Booking Next Cruise While on a Cruise

kontraxed

In May 2015, while on the Navigator of the Seas, I booked my next cruise for the Oasis in March 2017. The only real benefit was being able to book the cruise with "only a $100" deposit. Well, a few months go by and I figured I would start making my small monthly payments. I've got 18 months to go. I go to make a $100 online payment and it is rejected. The web page said I had to make a minimum payment of $500. Huh? So, I called Royal Caribbean and was told their system requires a minimum of $500 for the initial deposit. After that, I can pay what I want. The guy did offer to accept the payment over the phone but I would have to continue to do that until I made the additional $500 payment in total. While I am not "outraged" I do feel that this "only a $100 deposit" is rather misleading. So, I guess this was my first and last time booking on the ship because this was absolutely nothing special.

The web site has never been properly programmed to accept less than full deposit. Until the amount paid exceeds the full deposit, the website won't take anything less.

However, if you call Royal directly or use a travel agent, you can pay any amount you like.

I don't really feel that Royal was misleading in this case because you can still pay whatever you like, you just can't do it on the website.

Edited by clarea

In May 2015, while on the Navigator of the Seas, I booked my next cruise for the Oasis in March 2017. The only real benefit was being able to book the cruise with "only a $100" deposit.

Did you not receive onboard credit? I think that is a pretty significant benefit of booking onboard.

In May 2015, while on the Navigator of the Seas, I booked my next cruise for the Oasis in March 2017. The only real benefit was being able to book the cruise with "only a $100" deposit. Well, a few months go by and I figured I would start making my small monthly payments. I've got 18 months to go. I go to make a $100 online payment and it is rejected. The web page said I had to make a minimum payment of $500. Huh? So, I called Royal Caribbean and was told their system requires a minimum of $500 for the initial deposit. After that, I can pay what I want. The guy did offer to accept the payment over the phone but I would have to continue to do that until I made the additional $500 payment in total. While I am not "outraged" I do feel that this "only a $100 deposit" is rather misleading. So, I guess this was my first and last time booking on the ship because this was absolutely nothing special.

I had that happen to me as well. I went ahead an paid the remaining deposit online. I worked okay for us. Paid the cruise off faster than I anticipated. :-)