Carnival World MC and travel insurance

imaboo

My Carnival card was upgraded a while back to a World Mastercard. One of the benefits is "extensive" (quotes intentional) travel insurance. Being the skeptical sort, I'm curious if anyone has actually had to make use of this service and what your experience was.

Edited by imaboo

My Carnival card was upgraded a while back to a World Mastercard. One of the benefits is "extensive" (quotes intentional) travel insurance. Being the skeptical sort, I'm curious if anyone has actually had to make use of this service and what your experience was.

What are the coverage amounts?

I did not see any mention of evacuation insurance. As that is what I am most concerned about because it would be a huge expense, I will continue to purchase a private policy.

We also purchase through a third party for this reason. Our plan offers $1,000,000 medevac to a hospital of our choice, since our health insurance does not cover that at all.

I have World MasterCard and the travel insurance benefits are pretty minimal and do not include medical and Evac coverage. I believe they cover basic trip cancellation and baggage delay. You can look-up under World MasterCard Benefits. You DO have to book the Travel with the World MasterCard card.

Having said that, in lieu of purchasing Trip Insurance we use the World MasterCard for adequate Cancellation and Baggage coverage and use our BCBS Out-of-Country coverage for Medical (includes Evac).

Ken

I have World MasterCard and the travel insurance benefits are pretty minimal and do not include medical and Evac coverage. I believe they cover basic trip cancellation and baggage delay. You can look-up under World MasterCard Benefits. You DO have to book the Travel with the World MasterCard card.

Having said that, in lieu of purchasing Trip Insurance we use the World MasterCard for adequate Cancellation and Baggage coverage and use our BCBS Out-of-Country coverage for Medical (includes Evac).

Ken

Unfortunately, for us older folks, Medicare does not cover us out of the country. Our Medigap policy covers after a $250 deductible and then pays 80% and we'd have to pay 20% which could be a huge amount if we had to be medivaced.

I would call the credit card company and ask for a link to the specific policy language.

Like you, I also use the free travel insurance that comes w/ my credit card. Our health insurance covers us anywhere in the world including medivac; otherwise I'd purchase actual trip insurance.

Two things to keep in mind ... you must: 1) still have that credit card active when you take the trip, and 2) use that credit card to pay for the entire trip, meaning both the down payment as well as the final payment of your cruise. If you don't, the trip insurance may not be valid.

If you have access online to your Barclay's card you can download the PDF with all of the benefits associated with the card. I just did it 2 days ago. It has some cancellation, baggage and interruption benefits but I didn't see any evac or medical coverage included. So I'll still continue to purchase 3rd party insurance for cruises.