Belize River & Altun Ha Tour - Help Please?

JohninAult

Would someone who has been on this tour please let me know how much actual walking there is, and if it is difficult or not.

We want to go on this tour but I have people who can't walk a whole bunch. A little in spurts is fine, but not a lot of walking. NCL rates it a level 1 but it's difficult to understand that.

We went on the Altun Ha bus excursion in January, 2004. We were with a family group of 3 couples, including a BIL who was having trouble with a gout attack. He did just fine. I'm pretty sure there was even one wheelchair being pushed around. I'd estimate the actual walking to be between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile -- but I'm lousy at guessing distances.

There are several stops made along the way, with the guides explaining the various ruins and Mayan culture. When we were there, you weren't allowed to climb the face of any of the temples, but a set of stairs had been built on the side of one of the temples so you could get to the top and get a good view of the region.

We also went to Lamanai in May, 2005, and Altun Ha is definitely easier to get around than Lamanai. I don't know if taking the boat ride adds any additional walking, but I can't imagine it would be too much. I wouldn't want to take my elderly mother on this excursion (she's 88), but relatively healthy folks should do fine. I'm a plus-sized gal who doesn't get much exercise, and I did just fine.

Archived