Currency Exchange on board RCCL ships

LindaMc

Hi,

We are currently traveling and I just found out that we will need to exchange some of our U.S. Dollars to Canadian dollars while we are on our cruise to Canada. Has anyone done that recently on any RCCL ship? Last year we were on a Princess ship and they had a machine that would do that and the machine was broken most of the time so people were having real troubles getting foreign currency.

Normally I would have done this with our credit union before the ship, but I didn't realize we would need Canada dollars for a specific tour we are doing. I am just hoping that RCCL doesn't have a machine, but still can issue the currency through guest services.

Thanks!

No exchange ATM on RCI ships just regular ATM that issued $USD.

Service desk will exchange your USD for CAD but have high conversion fees. A land base ATM in Canada will likely give you a better exchange rate if a large amount needs to be exchanged. Most tours in Canada will be able to stop at a Cdn bank or ATM to allow you to do so. I see your Brilliance Oct.4 cruise goes to St. John and Halifax. For both stops the ship docks very close to the city center of each so a bank will be within easy walking distance or close by for your tour to stop at. We've done this with private tour operators many times on our stops at foreign ports as it ensures they get paid in their own currency, which typically is what they prefer.

You could also find a Canadian on the roll call for your sailing or onboard who needs USD to pay their onboard account. We've exchange $CAD for $USD with American friends at the current exchange rate thus cutting out the middle man and savings both parties the conversion fees charged for this service. ;)

Edited by robtulipe