Anyone ever had a suprise upgrade at pier?

cs

I asked that my TA call the upsell desk. At first they told her that our cruise was not listed yet for upsell. She called back a couple of days later and was told the person handling it was no longer there and that a supervisor would call her back later. The next day our TA called us back with a offer of $300 per person to go from a Cat M (We had been upgraded to Cat II) to a Cat BB. This will be our first balcony and will put us at spending $1450 for this cruise on the Sun.

Dave

I asked that my TA call the upsell desk. At first they told her that our cruise was not listed yet for upsell. She called back a couple of days later and was told the person handling it was no longer there and that a supervisor would call her back later. The next day our TA called us back with a offer of $300 per person to go from a Cat M (We had been upgraded to Cat II) to a Cat BB. This will be our first balcony and will put us at spending $1450 for this cruise on the Sun.

Dave

Great News. Thanks jetskier! I'll probably press my TA a little more when it comes closer to sail date.

Just thought I'd let you know that I held out and the upsell fairy at NCL was VERY nice and lowered the price significantly so that we are now in the AA. There is hope for us all!:D :D Thought I'd be a good PR person for them, since they have taken such a hit in that department lately.

Considering that they give the AA treats, soda and bottles of water everyday, (so we now wont have to buy the soda cards), it was not as painful as I thought.:)

Karen

karen2cruz,

Congratulations on your upsell.

I think most of the people who were down on you, didn't realize that an AA on the Dream isn't like and AA on the Star, Jewel, Dawn or Spirit. They go for between $7,000-9,000. The Dream AA is alot cheaper.

We got an upsell on the Dawn in Sept for 50% off brochure price and jumped on it. It was like paying only one fare.

You're going to really enjoy how they treat Owner's Suite passengers. There really is a difference.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Cruiser12,

You said ask. When you arrived at the pier, did you already know which cabin you had been assigned? When you checked in you had a different cabin from your assigned one? Did you have to ask for the upgrade? Was the upgrade from inside to inside, outside to outside, balcony to better balcony or even better? Was it a substantial upgrade over your booked cabin? And was it on NCL?

What cabin category did you booked first?

I think people are wondering if they book a low-priced cabin will they hit the jackpot in an surprise upgrade at the pier.

I don't think the "Upgrade Fairy" comes around that often!

Happy Upgrading,

Monty

When we arrived at the pier and on line to check in, they asked us our name and cabin number. That's when I found out we got the up-grade. We had an inside cabin on deck four and was up-graded to an ocean view deck seven. The last time this happened, I got a phone call two days before sailing from my agent) we went from a obstructed view, to a suite. Yes it was NCL. Does this happen often I don't know.

I seem to realise what an up sell is,:confused: but how do people in the UK go about trying for one, we sail POA over Christmas and Christmas day is my wife's birthday ( I won't say how old as I don't want to have any broken bones over the holiday season) and it would be nice to be able to upgrade from an obstructed view cabin.

My TA got a call this morning offering an upsell for the Garden Villa on our sailing on the Jewel. I am not sure if this is a good offer or not. Given the formula that shoreguy posted I think that I could have been offered better.

They offered it to me for an additional $3000. above what we paid for an A3 Penthouse suite. Using the formula it should be only about $2000.00.

The base price that NCL quoted my TA is nearly $1000.00 more than the base that is posted as the price on the website. Could it be that the commission to my TA is in the NCL asking price and not on the website price?

I had my TA tell NCL that we would wait for awhile to see if the price changed? Anyone had this happen before? Have I cut myself off from having any more negociation with NCL over the Garden Villa?

My first time at this upsell stuff. Help?

The cruise is almost entirely sold with the exception of some iniside cabins and the two Garden Villas.

Marilyn

You probably didn't cut yourself off.

I'm still waiting for an upsell for our Nov. cruise. We are booked in an AB and want to upsell to an AA. The price is still high. We gave them our offer and no one has booked the suite yet. If it's meant to be.....it will happen.

Jane

I'm an upsell SUCKER! The two times I've been offered an upsell, I just snatched it up. Of course, I've felt both times that the cruise fare I was already paying was a steal, so the upsell price seemed "reasonable" based on what we'd be getting for the money. I keep reading where people are saying no, or waiting until the price is right. :rolleyes: I think NCL sees me coming..... :eek:

Amy, I am with you. I received and accepted an upsell offer to go from a BG cabin to an AD for $350/person on the Pride of AMerica. I thought it was pretty good with the fare I initially received. This will be my first experience in a suite. Looking forward to the amenities.:D

I was offered an upgrade last week for my cruise, it was withdrawn by NCL due to their rule that solo cruisers do not qualify for upgrades and they have given me a cabin account credit. This was fine by me as I was quite satisfied with my cabin allocation. However my TA has told me that I might be surprised when I get to the pier at Valparaiso. I shall not build up any hopes as, like I said, I am quite happy with my cabin...infact more than happy that I am even going on a ship over Christmas/New Year.

Information regarding solo cruisers is exactly what I'm looking for. Stupid rule since we pay for two people. Thanks for posting, Goldryder.

I've been wondering about my chances of any extras (comped upgrades, upsells, etc.) as a solo traveler. Looks like I'm SOL, but I'll still hope... with fingers crossed. Even though I paid the double occupancy rate, I think the cruise lines would rather make two people happy rather than just one.

Well, I know the cabin I'm assigned is mid-ship and on a lower deck, which may be best for a first-timer. (sigh)

Got a call yesterday from NCL Upsell desk (we booked directly thru NCL, not thru a TA). Offer was to upsell from GG (4th floor, outside porthole) to BC (8th Floor, balcony) for $125 per person. There are three cabins of us, so we had to debate for a bit since we wanted to all take it or not together. We decided to do it, since some of us have never had a balcony before. We don't have all three cabins in a row like we did with our original cabins, but two of them are still side-by-side with the third only a couple of doors down. We tried to barter for $100 per person, since there were three cabins/6 people, but was told that $125 was the best offer they could give us. This is 10 days prior to sailing and the very nice NCL lady I spoke with told me that all the inside cabins are booked for this sailing as of today (10/14). She also said that, starting today, they will be contacting some inside cabin folks to upsell them to outside or balcony. The three of us got contacted either by e-mail and/or by phone. So, if you are on the 10/23 Sun sailing with an inside cabin you might be getting a call today to upsell, so be prepared with your budget in mind.

Archived