Transportation to Galveston

travelnteach64

I'm hoping there are some seasoned travelers who can help me out. We are trying to find an economical way to get from Houston to Galveston. So far we are not finding good options like we did from Orlando to Port Canaveral. It seems like the options are really pricey.

We are thinking of sailing on the Liberty in March, out of Galveston. But we are trying to make this a very economical vacation (pre wedding) so we can at least go somewhere over spring break. I teach, so we don't have tons of flexibility.

Good morning,

There are several threads regarding this information. But, I will tell you that in August, we used Galveston Express Shuttle and had a great experience. We have booked them again for December.

$75 round trip for a couple. They picked us up at Houston Hobby, took us to San Luis Resort along Seawall, picked us up from the cruise terminal, and took us back to Houston Hobby.

I know they offer senior and youth rates, as well.

Stacey

I'll be tying Galveston Express next time. The prices are reasonable for the distances, and most people seem to report decent experiences.

Be aware that Hobby is much closer to Galveston than IAH (Bush), and transfers there are faster and cheaper.

We used Galveston Express to get to Galveston last week and it was great. I have no complaints at all and the price was great.

Last time we Uber'd from Hobby to Galveston and it was great! $48 for the 2 of us (could have fit one or two more!). No sharing a van or anything! We are sailing again out of Galveston in Nov, but flying into IAH this time instead. Planning on Ubering there and possibly splitting an Uber or UberXL with another couple on the way back to IAH after the cruise! Cheapest, easiest and most convienient way to go, IMHO :-D

Last time we Uber'd from Hobby to Galveston and it was great! $48 for the 2 of us (could have fit one or two more!). No sharing a van or anything! We are sailing again out of Galveston in Nov, but flying into IAH this time instead. Planning on Ubering there and possibly splitting an Uber or UberXL with another couple on the way back to IAH after the cruise! Cheapest, easiest and most convienient way to go, IMHO :-D

Do municipalities need to approve Uber in TX? If so, has Galveston approved them? If not, the Galveston post cruise pick up might be a problem. Just a thought.

Do municipalities need to approve Uber in TX? If so, has Galveston approved them? If not, the Galveston post cruise pick up might be a problem. Just a thought.

I joined an online group similar to CC for Uber - drivers are NOT permitted at the pier and are being "harassed" (Uber driver word, not mine) and fined heavily on the spot.

According to the bulletin board Uber drivers won't touch Galveston anymore.

I was picked up by Uber at the port of Galveston earlier this year without issue. I will ask my Uber driver from IAH to Galveston if anything has changed, then make necessary adjustments. I am sure worst case is walking off of pier property and requesting from a hotel or Starbucks.

Wont touch it as in wont pick up from the airport and drive to the hotel or simply won't pick up at the port itself?

The port - sorry I wasn't clear - apparently they are being pulled over immediately upon touching the pier area and being fined heavily.

Uber people dot net has more information - search Galveston -

• 2 months later...

The information here is partially true. There are plenty of drivers who pickup in Galveston every week. As a customer we should have a right to choose our mode of transportation as we always use Uber for IAH to Galveston or Hobby to Galveston.

Uber is under negotiations with Galveston however you may find many drivers who will pick you up at a more discreet location.