First time to this Port

MontgomeryTX57

Having never been to this port I would really appreciate some feedback:

1. Is this island really as "unsafe" as I have heard?

2. What excursion would you recommend?, Private or ship offered?

3. Dunns River Falls, is it difficult to climb?

Ive been all over the Caribbean but this will be my first time here,,,,,just not sure what to expect, or what to do.... Thanks in advance!

Having never been to this port I would really appreciate some feedback:

1. Is this island really as "unsafe" as I have heard?

2. What excursion would you recommend?, Private or ship offered?

3. Dunns River Falls, is it difficult to climb?

Ive been all over the Caribbean but this will be my first time here,,,,,just not sure what to expect, or what to do.... Thanks in advance!

This port is what you make it. It is my family's favorite port. Cruising there next month, and my last visit was about 4 years ago. With that being said, you should always be aware of your surroundings and the people around you, no matter what port you are at. The vendors usually take No for an answer, just avoid eye contact and lingering if you don't want to be harassed. Falmouth is gated, and some choose not to leave that area. If you do, you are on your own.

We visited Dunns River Falls on our first visit, and I think that was one of the highlights. It is crowded, you'll have a guide, and it is about an hour or so drive from Falmouth. You get to see the island on the drive, plus you usually stop for lunch. Most ships offer tours there now, but we used an outside company. The falls are a bit of a hike, but the group forms a chain and holds hands during hard parts. If you have bad knees or trouble with inclines, that would be something to think about.

This trip, we are doing Blue Hole and Scotchies for lunch. We are using Travel Jamaica Tours with Errol as our guide, based purely on high recommendations via Cruise Critic. Blue Hole is perhaps a bit more of a hike than Dunn River, and less touristy....but becoming very popular. Scotchies is a old favorite for lunch and we have three folks who have never visited Jamaica so I figured that would be a treat.

I honestly felt less safe in Cozumel than Falmouth, but I'm sure others feel differently.