New to Oceania

PaulaJK

Help appreciated.

We have sailed Crystal, rssc & silverseas as well as other lines.

We're attracted to a March '06 itinerary whose timing fits our schedules.

-Any idea why the 3/16 sailing is so much less than the 3/1 sailing?i

-route is Manaus to Barbados. We feel that BC to Manaus would be important

to us, so has anyone arranged their own air to Manaus?

The emphasis of the ports is the Amazon area. Has anyone traveled there?

Comments appreciated.

We are considering a PH. What is the difference between PH 1, 2 & 3? If you've sailed in one, we'd love to hear your impressions along w. any other huge

contrasts w. the above lines.

Thank you

The only difference between the 3 classes of penthouse cabin is the proximity to midships with Pi's being more to the center than the others. Check out the 8 deck plan here:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=b2a3bc2b-d9cd-45b7-abac-2dc5fa2f3618&DeckUID=7724140b-5d03-4c10-9e57-a51e97c152c3&ShipConfigUID=3b169a9d-0d7c-45b3-8a60-054010d40b67

The cabin legend (color) is self expanatory. Rumor has it that the closer to the center of the ship, the less you'll feel any movement. Other than the location on deck 8, the cabins are identical.

We attempted to arrange our own air to Manaus for the '05 Manaus - Barbados cruise. We could only find one direct (non-stop) flight and that flew only one day a week. All other flights entailed several stops/changes of planes and many, many hours. We ended up on the Oceania flight in business class. A pleasant flight although it did leave quite late.

Prehaps the schedule is a bit more user friendly now.

Beatrice

"We ended up on the Oceania flight in business class."

How did you arrange that? How much more did it cost?

It was a charter flight that had been configured with Business Class. I don't remember what the cost was but it was within reason.

Given the dificulty in arranging flights to Manaus I would imagine that this years Manaus to Barbados will also be a charter.

Beatrice

Thanks for your replies.

Beatrice, do you mean BC seats? space? service?

Paula-

It was normal BC, seats, service and space. The plane was not from a charter outfit but from a regularlly scheduled line. I can not remember the name though. Varig???

Beatrice

We did the Amazon several years ago, on Pacific Princess, Manaus to Fort Lauderdale, and used Princess air, which was a charter from Miami.

Embarking passengers flew to Manaus, disembarking passengers took same plane back to Miami.

There were not many scheduled flights to Manaus then, and I am guessing that since it is so far off the beaten track, there are still not many direct scheduled flights.

Archived