Recife, Brazil to Olinda, Brazil

cbb

We would like to do a diy from port in Recife to Olinda but we're having problems locating a bus stop and #.

If we were staying at the beach it wouldn't be a problem but coming off the ship, the info is not clear.

Perhaps we should grab a cab instead? From my research, it seems that we shouldn't grab the cab at the port because the prices are highly inflated, but instead walk out of the port, if possible, and get one in the business district.

There has also been mention of a shuttle that takes passengers to the business district....true? This info is needed for Jan, 2016.

Help!!!????

We were a group that booked a tour with a van driver. He picked us up, drove us to Olinda, then we came back to Recife for a tour in town.

The guide was not the greatest, but from what I have heard many of them are not. I didn't have to take responsibility for this one since another member booked it. It wasn't horrible and it wasn't over-expensive, but the guide just didn't give enough info. My husband kept on asking him detailed questions in the hopes that the guide would get the message that he wasn't telling us enough!

We had hoped to visit the Synagogue in Recife but the guide wasn't even aware that it was closed on the day we were there ... This probably would not have been the highlight of the day, and it was in an area where we walked around and enjoyed the time. But still, you'd think the guide would check up on the Synagogue's opening hours when a visit there has been requested.

We paid R500 for a group up to 15 people. At the time we were there (Nov '13) the exchange rate was around 0.43 to the dollar whereas today it is 0.26.

I don't have the guides name although I'm sure I could get it for you if you wish. (Given my lack of a recommendation, I can understand if you don't want that info!) You might be better just googling for guides in Recife. It was my understanding (I could be wrong!) that many locals take visitors on tours without being registered guides.

It wasn't a bad day at all and it was not overpriced. The guide was just better at saying "we are here" than making explanations.

I'm not sure if anyone on Marina with us just picked up a cab ...

Mura

thanks Mura,

i think we're going to grab a cab at a shopping mall to take us to Olinda.

My research indicates there is a shuttle that will take us to this mall since the ship docks in a commercial port and walking through it is not allowed.

We'll just take the cab and hopefully, spend a nice day there since i found information that explains what we are seeing on our diy tour.

We also have a diy walking tour of Recife that we can do after Olinda.

thanks again.

That sounds like a plan. Given from what we saw in Olinda, you certainly don't need a whole day there. I think we had a couple of hours there, then came back to Recife.

Traffic was NOT wonderful!

Mura

Although I can't remember the exact price for 4 the cab we got at the port to take us to Olinda was very reasonable, and the driver even walked us through the main area and sights of Olinda to orientate us before he parked up to wait for us.