Why is this?

artkoll

Why cant the 11 night eastbound cruise to Hawaii do the touch and go in Ensenada, Mexico like the 14 night Hawaii circle cruise do.
Very hard to decipher what you're asking. Is it the eastbound FROM Hawaii you're referring to, that debarks in Ensenada?

I'm also not too sure of your question. But to touch on the subject, the 14 night Hawaiian circle cruise is a brand new thing for RCCL, although other cruise lines have offered circle cruises from Hawaii for awhile. 2006 will be the first year RCCL is offering them, and there are only two scheduled...one in May 2006 and the other in Sept 2006. Both cruises are sold out at the moment. (And I'm really glad I booked early!)

the circle cruise the op is talking about touches base in ensenada for just one hour satisfying the jones act law, then continues on with the passengers to debark in san diego. the passengers are not subjected to that bus ride from ensenada back to the staes. and i agree artkoll. why don't all the hawaii cruises do that.

I'm just guessing here, but I think there could be several reasons. First, leaving from San Diego or LA would lengthen the cruise (not by much, but it may be enough to throw off the schedule). Second, there may be facilities issues; I don't know how many ships can dock in San Diego and LA. If the ship is scheduled for Hawaii ports on certain days, then they may need to leave the mainland on a day that San Diego or LA is not available. Third, cost of port fees may be a factor.

There are probably other reasons, and my thoughts may be completely off base, but that's what comes to mind.

beachchick

The funny thing is that Serenade of the Seas has to go back up north to San Diego later that day anyway. She has to pick up the new passengers leaving that day for the Panama Canal. I think they should do an hour in Ensanada and then go up to San Diego too. I would think it would be cheaper.

I don't know why they don't all do that, but I WISH THEY ALL WOULD!

We were on a Carnival cruise from Hawaii and they put us off in Ensenada, while we watched another ship "touch and go". They then bussed us to San Diego, but our bus driver got separated from the pack and then lost in down town Tijuana. Not a fun adventure.

It didn't ruin the cruise at all, but it is something I now know to check into if we ever do Hawaii again.

Shay

we are wondering the same thing. We leave for Hawaii this Saturday and sail back ont he Radiance on Wednesday. We dock in Ensenada on Saturday the 15th. From other reviews we have read, the San Diego airport isn't too far from the water and you can see that your ship is already in San Diego before you get there going through customs.... I'm not sure.... I have heard what we are about to do is not fun but we will not let it ruin our cruise! It will be awesome!!!

Why cant the 11 night eastbound cruise to Hawaii do the touch and go in Ensenada, Mexico like the 14 night Hawaii circle cruise do.

Because the 14 night cruise returns to the same U.S. port that it originally departed from. Thus it only has to make a stop in ANY foreign port.

If the cruise originates from one U.S. port and ends in a different U.S. port it must have a DISTANT foreign port in between. Mexico and/or Canada do not qualify as a distant foreign ports.

Therefore the one-way travel from Hawaii avoids the whole issue by just ending in a foreign country instead of a different U.S. port.

All of this only applies to foreign flagged ships. NCL gets arounds this issue in Hawaii by having a seperate brand (NCL America).

OK-- let me try to help.. the main reason the eastbound cruises disembark in Ensenada and sail empty to SAN is because of the SAN officials. Apparently they charge higher port charges and have insufficient facilities for RCI to disembark here.

It seems SAN's operating charges to the cruise lines are some of the most expensive, which is why most lines will not sail from here year round. RCI stopped bringing a ship into SAN this fall/winter like they had last year with the Legend due to this excessive cost.

The lines have tried working with the SAN Port Authority but apparently SAN doesn't care much about having a ship here year round or they'd do something about their pricing.

As for the 15 night circle Hawaii cruises from LA... RCI has put a hold on selling any additional cabins although there are over 1000 cabins left to sell.

This hold will not be lifted until they finish the required permits for sailing this itinerary etc. Once the paperwork is complete they will reopen these dates , so if you want to book just keep an eye on them.

Archived