Some of the songs I thought I liked, I now hate. Just a thought.