Newby to NCL, Greetings!

teejaywalker

We (family of 3) have sailed on 6 cruises now (RoyCar, HollAmer(3) and Disney(2)). Thinking of booking the NCL Escape for Jan 30th for 7 day cruise.

Any chances of getting discounts/deals on this ship as it is new? I'd appreciate any tips as to getting a more affordable rate. We do require a balcony as we are spoiled folk:)

I've heard NCL is a discounter but haven't seen much of that in initial searches.

Thanks

By the way here's my take on the cruises we've taken. HAL: the demographic is simply too old! too many octogenarians*Disney= great but expensive and too many children (I know, I know, what did I expect)*RoyCarib= fine but nothing special.:)

I'm drawn to NCL as the free range dining (not locked into LATE seating) and a bit younger demo. Also the new ship looks cool and my 7 yr old boy thinks it looks awesome.

New ships are treated like high priced commodities in their early stages. The prices for them are usually elevated during their initial seasons.

Coupled with sailing during the peak season, you are probably not likely to find much in the way of discounts on that particular sailing (January 30th). You'll still get a good value with the promotional offers, but not much of discount on the fare.

Typically, better prices can be had in off season times like when school is in session, and between October and mid-December (excluding holiday weeks of course)

Prices haven't gone up too terribly much, but they have increased steadily since January. I doubt you would snag a deal on Escape anytime soon. However a certain site shows quite a bit of capacity available. I'm not sure when the 'masses' typically book though. I assume not nearly as early as most of the fanatics on CC :)

However a certain site shows quite a bit of capacity available.

If you are talking about the fish site, it only shows the percentage of categories still available (i.e. not sold out), it has nothing to do with actual cabins available or ship's capacity.

Edited by Demonyte

We are booked on the Escape for the January 23 cruise, and prices have only gone up since we booked in February. We're also taking the 3-day cruise in November and prices for that one have only increased. New ships seem to sell at higher prices, at least for the first couple years (I'm guessing; no formal research available).

If you're interested in that cruise, book it if the price is something you're happy with. If the price isn't to your liking, look at one of the other NCL ships. You may have better luck getting a less expensive rate or discounts or upgrades/upsells closer to sailing.

We've sailed other lines, but really like NCL. Hope you enjoy your cruise, whichever you pick!