Any recent Epic Gluten free experiences

lachelli

Hello

I am just wondering if any body has any recent Gluten Free experiences onboard the Epic that they would like to share. I am due to sail NCL for the gist time this November and I have no idea how they handle gluten free meal requests for breakfasts, lunches and dinner. Do I need to inform them of my requests before hand and so on

I hope someone can help and advise

Thanks

Lachelli

This might seem rude, but there are multiple threads on this subject. Use the search button at the top of this page.

No offence taken, the search function is normally my first port of call, but when I searched the results where all very dated, we all know how much NCL has changed over the last number of months and years, hence why I was looking for some recent experiences

Lachelli

No offence taken, the search function is normally my first port of call, but when I searched the results where all very dated, we all know how much NCL has changed over the last number of months and years, hence why I was looking for some recent experiences

Lachelli

I too am Gluten Free and was told to contact the Executive Sous Chef as soon as I board. I am sailing on The Getaway but I am sure it is the same on each ship. I would have to preplan my meals with him, which is kind of nice because then I can request Creme Brulee every night for dessert! They also will have gluten free breads and buns for you at lunch/dinner if you choose to have a burger or something of the sort. Hope this helps. I will be posting my experience when I return, but I know we are cruising the same month - so that doesn't help you.

Generally, staff are coeliac aware.

Each dining venue *DOES* have gluten free bread and a dedicated gluten free toaster. If someone claims not to know about it, ask for a different server - we all know how important it is to get this right.

There is a flourless gluten free chocolate cake. That isn't in every restaurant, but just ask and it will be brought to you (I let them know at the start of my meal, so it has time to be located!). It's very nice!

In the buffet there is an area with a dedicated gluten free toaster, where they warm up some frozen waffles for breakfast, and do your toast, etc. The bufet also has GF pizza (it'll take about ten minutes) which, while done in the same oven, is done in a separate pan, so there is no cross contamination risk. You will need to come back to the counter to collect it. They will not cut it up as they do the normal pizza (thank god! Been got that way before...!)

The "special order maitre d'" is the guy to speak to as soon as you get to the ship. Just ask the front desk of any restaurant to phone him to come speak to you. He will tell you what is possible.

O'sheehans does GF, but not on the menu! Just a salad - speak to the supervisor and he will have the kitchen adapt. For example, they do a lovely grilled chicken sandwich on GF bread on request :)

Cagney's - fries are not GF, but can be made GF, but need 24 hours notice - they will set up a dedicated frier for you!

As for pre-ordering. They like you to do this - but really, who the hell wants to preorder their food *every* day. I'm happy to do it for special things like Cagney's, but at the MDR every day? I want to be, erm, freestyle! That said, it will limit your choice - but there are always options. If you want more or less anything on the menu, then order a day in advance, and you will get it.

As for lunches - I suggest Taste. The buffet is hectic and there is more risk of cross contamination - I'd just have a relaxing lunch in Taste, and let your waiter worry about sorting GF behind the scenes.

You are able to have any restaurant's menu 24 hours in advance -and the main dining room carries menus for ALL restaurants for the next day, so place your order there.

Never be afraid to ask for the special order maitre d' - he will appear and sort things if there's a confusion :)

Edited by fifescotland

Hi, my 11 year old son has Celiac Disease that was diagnosed this past January. This was our first family vacation since his diagnosis. I was very nervous while planning this vacation. I first called the NCL Access Desk and had paperwork emailed to me. I filled out the paperwork and faxed it over. The importance of filling out the paperwork is that they have lead time to order enough gluten free food. I called to make sure they received the paperwork and followed up with another call two weeks prior to sailing to remind them. When we first boarded the ship I went right to the main dining room to meet with an officer. I explained our situation and was told it was not a problem at all. I would need to plan my meals ahead of time order the night before and they would deliver the meal to any restaurant including the buffet area. They took my room number and order on a pad each evening. All I had to do was mention my room number when entering a dining area. We did have to wait a few minutes extra for food maybe 20 or so since it was prepared fresh, but it was worth the wait knowing that I would have gluten free meals for my son. It got to the point that he was able to order anything he wanted - it did not have to be on the days menu. He would order, salmon, steak and spaghetti Bolognese in one sitting and it would not have to be on that days menu. He ordered ribs one evening and the chef made a special gluten free glaze for him. He had shrimp cocktail every evening even fried calamari a couple of times. For lunch he had burgers, pizza, sliced meats. For Breakfast, waffles, pancakes, sausages, toast and omelets. He loved the toast so much. They had a separate toaster for him. They took this seriously. My son is extremely sensitive to gluten and gets sick soon after digesting just a bit. This past weekend we went to the movies and ordered popcorn. We were informed in the past this theater had gluten free popcorn. Believe it or not - not all popcorn is gluten free. Well they changed vendors and my son was so ill. On this cruise he did not have any stomach issues, headaches etc. You just need to be proactive about the situation. Be aggressive but polite. Politeness goes a long way. Don't be distracted by naysayers either. One more thing, I was able to bring snacks on board to take off when we went to Bermuda. You are allowed to do this as long as they are pre-packaged and factory sealed. This way I knew he had something to eat while we were off the ship. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I may not be able to answer til tomorrow but I'll keep an eye out. I don't think you will have an issue. Enjoy your cruise.