One Person Canceled from Cruise in 3-Person Cabin

CarolRoy

I booked a cabin for three - third person was free. Just had to pay port charges, etc. Cruise is in two months. Cruise is paid in full. Now the second person is not cruising. It will just be two of us. How will HAL handle this. Haven't contacted HAL yet. Just want to know my options. How far in advance would I have to let HAL know. Have third party insurance.

I booked a cabin for three - third person was free. Just had to pay port charges, etc. Cruise is in two months. Cruise is paid in full. Now the second person is not cruising. It will just be two of us. How will HAL handle this. Haven't contacted HAL yet. Just want to know my options. How far in advance would I have to let HAL know. Have third party insurance.

I think the options are to substitute a third person, or cancel the third person, and probably get the third person's port charges only refunded.

If I understand the situation, three non-related people would have divided the total cost of the stateroom equally. One has cancelled.

Now the remaining two of you will need to do the same (divide the room cost, but in two shares) if you both still want to go.

Whether any insurance coverage applies is a question for your insurance company and probably depends on whether you actually cancel the cabin, obviously whether the cancellation reason was covered under the policy, and so on.

HAL might allow a name change assuming you can come up with another person who wants to go and become your new third passenger.

We had similar situation 2 years ago. HAL was IMO very accommodating, they allowed us to add a different person when 1 canceled at the last minute. We had insurance thru an independent insurer, and they would have covered the cost of the cancellation (it was due to a covered reason) but the person that had to cancel was the "3rd guest" on the manifest which meant the cost of her cruise was negligible (just the tax and port charges). Had the person that cancelled been listed (and charged) as the first or second passenger then the insurance would have covered much more. It turned out fine because my niece jumped in at the last minute and went along.

OP Here: The second person on the manifest (three in the cabin) is canceling. She has independent insurance. Hopefully when I call HAL, they will be able to take her off and put the third person as the second one in the cabin. Third person was free except for port charges and taxes. Don't know if we would get these port charges and fees back. And if HAL will not charge us anything for this change. Cruise if sailing Dec. 6, 2015. Not sure when I should call HAL. What is the latest I should call HAL?