Odd question on drink packages

beckyjohns

I understand the drink packages can't be shared (makes sense) and so they will only give you 1 drink at a time. If both my husband and I have a drink package and we both want a drink at the same time, am I able to bring both my card and his and get drinks for both of us? Or do we both have to be physically handing our card to the bartender to get a drink?

I've heard that drink service is rather slow in the dining room and people recommend getting up and getting your own drinks from the bar. I'm totally fine with that, but it would be nice for just 1 of us to be able to get up, rather than totally desert the table to both go get a drink.

I understand the drink packages can't be shared (makes sense) and so they will only give you 1 drink at a time. If both my husband and I have a drink package and we both want a drink at the same time, am I able to bring both my card and his and get drinks for both of us? Or do we both have to be physically handing our card to the bartender to get a drink?

I've heard that drink service is rather slow in the dining room and people recommend getting up and getting your own drinks from the bar. I'm totally fine with that, but it would be nice for just 1 of us to be able to get up, rather than totally desert the table to both go get a drink.

Yes...it has been well documented on these threads that with both cards you will be able to get two drinks 99% of the time. It actually makes it easier on the bartender to ring up two drinks on one receipt, than having to do one drink 2X.

My wife and I had the UBP in May. We had no issue getting drinks for the both of us, by one of us taking both cards to the bar when ordering.

Actually, we met some people aboard the ship....and at different times, one person would take the cards of 3 or 4 people and get drinks. We didn't have any issues, it was very smooth and easy.

It totally depends on what is happening on your ship right then. On our Getaway cruise, we put nearly all drinks on my husband's card. He would go get the drinks, and take along my card just to show, and then would sign for both drinks on his ticket, without me getting up. We did this the entire cruise.

On Epic, they made each of us in person show our own card for every drink, and they would only ring through one drink at a time - his on his card, and mine on my card. This happened the entire cruise, even if both of us were sitting at a bar for a while in front of the same bartender. It was the complete opposite experience of our Getaway cruise.

So it just depends.

I just disembarked the breakaway yesterday. Drink service was not slow at all. No need to leave your table to get a drink. As far as when you are not at dinner and go to the bar, the bartenders will get to know you and allow you to order 2 drinks with just one card. The first few times you will probably need to both be at the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an "odd" question at all.. Aboard the Gem, Dawn, and Breakaway, we never had a problem with just one of us going to get 2 drinks. After a while, I would just go with 1 card, and they still had no problem giving me 2 drinks. I think it all depends on the staff you're dealing with. And keeping with the same server (when possible) and slipping a $5 every once in a while definitely helps a lot too :D:D:D

Not an "odd" question at all.. Aboard the Gem, Dawn, and Breakaway, we never had a problem with just one of us going to get 2 drinks. After a while, I would just go with 1 card, and they still had no problem giving me 2 drinks. I think it all depends on the staff you're dealing with. And keeping with the same server (when possible) and slipping a $5 every once in a while definitely helps a lot too :D:D:D

Definitely agree with slipping a $5 once in a while. Especially if laying out by the pool and waiting for a waiter or if at spice H20 for a party and waiting for a waiter. They will make it a point to keep stopping by and asking if you need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Epic in June we were able to get two drinks on one card by just taking both cards, and charging to whoever went to get the drinks. On quite a few occasions we got two drinks on one card without having the other card with us (because the other had nipped back to the room or similar)

When they "charge" 2 free drinks to 1 card, is there no problem with getting credited back the amount that was "charged"? Is there anything on the receipt that says your drinks were part of the UBP and not an actual charge? I would hate to find out at the end of the cruise that the bartender had been ringing up 2 drinks on 1 card and then I only get comped for 1 drink!

When they "charge" 2 free drinks to 1 card, is there no problem with getting credited back the amount that was "charged"? Is there anything on the receipt that says your drinks were part of the UBP and not an actual charge? I would hate to find out at the end of the cruise that the bartender had been ringing up 2 drinks on 1 card and then I only get comped for 1 drink!
There is nothing on the receipt indicating that the drinks were ordered under the UBP. I don't know if the bartender does anything special when ringing up the drink or if it all happens automatically. This is one thing I don't like about the way they have implemented the UBP, because they make you sign for the full price of the drink and you just have to trust them not to actually charge you.

That said, we have used the UBP many times and I don't think we have ever had an incorrect charge show up. They almost always look at our cards, see the UBP, ask "same room?" and then charge both drinks to one card. I'm not exactly sure why they ask about the room, at first I thought if there were two people with the UBP in the room, they could charge two drinks on either card, if there are 4 UBPs in the same room, one person could sign for up to 4 drinks, and so on, and anything beyond that would be charged normally. But when we go to dinner, sometimes we go through 6+ glasses of wine between the two of us, and they still ring them all up on one slip and it goes through, no charge.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is, everything will probably be fine. :D But you don't have to wait until the end of the cruise to find out, you can check your cabin account throughout the cruise to make sure your UBP is working correctly.

We've done 2 cruises with UBP, and never had a problem. The charges will appear on your account briefly, then are zeroed out, like during the night times.

It really does depend on the bartender. We were on Epic in March and some would take both cards and charge the drinks separately and some would ring two drinks on one card. We got to know the bartender at the martini bar and a couple times he actually just kept our card with the tab open and rang them all through on one slip. If one of you is going to the bar to order two drinks just have both cards so show that you have 2 UBP packages.