Carnival Continues To Cutback

Cruiseathoning

I have 5 cruises booked on Carnival between now and November of 2016, and I have not seen any indication that prices are going up any more than would be reasonable based on the increases in the commodities that they buy for use on the ships or the booking rates for the individual cruises. And that is very little. I constantly check for price reductions since I have booked every one of these cruises as Early Saver. While I have not received any drops to date, the biggest difference I have seen between my costs and the current pricing is $20.00 for the entire cruise, not per day. On three of my cruises, all of the balcony cabins at the level I have booked are sold out, so we are probably seeing the normal price creep that occurs as the ships fill up. Just like you see on the airlines as the seats fill up. Oh, by the way, 4 of the cruises are out of Miami and the 5th is out of Fort Lauderdale. That's in Florida!

I just now looked at an identical itinerary to the one I would have been sailing on earlier this month (cancelled), only I looked at September 2016. It isn't the same ship - an older one in fact - and the price is $138 higher than I paid for the same cruise - balcony stateroom - back in March of this year. Whether or not the $138 increase, per person, is reasonable based upon forecasted increased in the price of commodities is up for debate. BTW, It's also from the same port, Port Canaveral. I believe that is in Florida, but I can't be sure, since my geography is obviously lacking.

We can compare prices for individual cruises all day. It doesn't prove anything for either of us. I still believe prices, overall, are rising, while cutbacks are also being made. If you want to go to the trouble of comparing say, 100 identical cruises, from the first half of this year, to next year, be my guest. I'm not up to it. :)

We spent WAY more for 4 days at Disney with my family of 4 than our last cruise. And we can drive to Orlando and we stayed at my sister's house for some of the time (I personally think Disney should be EMBARRASSED, but that is off topic). And did I mention heat, lines, and overpriced bad food? And if you get me on started on my one and only Disney cruise, we'll be here all night.

In the spirit of comparing apples to apples I am presenting my options for spring break next year. We cruise with a balcony at a minimum and at least 7 day cruises so consider that. So for more than $1500 than Carnival, I can do that exact same itinerary on RCCL or $1300 on NCL. On boats with no waterslides (I have a 9 and 5 yo, waterslides not optional).

Even going on the highest rated ship in the industry for families (Disney Fasntasy) Carnival still has the best bang for our buck. What exactly will I get from RCCL and NCL for $1500? The opportunity to eat the best food at restaurants I have to pay extra for??? Our kids are in the bed by 1030 so we aren't at the shows or night clubs. The food may have been SLIGHTLY BETTER ON Disney. For 3 times the price?? NO!

I always look at other lines and am leaning toward NCL for our next cruise but Carnival has a great product and I will be back.

We can afford other lines, but I want to get the best value for my money.

And really folks, American Table is just a fancier display of most of the old menu items, some things went away, new things came. I love to cook and do not eat at chain restaurants and I have never gone hungry on any cruise I have been on. Someone else does the cooking and cleaning up and someone is baby sitting my kids. 5 stars in my book!

I just now looked at an identical itinerary to the one I would have been sailing on earlier this month (cancelled), only I looked at September 2016. It isn't the same ship - an older one in fact - and the price is $138 higher than I paid for the same cruise - balcony stateroom - back in March of this year. Whether or not the $138 increase, per person, is reasonable based upon forecasted increased in the price of commodities is up for debate. BTW, It's also from the same port, Port Canaveral. I believe that is in Florida, but I can't be sure, since my geography is obviously lacking.

We can compare prices for individual cruises all day. It doesn't prove anything for either of us. I still believe prices, overall, are rising, while cutbacks are also being made. If you want to go to the trouble of comparing say, 100 identical cruises, from the first half of this year, to next year, be my guest. I'm not up to it. :)

The thing that confuses me about this kind of comment (which I see all over the boards here so this is not entirely directed at you) is why everyone thinks prices should be going down? Sure, there are some cutbacks and oil prices are down (which seem to be the only two arguments I ever see about why prices should be going down) but Carnival doesn't exist in a vacuum. Those are not the only factors that determine prices. Prices are rising in general, so logic tells us that if cruise prices are to stay the same or close to the same, there needs to be some give in other areas.

Have some of you people not noticed that the cost of pretty much everything in the world costs more than it used to? My God you can no longer get a pound of hamburger for $1.99. I bought some today and it was $4.99 a pound. I'm sure my parents are rolling over in their graves at the thought of that. Food costs more, dishes cost more, sheets and towels cost more, cleaning products cost more, uniforms cost more, repairs cost more, beer and liquor costs more, soft drinks cost more, furniture costs more, etc. etc. etc. How in the hell is a business that uses all of the above items supposed to reduce the cost of their product if EVERYTHING costs more?

I am a business owner. I get it. Nothing is the way it used to be.

and does so transparently and respectfully in an effort to keep pricing competitive, and there are 7 dayers out of Galveston on the Magical Magic for $379 still.

Compare this to Royal who cuts back AND raises pricing and according to my research, is dropping the ball on customer service.

Sorry about losing lobster on shorter cruises, but if scallops and risotto and orange duck do not qualify as fine dining, perhaps the lobster is just a convenient target, and not a legit concern.

Now back to that price point-that is a 7 day cruise for the cost of a mid-range hotel for one night in Manhattan. Still concerned about lobster, especially in light of high end offerings they are still trying to provide?

In an era where three regular season baseball tickets can cost more than half of the double occupancy of a cruise, Carnival still provides the middle class an opportunity to do something truly awesome. Don't like it? Go to Disney World. But cash out your 401k first.

I wish Carnival was not in this position, but I appreciate the effort to be upfront and keep pricing budget friendly, which they are. Royal is not. The Navigator is going for a lot more from a year ago, per Mr. Fain's warning. But unlike Carnival you are getting less and paying more.

What Carnival is doing and providing is nothing short of a logistical miracle, and a tribute to the commitment of providing passenger happiness.

When they stop guaranteeing your vacation, then worry. But if you can't have fun on a (smoke-free) Carnival ship, you probably just are not the fun kind.

According to my research Carnival has raised their price by $10 since your post as the lowest fare is now $389 and Royal starts at $429 on the Liberty so not quite gap you insinuated. I enjoy both lines as well as others and have never understood these kind of rants to that seem to only serve the purpose of making the poster feel better about their choice not to cruise on other lines.

Have some of you people not noticed that the cost of pretty much everything in the world costs more than it used to? My God you can no longer get a pound of hamburger for $1.99. I bought some today and it was $4.99 a pound. I'm sure my parents are rolling over in their graves at the thought of that. Food costs more, dishes cost more, sheets and towels cost more, cleaning products cost more, uniforms cost more, repairs cost more, beer and liquor costs more, soft drinks cost more, furniture costs more, etc. etc. etc. How in the hell is a business that uses all of the above items supposed to reduce the cost of their product if EVERYTHING costs more?

I am a business owner. I get it. Nothing is the way it used to be.

Yes! This is EXACTLY what I keep thinking when I read some of the comments about prices going up or not going down despite cutbacks.

The thing that confuses me about this kind of comment (which I see all over the boards here so this is not entirely directed at you) is why everyone thinks prices should be going down? Sure, there are some cutbacks and oil prices are down (which seem to be the only two arguments I ever see about why prices should be going down) but Carnival doesn't exist in a vacuum. Those are not the only factors that determine prices. Prices are rising in general, so logic tells us that if cruise prices are to stay the same or close to the same, there needs to be some give in other areas.

Excuse me if this sounds snarky. I honestly don't mean it that way, but who said anything about wanting prices to go down? :confused:Sure it would be nice, but that ain't happening. I'd be thrilled if they had just stayed where they were a few months ago for another year or so, especially considering cutbacks have been/continue to be implemented.

Edited by Towel Critter

Supply and demand. Thats what its all based on. I've been looking at a particular condo on the beach for a week. The longer I have waited to book it the more it went up. Its now $120. more for the same week I've been looking at for a month now. Now what do you think made the price go up? Maybe taxes went up, maybe they had to buy new furniture or appliances or who knows whatever. OR maybe the condo complex is booking up that week. They have a right to charge what ever they want for what ever reason they want. I equate the condo owner to Carnival Cruise Line. Charge what the market will bear.

Personally I would rather cruise in a suite for a week and have all my meals prepared for me and someone make up my room twice a day and have talented people entertain me every night but my husband wants a do nothing beach vacation. We will either cook all our own meals or eat out, regardless we will be paying for the food. I'll have to tidy up the place, do dishes and a few loads of towels during the week. That sounds like fun. We will more than likely have to get in the car and drive for some sort of entertainment so that means someone won't have but one drink that night. I could go on but I won't. You get the idea of my comparison of a weeks condo rental and a week on a cruise ship.

Cruise ship is by far the best bargain. My hubby won out this time but I don't think it will happen again when I show him how much it ends up costing us.

I think we all get basic economics and inflation, so I'm not sure the refresher courses and reminders that everything is higher now is really necessary. What gets me is people wanting to pat companies on the back for selling products inferior to past products, while charging more for them. Maybe it's a necessity for staying in business. I don't know that it's not. I don't know that it is. I just know that saying, "oh well," and even congratulating them for it makes no sense from a consumer standpoint.

Excuse me if this sounds snarky. I honestly don't mean it that way, but who said anything about wanting prices to go down? :confused:Sure it would be nice, but that ain't happening. I'd be thrilled if they had just stayed where they were a few months ago for another year or so, especially considering cutbacks have been/continue to be implemented.

Complaining that prices are going up despite cutbacks implies that the price should be going down because of cutbacks. As I said, it wasn't specifically directed at you but at the overall topic on here, which often talks about cutbacks and price hikes in one breath, along with complaints about it not going down.

But regardless, my point stands, since it still applies to the scenario you described. you want prices to stay the same. I said "prices are rising in general, so logic tells us that if cruise prices are to stay the same or close to the same, their needs to be some give in other areas."

Complaining that prices are going up despite cutbacks implies that the price should be going down because of cutbacks. "

I respectfully disagree that it implies that, at least not in my mind. I've complained that they are doing both, but that's my lesser gripe. My major gripe is people saying "yes, thank you. May I have another.":)

I think we all get basic economics and inflation, so I'm not sure the refresher courses and reminders that everything is higher now is really necessary. What gets me is people wanting to pat companies on the back for selling products inferior to past products, while charging more for them. Maybe it's a necessity for staying in business. I don't know that it's not. I don't know that it is. I just know that saying, "oh well," and even congratulating them for it makes no sense from a consumer standpoint.

Just because there is an understanding and acceptance of how it works, doesn't mean anyone is patting them on the back. OP may have congratulated them for it, but the rest of us did not. This is something I see a lot on here too. Those who don't want to complain about the cutbacks or cost are content to pay what we are paying are said to be "congratulating" Carnival, when it's really more just accepting that this is how it is and choosing not to dwell on something that is not going to change and is based on simple economics.

For example, you described it as "giving your blessing" to Carnival to raise prices. First, nobody wants prices to go up, so to frame it that way is a bit strange. But aside from that, in reality you actually are giving your blessing to them by purchasing their product when the prices are higher than you want them to be. That exchange of money for services is saying "Carnival, you raised your prices and I'm ok with that." That is exactly why the prices do as they do. To then complain about it in the same breath seems...well, silly. Of course it would be nice if prices stayed the same. Nobody disagrees with that.

I respectfully disagree that it implies that, at least not in my mind. I've complained that they are doing both, but that's my lesser gripe. My major gripe is people saying "yes, thank you. May I have another.":)

But that is what you do every time you pay for another cruise. :)

Or have you stopped traveling on Carnival? If you have and I missed that, I apologize for misunderstanding.

Just because there is an understanding and acceptance of how it works, doesn't mean anyone is patting them on the back. OP may have congratulated them for it, but the rest of us did not. This is something I see a lot on here too. Those who don't want to complain about the cutbacks or cost are content to pay what we are paying are said to be "congratulating" Carnival, when it's really more just accepting that this is how it is and choosing not to dwell on something that is not going to change and is based on simple economics.

For example, you described it as "giving your blessing" to Carnival to raise prices. First, nobody wants prices to go up, so to frame it that way is a bit strange. But aside from that, in reality you actually are giving your blessing to them by purchasing their product when the prices are higher than you want them to be. That exchange of money for services is saying "Carnival, you raised your prices and I'm ok with that." That is exactly why the prices do as they do. To then complain about it in the same breath seems...well, silly. Of course it would be nice if prices stayed the same. Nobody disagrees with that.

Didn't mean for that to be such a rant. Typing on my iPad and got distracted by the kid and didn't pay attention to how long it was.

Ummm, im not one to crash a thread but people if you think Carnival is being nice to keep prices low, Umm I think you have it wrong. Like another poster said its all about supply and demand, they will charge what the market will bear.

Carnival has the complete opposite approach of RCCL, Carnival is building their US business by putting ships on every corner of the US and saturating the market. They can only charge so much because they are cannibalizing their own brand, but thats also what they are intending to do. They want the US market.

RCCL on the other hand spreads their ships out to limit capacity in each market it operates, thus can charge more because there is more demand due to less capacity. And like Carnival they have their loyal customers.

Can you imaging what prices for RCCL would be if they left 90% of their ships in the US like Carnival does? They would be as cheap if not cheaper, but that would also cut into Carnivals prices as well.

This is no way a bashing Carnival, I'm sure I will be sailing them soon because as a lot of you are saying they are pricing me out of their market as well.

Supply and Demand, if Carnival could charge what RCCL and NCL charge they would, thats why some cruises on Carnival are more expensive. They are in business to make money for shareholders, they will make as much as they can.

...and does so transparently and respectfully in an effort to keep pricing competitive,

Compare this to Royal who cuts back AND raises pricing and according to my research, is dropping the ball on customer service.

So Carnival makes ONE announcement that they are removing lobster tails from shorter cruises and that makes them more transparent and respectful than other cruise lines? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. That's about the only cutback that they've been upfront about since they butchered the past guest program and alienated a bunch of past guests, including me, enticing us to try other cruise lines. Personally, it's taken me 5 years to sail on Carnival again, but a lot of people are not looking back because they still feel that the Carnival dropped the ball so bad that they are not worth the $289pp that I'm personally paying for my Eastern Caribbean Carnival cruise next summer.

People speak with their wallets. If Royal is charging more but still filling up their ships, then they must be offering a product that people are still willing to pay extra for. I understand that they may be pricing themselves out of a lot of people's wallet (probably the OP included, and thus the rant about how awesome and honest Carnival is and how much Royal sucks), but they don't target the budget cruiser, Carnival does. If someone else finds value on the product that Royal still offers and they can afford it, good for them. What's dishonest about that?

Disney should be embarrassed , they price gouge and charge a rate that bankrupt people

It's revolting

No one is forced to go there. But when you do it usually exceeds expectations.

Compare that with your local theme park. Mine charges $70, plus $25 to park, but there are ways to get discounts.

and does so transparently and respectfully in an effort to keep pricing competitive, and there are 7 dayers out of Galveston on the Magical Magic for $379 still.

Sorry about losing lobster on shorter cruises, but if scallops and risotto and orange duck do not qualify as fine dining, perhaps the lobster is just a convenient target, and not a legit concern.

Now back to that price point-that is a 7 day cruise for the cost of a mid-range hotel for one night in Manhattan. Still concerned about lobster, especially in light of high end offerings they are still trying to provide?

In an era where three regular season baseball tickets can cost more than half of the double occupancy of a cruise, Carnival still provides the middle class an opportunity to do something truly awesome. Don't like it? Go to Disney World. But cash out your 401k first.

I wish Carnival was not in this position, but I appreciate the effort to be upfront and keep pricing budget friendly, which they are. Royal is not. The Navigator is going for a lot more from a year ago, per Mr. Fain's warning. But unlike Carnival you are getting less and paying more.

What Carnival is doing and providing is nothing short of a logistical miracle, and a tribute to the commitment of providing passenger happiness.

When they stop guaranteeing your vacation, then worry. But if you can't have fun on a (smoke-free) Carnival ship, you probably just are not the fun kind.

Yes I agree that RCCL is cutting back. They removed the chocolates and midnight buffet but in it' place they built some of the most "entertainment" complexes on the ocean that consistently amazes everyone that steps foot on board. Of course that's not enough. They created another whole class of ship that makes Carnival look like it's sailing something from the 18th century in technology.

Let's not forget to look at the cut-backs you don't see. If the front of the house has cut-backs, what do you think is happening behind the closed doors? More cut backs and eventually those old rust buckets will fail.

The price you pay, may be low, but unless you are completely content with listening to DJ's all day, passenger entertainment instead of professionals, and gambling, than the extra $100 - $300 is worth it to find another cruise line.

Your gripe is about what other people do? Frankly it is none of your business what other people do. Just like it is none of our business what you do. If you want to stop cruising because you don't like the prices, then do that. But do not expect that other people will follow your lead when you continually say that your opinion is correct and theirs is not but don't want them to bother you by asking you to prove it. You cannot prove any point you made by just restating the premise that others are wrong and you are right. Using your logic, we would all have to stop doing anything that costs more than it did last year or the year before. Now, how logical is that? Never mind, I can already see you typing "I respectfully disagree that it implies that, at least not in my mind. But I don't have time to show you facts to prove my point. My major gripe is people saying "yes, thank you. May I have another."

Our last two cruises were on RCI, with mostly everything prior on Carnival, so we don't have a long RCI history to compare "now" versus "then". However, I've spent a lot of time on the RCI board the last couple of years and read posts of relatively long time RCI cruisers expressing much disappointment in the rising prices and the declining product. For us, the short story is we've already determined that after two tries, we won't be sailing RCI again and will probably be sticking with Carnival.

Our most recent cruise was Celebrity. We've done 3 with them, a 12, 15, and 8 day cruises and the last was a total shock. They are not the same cruise line they were. DW always wanted me to book them but now she thinks Carnival is better. IMO Carnival is still the best value at sea.

I notice a new cutback every time I sail at this point. Sometimes it's very subtle like when in the casino you used to receive cash back on your card incrementally...now it stops after you reach the "Drinks on Us" benchmark; sometimes it truly frustrating like waiting all evening for something billed as a "Mexican Buffet" that used to be an assortment of Mexican foods and desserts, now only chips and salsa. We're sailing NCL in April, which will be our first departure from Carnival in awhile. We're sailing 10 nights in a mini-suite including the drink package for $3,500. That's probably about on par with Carnival prices, we just usually sail free thru the casino, so for us to venture out there has to be a motivation. For us it's the cutbacks. We'll see if after that free beats new experiences.