Viking Air

Mpc524

our air through Viking is terrible.... Feb 14 cruise.. 4 legs to Rome 3 legs back from Barcelona to Boston.. I tried to have them look at the craziness but was told we didn't purchase the better air for a $50 fee PLUS the price of the difference in the ticket.. If I wanted to do that I would have just booked my own air...

That's insane. How could they possibly route you with that many transfer from a airport hub?

In the UK, Viking market the cruises as "flight inclusive", however you may notify them ahead of ticketing that you wish to travel out or back on a different day for no extra charge. We did this when we stayed on in Istanbul for an extra couple of nights following our Venice - Istanbul cruise on Viking Star last year, the only thing you need to do is to organise your airport transfers which is totally understandable.

Also Viking will give you a price reduction if you wish to book your own air fare and organise any transfers. This amount was £250 per person for last years cruise from Venice to Istanbul and they have recently quoted me £500 per person discount if I wish to organise my own airfare and transfers for my recent booking on the Viking Star for a caribbean cruise in January 2017. This feels a reasonable discount on a £2,400 ticket price if you have plenty of airline air-miles to utilise and wish to make your own plans.

Neil

That's insane. How could they possibly route you with that many transfer from a airport hub?

I am completely at a loss for this routing... friends are flying west coast to east, JFK then FCO.. My "assumption" was we would go BOS JFK, meet them, then FCO.. well we can see how THAT worked out.. I will NEVER let anyone do my air for me again..I just thought it would be so easy to just let VIKING handle everything, including our pre/post cruise stays... :(

Dear JamesD263,

Thank you for your loyalty to Viking Cruises! We are in receipt of your comments and regret to learn of your disappointing experience with our air department.

While it is difficult to discuss specifics without access to your booking information, the restrictions that sparked your frustration were likely linked to the promotional offer you referenced, not the inflexibility of our air department. To ensure our Up To Free Air promotion appeals to our guests and, at the same time, makes business sense, it is typically only valid on the purchase of Viking Air – not Viking Air Plus.

We apologize if this was not previously explained to you, but appreciate the opportunity to clarify. Should you have any questions or wish to discuss your experience further, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Again, we thank you for your loyalty and look forward to the privilege and pleasure of welcoming you aboard again soon!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Dear swafluffy,

We’re sorry to learn of your disappointment. The air schedule you’ve described does sound abnormally convoluted and we are interested in reviewing alternate routes with you.

Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can access your booking information and discuss a resolution.

We hope to hear from you!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

I am completely at a loss for this routing... friends are flying west coast to east, JFK then FCO.. My "assumption" was we would go BOS JFK, meet them, then FCO.. well we can see how THAT worked out.. I will NEVER let anyone do my air for me again..I just thought it would be so easy to just let VIKING handle everything, including our pre/post cruise stays... :(

We had the $95 airfare deal and were originally scheduled to connect thru Philadelphia from DFW to Rome in December. We called Viking about our worries about Philadelphia weather and were rerouted DFW-London-Rome. They were VERY easy to work with! We were so satisfied!

With our Med Odyessy trip last year, we purchases Viking Air Plus and paid a deviation fee (PP) to extend our stay in Venice. Viking explained all costs up front and allowed us input into the flights to and from. I'm sorry others have been discouraged......

Feb 15, 2016 Viking Star - Caribbean

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star – Med Odyssey

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2004 Carnival

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

I am impressed Guest Relations.. I had reached out to Viking as soon as I received the convoluted air itinerary, to no avail... it is very interesting that once I post on CC that I get a "reaction" ... I will be in touch AGAIN tomorrow to discuss not only the air but the Barcelona debacle as well.. Thank You for reaching out

Viking cruises. Thanks for the reply. We are flying from SFO to Montreal on Oct 2nd 2016 and returning from NYC (Newark) 3 days after we leave the ship. I asked my agent to see if Viking would extend my so called " free air offer"to fit the 3 day extended return. The agreed if I paid $200 for air deviation. I have done this on other cruise line that offer "free air". I know that non stops from SFO to Montreal are very limited and one leaves SFO at

7:30 arriving at about 4:00. Most flights stop in Chicago or Dulles and get in too late. Also flights from Newark leave every hour. I wanted a mid afternoon flight to avoid traffic in NYC asbestos we could. Soo I asked to choose my own flights as part of the air deviation fee. I offered to pay any increased cost to Viking. Again all other cruise lines I have asked to do this agreed. NOT VIKING. I was told they would not allow me to choose my flights because Viking only gave the "free" flight promotion because they got special deals from airlines and could not let me choose flight even though I offered to their increase visit if any. Also Viking said if I chose to do my own air They would it give me cruise credit for their reduction in costs since they did pay for whatever their "free air" cost them.

This is there business decision to make. Good luck to them. I have been a loyal customer. Not any more

Well I understand James.. I too am at a loss for all of this air nonsense. Trying to speak to them is like beating your head against a wall. I understand what they told me but it doesn't change the fact that the information given in the beginning of this adventure (2 yrs ago) was NOT explained. So as of today we are stuck with our "convoluted" air, basically I am to be blamed, and I have NO options.. To late to change or cancel air portion without a MAJOR penalty. So we will laugh, fly 4 legs to Rome knowing a COMPUTER does the bookings not a human and STILL enjoy our cruise. February 14 cruise is getting close!

Dear JamesD623 & swafluffy,

We regret to hear you both remain dissatisfied with your flight arrangements after additional discussion with our air department.

If you have any additional questions about our air procedures or wish to discuss your individual concerns further, you are, of course, welcome to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We are looking forward to welcoming you both aboard and are confident, despite your initial disappointment with Viking Air, that you will find your overall experience to be enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking cruises. Thanks for the reply. We are flying from SFO to Montreal on Oct 2nd 2016 and returning from NYC (Newark) 3 days after we leave the ship. I asked my agent to see if Viking would extend my so called " free air offer"to fit the 3 day extended return. The agreed if I paid $200 for air deviation. I have done this on other cruise line that offer "free air". I know that non stops from SFO to Montreal are very limited and one leaves SFO at

7:30 arriving at about 4:00. Most flights stop in Chicago or Dulles and get in too late. Also flights from Newark leave every hour. I wanted a mid afternoon flight to avoid traffic in NYC asbestos we could. Soo I asked to choose my own flights as part of the air deviation fee. I offered to pay any increased cost to Viking. Again all other cruise lines I have asked to do this agreed. NOT VIKING. I was told they would not allow me to choose my flights because Viking only gave the "free" flight promotion because they got special deals from airlines and could not let me choose flight even though I offered to their increase visit if any. Also Viking said if I chose to do my own air They would it give me cruise credit for their reduction in costs since they did pay for whatever their "free air" cost them.

This is there business decision to make. Good luck to them. I have been a loyal customer. Not any more

Well I understand James.. I too am at a loss for all of this air nonsense. Trying to speak to them is like beating your head against a wall. I understand what they told me but it doesn't change the fact that the information given in the beginning of this adventure (2 yrs ago) was NOT explained. So as of today we are stuck with our "convoluted" air, basically I am to be blamed, and I have NO options.. To late to change or cancel air portion without a MAJOR penalty. So we will laugh, fly 4 legs to Rome knowing a COMPUTER does the bookings not a human and STILL enjoy our cruise. February 14 cruise is getting close!

• 2 weeks later...

Having sailed Viking as well as other cruise lines in Europe, we have had some 'interesting' airline experiences (mostly with Delta because of where we live), involving self-booked as well as cruise line-booked. For the most part I have found the following to be true with respect to Viking.

1. If you respond to an really good, "last-minute" offer that doesn't mention air, you will be quoted air prices higher than the website or self-booked fares.

2. At least on Delta you can select a regular coach seat once Viking makes your reservation, but you cannot buy the Economy Comfort seat upgrade until the seat has been paid for by Viking, which is often so late that such seats have already been taken.

That is my biggest complaint with Viking air because I always want to do have that extra room for the long flights. However, that results from the major difference between group and individual booking. If you book your own you pay for the seat at the time of reservation; Viking gets to make payment later even though you may have paid them in full!